Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Malkin?

Dobber Sports Master

You play it safe at all times when it is one of the cornerstones of your franchise. You may push it if you are in danger of not making the playoffs or during the playoffs, not now.

It may not even be related to his knee ffs. People ruin their teams in Oct by not being patient. This is one of those times where you should be calming the **** down and just wait to see what happens.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Wedgy View Post
    You play it safe at all times when it is one of the cornerstones of your franchise. You may push it if you are in danger of not making the playoffs or during the playoffs, not now.

It may not even be related to his knee ffs. People ruin their teams in Oct by not being patient. This is one of those times where you should be calming the **** down and just wait to see what happens.
    Just to be clear everything I suggest is based on a one year league, I would err on the side of patience if this were a keeper.

Having said that, I respectfully disagree with you about calming the **** down and just waiting to see what happens. There's a time and place for that course of action, and there's a time and place for cutting your losses and potentially saving your season by making a shrewed, well-timed trade.

Everyone who calmed the **** down and waited to see what happens got screwed over last year... judging by your tone, it sounds like you never had to deal with the anxiety of owning him last year - otherwise you would feel more sympathetic to those in this thread who are panicking.

All it takes is one announcement for his stock to plummet and there goes your season, and everything that balysma is saying right now sounds like bullshit to me.
    Last edited by blayze; October 10, 2011 at 5:06 PM.

Dobber Sports Master

I own Malkin in my keeper league and I owned Malkin in one of my one year H2H leagues last year and drafted him again this year. I'm well aware of the history. I have been playing it cool until I have information to base a decision on. I'm not gonna trade Geno Malkin for whatever I can get right now. His value is so low that I wouldn't get a good return even if I thought that was a good idea.

That is my approach. Right now, the only info we have is people on Dobber panicking and a bunch of what ifs from the media.... Not enough to base a decision on in my opinion.

The Great One

Lol- wow!!! Wish I was in some of these leagues- Malkin for Giroux? And its a steal??? Right...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

You're acting like Malkin is the second coming. I agree that you should not trade him for whatever. I would not trade him straight up for Giroux, as well. But, Giroux AND Yandle for him? I mean, common, how can you not seriously consider that? A top forward and a top defenseman would be a good return for Geno. I know some of you really think that Malkin can score 150 points in a season. I'm not sure on what this is based on, but I sure don't believe it for a second. First of all, he would need to be able to stay on the ice, which has been a real problem for him for a few years now.

BTW - I would also love to be in a league where some of the GMs would overrate Geno like crazy. I could get the moon for him.
    12-Team One-Year League Rotisserie
    G A +/- PPP SOG HIT W GAA SV% SHO
    Daily Start 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2G
    The Maroons
    The Wanderers

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Calimero View Post
    You're acting like Malkin is the second coming. I agree that you should not trade him for whatever. I would not trade him straight up for Giroux, as well. But, Giroux AND Yandle for him? I mean, common, how can you not seriously consider that? A top forward and a top defenseman would be a good return for Geno. I know some of you really think that Malkin can score 150 points in a season. I'm not sure on what this is based on, but I sure don't believe it for a second. First of all, he would need to be able to stay on the ice, which has been a real problem for him for a few years now.

BTW - I would also love to be in a league where some of the GMs would overrate Geno like crazy. I could get the moon for him.
    Lol- maybe because he scored 113 and lead his team to a cup as a 23 year old?? If Stamkos did that hed simply be unattainable inany league. Hell hes damn well unattainable now and he doesnt have that resume. Hes rehabbing from a major injury- growing pains are to be expected. Before that he had 3 remarkably complete seasons of 78, 82 and 82. He has looked absolutely dominant so far this season. Im personally acting like hes the second coming because he is. He is a generational player without question. Unless that knee injury has ruined his career, Maybe it has- maybe this is Forsbergs ankle all over again. I personally need more proof and dont think thats the case. If this was indeed a puck off the foot in warmup it would be hilarious!

If hes healthy hes worth 16 Yandles...

The Great One

Other factors:

- I have ZERO faith Giroux hits even 90, Great player but the way Philly spreads icetime itd be a miracle for him to get there. I think ppg is optimistic and a good target.

- Who does Yandle have to play with? That roster is beyond horrible.

- I think absolute upsides are very misleading. 150 almost seems unattainable these days. I think 125-130 is at least a hope with Malkin and if he is indeed healthy you can start to expext 100-110 as a baseline- theres only two other players Id put there- Vrvata and Ray Whitney...

Whoa, I'm speechless! You really do think he's the second coming. I saw both his games this season, and he was certainly not as dominant as you're saying. He was good, yes, but that's it. I don't care about what he did in the preseason. A lot of players are super dominant in preseasons, it doesn't mean anything. But, hey, I hope you are right about him because there sure is nobody like you in my league. So, he's not going anywhere.
    The Maroons
    The Wanderers

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Calimero View Post
    Whoa, I'm speechless! You really do think he's the second coming. I saw both his games this season, and he was certainly not as dominant as you're saying. He was good, yes, but that's it. I don't care about what he did in the preseason. A lot of players are super dominant in preseasons, it doesn't mean anything. But, hey, I hope you are right about him because there sure is nobody like you in my league. So, he's not going anywhere.
    This is just funny now- do yourself a favor- offer him to Girouxs owner and ask for a 45 point d-man coming back. Spare yourself the headache.

Good point on the pre-seaon- I must be a complete tool and total lunkhead to suggest that his dominant play might have any relevance to this season. It must be a chore to deal with rank amateurs like me on this board consistently. By the way- do a lot of players have 113 point seasons also? Just curious. Do they score 50 goals and 106 as a sophomore? Not sure on that if you could clarify. How about better than a point per game as a rookie? Thats common right?

For the record I traded Nash and CC for him and have no regrets.

You really should stop crying and trade him...

I'm not sure who's the one crying more here. You or me? I can see that you have a lot of love for Malkin (you certainly not the only one on this site though). I'm sorry if I'm upsetting you by criticizing him. I agree with you that what he did in his first 3 seasons is fantastic. But, can you tell me what exactly he has done since then? And more importantly, if he will ever get back to his previous level? I'm far from convinced he will.

As for trading him, like I mentioned previously to someone else in that thread, I just wish I could. But, I'm not stupid, I will not trade him if I cannot get good value for him.
    The Maroons
    The Wanderers

The Great One

I cant tell you he can get back there- no one can. Im saying I think he will- Im betting he will. If you're betting he wont than maybe look at moving him. For me as miserable as it is seeing him injured here- Id be twice as miserable moving him for safer pieces and than watching him go supernova.

Have you tried shopping him?

I find it crazy you couldnt get a Giroux/Yandle type of package at this point. Put him on the block- start a bidding war. Again I wouldnt- but if you think thats a good package for him Im sure you could get that in 90% of leagues out there.

Well, my league is definitely in the 10%. Nobody believes in Malkin anymore in my league. I cannot say I blame them, the guy hasn't done a thing for years now. I did put Malkin on the trading block last year. You want to know what happened? I got two ridiculous offers.

Offer #1: AK46 for him. Sure, I'm really that stupid.
    Offer #2: Brad Richards for him. Better, but still way off.

If someone would offer me a very good forward (85+ points) and a very good defenseman for him (55+ points) I sure would seriously consider it.
    The Maroons
    The Wanderers

The Great One

Not to be adversarial again but with offers like that Id find it hard to consider trading a viable route to bettering your team in that league. Those arent just bad offers for Malkin- they are just plain bad. There is literally no format/scenario where anyone would ever consider those. To me thats less a reflection of Malkins value and moreso a reflection of the other gms stinginess/uninformedness/or ineptitude when it comes to structuring meaningful trade offers. The AK one must have been a joke and the Richards one was obviously trying to fleece you.

To each their own but to me Malkin warrants a better return tha Giroux/Yandle at this point.

Dobber Sports Stud

Would you trade him for Ryan/Burns? Staal/Letang? I would be giving Malkin/Carlsson.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by lektrix View Post
    Would you trade him for Ryan/Burns? Staal/Letang? I would be giving Malkin/Carlsson.
    There ya go! Ryan/Burns is a reasonable facsimile of Giroux/Yandle. I think Ryan is a dominant young winger of Girouxs ilk and Burns is likely trending upwards in SJ wheras Yandle likely trends down a bit in that clown show in the desert they're calling a hockey team which puts them in the same conversation.

You finally got a real offer..