Thread: 10/01/11 - Studs & Duds [#RazorFail]

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Default 10/01/11 - Studs & Duds [#RazorFail]

Studs and Duds
    October 1st

~ Express

Studs

3) Nashville vs. Winnipeg

What a great game. From Scheifele's fourth preseason goal, to utility knife Weber denying a sure goal. Lindback made plenty of highlight reel saves and Cal O'Reilly had an amazing birthday, one goal and shoot out winner.

If you get the chance to watch some replays, definitely check out this game's recaps.

2) Rising in DC

Other players may have had better stat lines last night, but it was a dandy to see Brouwer on the top line. Taking a quick peek at FrozenPool, Brouwer has played at least fifty percent of his preseason playing on a line with Ovechkin.

26.83% EV 20 BROUWER,TROY - 90 JOHANSSON,MARCUS - 8 OVECHKIN,ALEXANDER
    21.95% EV 19 BACKSTROM,NICKLAS - 20 BROUWER,TROY - 8 OVECHKIN,ALEXANDER
    1.46% EV 20 BROUWER,TROY - 50 EAKIN,CODY - 8 OVECHKIN,ALEXANDER
    Last night: two assists (one PPA), four shots on goal and four hits. Could be in for a great season, should that trend continue.

1) #HeroHanky

Lundqvist was able to snag a win in front of his hometown of Gothenburg, Sweden. He was treated like royalty last night which seen him receive a certificate that made him an ambassador to the city. Constant chants, a standing ovation and even had the song "You're a Superstar" play after a beauty save during the second period.

Lundqvist admitted that after the pregame ceremony that reflected career highlights, he had trouble focusing :

"Usually I'm very focused going into the game and know what to do, but here there were so many things in my head in the first period that I felt very uncomfortable playing," he added. "I tried to enjoy it, but I was nervous and excited at the same time."

"You just start to think about all the things you've been through," Lundqvist said. "I came here as a 16 year old. I started following this team when I was 5 -- my dad took me to my first game and it's been my dream to play here. Then you're out there and you realize I'm playing against my twin brother, against Frolunda with the New York Rangers and I get THIS before the game. It's just a lot to take in all at once.

Dud

1-2-3) #RazorFail

All three dud positions go to Ray Emery and his failed Marty Turco attempt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o3YM7JF8is

Nice way to earn that back up position! Might as well pack up your bags and apply to Gillette!

Quick Hit

From NHL.com :

"Red Wings' defenseman Brendan Smith was sent to Grand Rapids of the AHL on Friday after he was suspended for eight games - the remainder of the preseason and five regular-season games - for a hit to the head of Chicago's Ben Smith on Wednesday.

He wasn't expected to make Detroit's roster."

It appears that Crosby ruled out his services for the season opener.

And as per Darren Dreger: "Streamlined and smaller cap shoulder pads will be mandatory as early as next season."
    Last edited by GMGates; October 1, 2011 at 4:09 PM.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Confused about your dating system GM - these games were played September 30th, right. Being so many time zones away from NA makes it difficult for me to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Confused about your dating system GM - these games were played September 30th, right. Being so many time zones away from NA makes it difficult for me to be sure.
    I can see why that would happen!

These write ups take place after the games are completed, and are usually published after midnight. So technically speaking, friday night's games get recapped the following day. Much like Angus or Dobber when they publish the next day's ramblings (or the first chunk of it) the night before.

Heading into the season though, it's more likely that they will published the next day. I am actually going to write a post about the future of the Studs & Duds right after this!

Oh and Carter - 10/6 baby!
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Illogical - Studs and Duds for October 1st - then it doesn't matter what day they are published and there certainly won't be much confusion. Dis be an international website, baby, enough of the temporalcentricity!

Illogical - Studs and Duds for October 1st - then it doesn't matter what day they are published and there certainly won't be much confusion. Dis be an international website, baby, enough of the temporalcentricity!
    It would be more so the publish date of the feature
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Demi-God

What? Is the focus of the article the hockey games or the date you publish things?

What? Is the focus of the article the hockey games or the date you publish things?
    I'd like to treat it as a news publication and assume it is going for print the next day.

Technically I could tell the crew to only release their reports the following day and be done with it.

So while the focus is on the games, it boils down to how I envisioned categorizing them.
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah I don't want to make this too big a thing - but if I go to the library I look for a book by it's title not by the date the librarian put it on the shelf. So if I come to the S & D archives for the article on a particular night's games, it seems logical I would look for them under the date they were played, not the date they were played + 1 or maybe not +1 if they snuck onto the site the same night of the games. As far as I can tell, your articles do not indicate the date on which the games were played.

The reason I bring this up is that I was reading your article dated Oct 1 and couldn't for the life of me figure out what games you were talking about for a while. It was hmmm - how did I miss the recap on that game?

Do whatever you like, I'll figure it out eventually - I'm kinda old-fashioned with stuff like this - need to get with the next generation of naming things.
    Last edited by Shoeless; October 2, 2011 at 4:35 PM.

Don't sweat it Rick, I appreciate the concern and feedback.

You have a totally valid argument and make a great case. Heck, you are probably 100% right, and the "next generation of naming things" can just be me messing up the proper format.

What I will do and get the guys to follow through is clearly indicate which (night) Stud's and Dud's they are writing about.

So Tyler, who is jumping on to do the Sunday games, will put Monday's date but put a little header stating that it is Sunday night's recap.
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Demi-God

That will probably help. I am likely to spend the rest of today trying to figure out why the date of the report is more important than the date of the event being reported in this case - but heck it's a national holiday here - lots of time to kill.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Oh, by the way - the Studs and Duds is the one thing I read in this section of the forums religiously. Love it.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Rick's point makes much more sense in my opinion.

If I am writing about the Studs and Duds for Sunday's games, it should be labelled as such. Not by the date you publish it.

You guys are killing me!! (in a good way)

Enough so that you might have actually won me over.

I have been broken. I am convinced.

--

The date of the feature really is of no concern, and you guys have displayed the positives.

Starting tonight, the Studs and Duds will be titled after the games instead of the publish date.

I will update the other thread.

Thanks guys (and for the nod on the feature Rick!)
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Not so fast Gates - I think you might be onto something really hot here. Suppose you get the S & B's written but only publish them at the end of the week as a random group with no dates on them except the publishing date and have folks try and figure out which article belongs to which day of the week. Kinda like a version of scrambled word.

Ahh maybe not, I would rather play that game where you get people to guess what the S & B is going to say before it is published - at least then you have daily rather than weekly action.

Then there is always hide the S&B - post it in various places on the forums and see if people can find it.

Brooks Laich had a pretty decent stat line don't you think?