Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Challenge MT's theory?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by little_boyes_semin View Post
    Dude, why did you feel the need to come in this thread and forget about Pronger and Varlamov.
    Quote of the thread. Quite awesome.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Genius

Wow, what a thread!

I like the idea of having tandems, though it certainly won't kill a team to mix it up either. Is the key word in the term "elite tandem", tandem, or is it elite? I have to believe it's the latter. Especially since aside from a snake draft it can be very difficult to obtain a H.Sedin/D.Sedin, Ovechkin/Backstrom, or Getzlaf/Perry type combo.

News Flash! Those guys are good, everybody wants to get that kind of player. Why? Because they play together? Uh, no, they just happen to be championship material with or without their "significant other".

I don't know, my idea is probably too crazy to ever work. Has anyone ever won a pool without acquiring gratuitous tandems?
    Last edited by hockeymanG23; October 4, 2011 at 4:20 AM.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Think about it...

At the end of the season, you can rank every player... 1 to x... based on how much value they would have provided your team.

To draft tandems, you would either have to deviate from that ranked order (an illogical move), or get extremely lucky with your draft positioning.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Actually hockeymanG23, MT stresses the fact that it is "elite tandemS" as in you have to have multiple tandems. That way you still have one tandem going if the opponent's scrubs cancel out the other tandem. Or something, I dunno. The whole thing sounds really difficult to attain.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Master

Has MT entered this draft? If so, which team is he?

Dobber Sports Initiate

MT did join briefly, unfortunately he brought his VERY LONG winded posts with him. Also, he wanted a very specific set of stats and positions. He eventually got pissed and left.

So we all just drafted Tandems instead.. hahaha and yes we definitly had to reach to get them.

I'm new to this convo, and only vaguely aware of the details re the theory. But it seems to me, MT, it would hold more validity in a points-only league.

I would think periph stats would off-set or negate any benefit of owning the tandem. No?

EDIT: MT bailed?!? Unreal....
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; October 4, 2011 at 10:40 AM.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Expert

he doesn't have time for friendship or validating his theory or any of us lowly non reality based internet using humans.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by skostoff View Post
    Also, he wanted a very specific set of stats and positions.
    If his strategy/theory is supposedly guaranteed to be successful and hole-proof as he suggested, it shouldn't matter what are the H2H settings. The amount of time he spent explaining and defending it, you would think he'd be happy to prove its success.

Also as mentioned, when you add peripheral categories, I would guess that this could throw a wrench into this strategy, due to a variety of player values. I have no fact to back up this statement, however.

Dobber Sports Expert

Horrorfan,

You are on the right track though, I think the success of tandems is very limited and works in a points only league. even in a league with Goals and Assists and wouldn 't be very effective, not to mention adding FW, shots, hits or blocked shots..
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Initiate

We all impose our own strategy that we feel will be successful. Are we successful because of the strategy we use or do we use our results to validate a strategy. I think its a little bit of both.

To say one persons strategy is superior to another is classifying things wrong. We can use any strategy available but its all about how we implement it that defines our success. MT's theory works for him, and he has clearly given it some thought and knows the small nuances of the strategy that can often times be difficult to articulate.

I am glad that we can joke about different strategies as this environment should be humorous and light. Just as long as we dont discount the opportunity for learning. I personally find it fascinating to hear other peoples strategies. I may not agree with them or try to implement them but maybe there is a small part of that strategy that i can use to modify my own strategy. To just discount the strategy because you dont perceive any value on the surface is only hurting yourself. Not saying all strategies have value but i am going to take each strategy i hear into perspective to see if i can find any value in it.

After all the overall goal is to grow as a fantasy GM, why not take every opportunity to progress. Sometimes knowledge you find that isnt successful is just as beneficial.
    UFHP - Y! 12 GMs - 23/8 pro/farm - keep 17 + all farm
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, FW; GS, W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backstrom, Crosby, Little, Zetterberg, Rask
    LW: Foligno, Ehlers, Skinner, Hartnell, Jokinen, Ladd
    RW: Tarasenko, Kessel, Nash, Marner
    D: Keith, Karlsson, Klingberg, Werenski, Barrie, Manson
    G: Price, Murray, Andersen

Farm:
    C: Keller
    LW: Fiala, Heinen
    RW: Gurianov
    D: Sergachev, Beaulieu, Manning, Borowiecki
    G: Forsberg, Driedger

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    Actually hockeymanG23, MT stresses the fact that it is "elite tandemS" as in you have to have multiple tandems. That way you still have one tandem going if the opponent's scrubs cancel out the other tandem. Or something, I dunno. The whole thing sounds really difficult to attain.
    I confess, I am still entirely confused LOL

I think you guys are right in regards tandems working in a points only league. Adding PIMs, FW, Hits, BS, etc. adds too many variables. So I'm sure it has its time and place.

I will absolutely vouch for it with SHP though. I have M. Richards and Giroux on my team and last year they were dyn-o-mite for that category! Elite PK tandem boyz!
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Master

MT took his ball and went home? Hahahaha!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Funny thing is I am actually going to try and use the Tantalizing Twin strategy tonight in a pool. We'll see how it goes.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Just finished up a one-year draft with my friends..I got two tandems but I don't think I did it right.

I got Ladd/Byfuglien and Tavares/Okposo.

Goddamnit.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!