Thread: Backes for JvR

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Backes for JvR

Team and info in sig.

I have Backes and I thought about offering him up for JvR before a potential breakout kills the opportunity. Thoughts?
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Pro

If you can do it great!
    However, if I had JVR I would be asking a lot.
    He's gonna have a break out season and be given every opportunity to succeed there in philly.
    if his playoff performance tells us anything about his future, it's gonna be nice.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Giant

id give it a try. some people are very high on backes as a multi cat stud.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsrangers View Post
    id give it a try. some people are very high on backes as a multi cat stud.
    very true.
    And I feel JVR will be a multi-cat stud too.
    Big body that' doesn't mind throwing a hit.
    In college he had 47 PIMs in 36 games, now with more ice time we could see him as a 30G-30A-70PIM player.

Keepers

Dobber Sports Ace

personally i like backes in this situation. i see JVR turning into the player backes already is. personally i dont see JVR constantly surpassing backes year in and year out. maybe one or 2 seasons but i think if JVR hits his potential they will be neck and neck. i dont see why you would trade a guy who is still only 28 and has already proven himself and has time to grow for a guy who could be there one day. I think some ppl on here are expecting huge things out of JVR. I expect similar stats to backes IF everything goes right for him
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP

Dobber Sports Expert

I like this move. It may take 2 years for you to get the best of it, but I do think we've seen the best Backes has to offer. His point totals in the low 60s, a +/- of over 30, 200+ SOG and PIM near 100. Backes is multi-cat gold, but I think JVR has potential to be better.

Almost everyone would concede JVR has an upside well beyond 60-65 points. He had 170+ SOG last year and will have additional ice time and opportunity for that # to grow. He fired 70 SOG in only 11 post-season games last year to give you an indication of how much this guy loves to shoot. SOG will be close as JVR matures.

+/- goes up and down every year so one simply can't bank on that stat too much. Both have stellar G and fairly deep teams so don't weight one too much higher than another.

PIM will almost certainly go to Backes, but he's not a machine in this department.

I think JVR hits close to 60 points this year [about even with Backes] and I believe he can approach 80 in the near future riding shotgun with Giroux. That raw upside makes me prefer him as soon as next year...and this year should be very close.

If you can get it done I'd go for this. I think it's a shrewd attempt to sell one player at the highest point and acquire a player who has yet to take that next step.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by diamondback87 View Post
    personally i like backes in this situation. i see JVR turning into the player backes already is. personally i dont see JVR constantly surpassing backes year in and year out. maybe one or 2 seasons but i think if JVR hits his potential they will be neck and neck. i dont see why you would trade a guy who is still only 28 and has already proven himself and has time to grow for a guy who could be there one day. I think some ppl on here are expecting huge things out of JVR. I expect similar stats to backes IF everything goes right for him
    This is exactly how I feel about these two players. Well said DB87.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by diamondback87 View Post
    Count another vote for this statement. I like JVR but he's being hyped a lot this year and I'd be surprised if he could match Backes production in your league format.

I think your team looks very solid and should be a contender...why give up a proven (still young) commodity for potential?
    10-team Auction League, $160 team salary, weekly H2H, start: 6F, 4D, 1G and 5 Bench

Scoring structure: (F : 1pt G / 1pt A / 0.15pts SOG / 0.15pts Hits / 0.15pts BlkS), (G : 5 pts W / 3 pts SO / 0.01 pts Saves)

Forwards : Ovechkin ($43), Kessel ($20), Benn ($7), Spezza ($13), Brown ($7), Marchand ($13), Landeskog ($3), Elias ($1), Plekanec ($1),

Defenses : Letang ($26), Visnovsky ($1), Bieksa ($1), Faulk ($2) Ehrhoff ($2)

Goalies : Holtby ($7), Nabokov ($2)

Dobber Sports Pro

true Backes is already proven.
    but i feel like last year was a career year for him and I don't expect him to repeat it.
    With a healthy McDonald & Oshie, the emergence of Berglund, and additions of Arnott I feel his ice time and numbers could dip.
    Where as JVR has the opposite problem. Good players leaving, ice time going up and a pedigree greateer than Backes.

Just my thoughts though.

Keepers

Dobber Sports Ace

i understand your reasoning but with backes

McDonald and Oshie never stay healthy, sure their healthy now but i dont honestly think they will play even over 70 games.

Arnott was acquired for depth and leadership. In no way shape or form do i see Arnott cutting into the top 2 centers ice time. The guy has been falling steadily for the past 4 years.

Berglund is emerging but Backes is still ahead of him on the depth chart and i think berglund is emerging more into a 2nd line center rather than a top line player

For JVR yes a lot of good players left but carter and richards left... both centers. i dont see how them leaving impacts JVR realistically. yes he will be relied on more heavily to provide offence but he doesnt get moved up the depth chart because of those moves. i like JVR. I think he is gonna be a beast but i often think peoples expectations are way to high for him. Yes he is solid but i seriously doubt he is gonna get 80pts this year or any year for that matter. Maybe maybe 1 year of out his career but i doubt that. I think that people expect a lot out of him after seeing him in the playoffs and him being drafted that high. personally i dont feel he has all the tools to become a 80pt player but who knows i could be wrong

i once said brendl was gonna be a beauty in the NHL and my grandma always said he will never make it cause he is lazy and floats at the blue line. i think she was pretty dead on with that one lol
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP