Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2011-12 NHL Fantasy Sleeper Top Ten Forwards

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default 2011-12 NHL Fantasy Sleeper Top Ten Forwards

With little time remaining before the 2011-12 NHL season begins fantasy hockey players are frantically searching for late round sleeper picks and hidden gems. This list is your key to help with drafting those dark horse players. Some of these players may emerge from obscurity to fantasy hockey relevance this season.

10. Andy Miele, Phoenix
    The Phoenix Coyotes won the sweepstakes to sign college sensation and last year's Hobey Baker winner. Miele has begun to draw comparisons to players like Martin St. Louis and Derek Roy after his stellar performance with the US National team at last year's World tournament. Not just because of his small stature (5-8, 175) but because of his skills and skating abilities and his tenacity. So far in preseason Miele has been very impressive. With Kyle Turris still unsigned, it increases the chances of Miele being in the lineup for Phoenix on opening night.

9. Anton Lander, Edmonton
    Lander was the captain for Sweden at last year’s World Junior Tournament. Lander was also team mates with Paajarvi in Timra for three seasons. The duo may be reunited in Edmonton again soon. The 20 year old may soon be the perfect second line center as he plays a responsible and gritty all-around game. He has played very well and looks like he is NHL ready during the preseason games. With Sam Gagner out it would seem that Lander is likely to start the season with Edmonton.

8. Matt Frattin, Toronto
    The Leafs signed Frattin out of college last year. Frattin was one of the finalists for the Hobey baker award. Frattin scored 60 points in 44 WCHA games last year. At the end of the season Frattin played one game for the Leafs. After the game Leafs GM Brian Burke declared “Frattin looked like an NHL player to me”. Frattin has had a very good preseason. At the moment it looks like a toss up between Kadri and Frattin as to who gets the left wing spot on the third line with Bozak and Armstrong.

7. Craig Smith, Nashville
    The NCAA star played for team USA at last years World Championship and didn’t look out of place. Smith was tied with Blake Wheeler for scoring leadership on the US team. Smith also dominated at rookie camp scoring six goals and an assist in two games. Nashville GM David Poile listed Smith’s two games as one of the top rookie game performances he has seen in the last 14 years. “He was as dominant a player as I’ve seen in a rookie tournament in all the years I’ve been with the Predators.”

6. Paul Byron, Calgary
    Acquired from Buffalo in the Robin Regehr trade Calgary has publicly declared Byron ready for scoring line duties in the NHL. Based on his 99 point season in the QMJHL and his point per game pace in the AHL, Byron may be just that. The preseason has allowed Byron the opportunity to confirm Calgary management's confidence in him. Byron has reaffirmed that opinion with a sound showing in the preseason games. He should have a starting job as a result when the season starts.

5. Stephan Da Costa, Ottawa
    Another prized NCAA free agent signing, Da Costa had a brief four game audition with the Sens last season that was underwhelming. Already 22 years old, Da Costa will try to force a full season audition and reward the Sens for signing him to the maximum entry level deal. He has looked good in the preseason. With Peter Regin out for a couple of months with a hip injury Da Costa's chances of making the lineup have improved.

4. Evgeny Grachev, St. Louis
    Grachev is a big talented winger who has been very impressive in preseason games this year, scoring three goals in three games to date. Grachev produced impressive OHL stats (80 points in 60 games) but was unable to dominate in the AHL. Grachev is now on his second NHL audition with St. Louis as he was acquired in a trade with the New York Rangers.Competition for spots is tight in St. Louis this year but if Grachev continues to play the way he has so far in the preseason it will be hard not to open a spot for him

3. Fabian Brunnstrom, Detroit
    Detroit has a knack for finding players previously considered to be done in the NHL and bringing them back (Todd Bertuzzi, Mike Modano, Larry Murphy, Dan Cleary, etc). Now Detroit has given Brunnstrom an opportunity by inviting him to training camp. Brunnstrom has played very well so far and the fact that his main competition Jan Mursak who has suffered an ankle injury a contract with Detroit seems inevitable. Look for Wings GM ken Holland to make it a one way NHL contract to avoid exposing Brunnstrom to waivers.

2. Matt Read, Philadelphia
    Read is yet another small but supremely skilled college player. Read not only produced impressive WCHA stats (35 points in 37 games) he also posted over point per game numbers in a brief AHL audition (13 points in 11 games) In the NHL preseason Read is leading the league with six points in four games. Competition for lineup spots is very tough in Philadelphia but Read's play is forcing management to keep a spot for him. If they can't fit him in right now he will certainly be an early injury call up.

1. Joakim Lindstrom, Colorado
    This summer Colorado signed Lindstrom to a one way $600,000 contract. Lidstrom has looked impressive in training camp playing on a line wit Paul Stastny and David Jones. At times the line dominated. Lindstrom has had other chances at a spot in the NHL with Columbus and Phoenix in the past that fell short. He has continued to develop his game since those early days. This continued progress was demonstrated by Lidstrom last year when he lead the Swedish Elite league by scoring 60 points in 54 games. This preseason Lidstrom has continued to impress. It looks like his spot with Stastny and Jones is solid as Stastny has played with no other wingers in the preseason.

It is important to remember when drafting that these players MAY have significant success this season but should be considered risky picks. Build your core with reliable and dependable proven assets before complimenting your bench with these players. These sleeper picks can help you win your pool but only if you draft them in the appropriate round. Good luck!
    Last edited by pharling; September 29, 2011 at 8:59 AM.
    Follow me on twitter: @pharling

Dobber Sports Pro

This was a great list!

A quick edit though as you have Read listed at the end of Grachev's paragraph. Also, there's some funky symbols throughout, but they just make it even more entertaining to read.

Thanks so much for this list and the updates on these prospects!

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Whoops, had a little cut and paste mistake I guess. No idea about the symbols, strange?
    Thanks for the heads up and kind words. Glad you enjoyed reading it.

Dobber Sports Ace

Good read, I love the paragraph at the bottom just reminding everyone that it is not a good idea to just draft this list you do need to draft reliable producers first, brilliant.
    12 Team H2H keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Hits, GWG & SOG. W, GAA, SV% & SHO
    Daily changes, Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 1F 2W 2G - 10 Bench

Dobber Sports Padawan

Great list...but even if he's on the top of your list, Lindstrom ain't Lidstrom yet!!

What kind of upside do you think is realistic for Lander for this season and next?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

This was excellent.
    Sending more REP your way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    Great list...but even if he's on the top of your list, Lindstrom ain't Lidstrom yet!!

What kind of upside do you think is realistic for Lander for this season and next?
    The injury to Gagner helps Landers chances of making the team, at least for 9 games. Not sure he will be able to stick as they have Gagner, RNH, Horcoff, and Belanger. On the outside chance he makes team all season and even plays second line minutes with MPS, best case scenario is 30 points. Worst case scenario he plays AHL. It will be tough to hold him back in AHL next season tho.
    Imagine this as their top two lines next season
    Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Paajarvi-lander-Omark
    Next season 30-40 points is within reach IMO

Default Update:

Leafs Nazem Kadri is reported to be out three to four weeks with a knee injury. This should make Frattin a lock to start the season in the NHL

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Great stuff. I have three of these players and I still have my fingers cross. Wish me luck.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Interesting read. My only bone to pick is I'm not sure what injury you're talking about that Peter Regin has... Sens are optimistic he'll be back for the opener and he's been sidelined with a shoulder injury, not hip.
    10-team - 1yr, h2h Yahoo! - 2 Waiver pickups/week
    G,A,+/-,Hits,PPP,SOG,W,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily starts: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2 UTIL, 2G, 6BE

C: B.Richards, Grabovski, MacKinnon, Kesler
    LW: Vanek(RW), Pacioretty,
    RW: Ovechkin, Iginla, Wheeler, Okposo, Neil
    D: Letang, Green, Phaneuf
    G: Crawford, Price, Pavelec
    IR: R. Nash

You are right. My bad, had bad internet info. (This just in, not everything you read online is true!)
    So it is in fact his shoulder he injured hitting Liles. Same shoulder he had surgery on.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Great Article

I agree with most of your picks. I also thing Lindstrom is the biggest sleeper of all if he sticks on a line with Stastny and Jones he should have a very productive season.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Opps. Paul Byron was sent to the AHL today.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by kbooks View Post
    Opps. Paul Byron was sent to the AHL today.
    Thats why they are called potential sleepers. May get called back up.

Great job Pharling, hopefully I can get a couple of the guys at the end of my draft on Saturday. Had a few targetted but this now confirms.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by pharling View Post
    With little time remaining before the 2011-12 NHL season begins fantasy hockey players are frantically searching for late round sleeper picks and hidden gems. This list is your key to help with drafting those dark horse players. Some of these players may emerge from obscurity to fantasy hockey relevance this season.

10. Andy Miele, Phoenix (Still with Phoenix)
    The Phoenix Coyotes won the sweepstakes to sign college sensation and last year's Hobey Baker winner. Miele has begun to draw comparisons to players like Martin St. Louis and Derek Roy after his stellar performance with the US National team at last year's World tournament. Not just because of his small stature (5-8, 175) but because of his skills and skating abilities and his tenacity. So far in preseason Miele has been very impressive. With Kyle Turris still unsigned, it increases the chances of Miele being in the lineup for Phoenix on opening night.

9. Anton Lander, Edmonton (Still with the team)
    Lander was the captain for Sweden at last year’s World Junior Tournament. Lander was also team mates with Paajarvi in Timra for three seasons. The duo may be reunited in Edmonton again soon. The 20 year old may soon be the perfect second line center as he plays a responsible and gritty all-around game. He has played very well and looks like he is NHL ready during the preseason games. With Sam Gagner out it would seem that Lander is likely to start the season with Edmonton.

8. Matt Frattin, Toronto (Will be on ice for openning game)
    The Leafs signed Frattin out of college last year. Frattin was one of the finalists for the Hobey baker award. Frattin scored 60 points in 44 WCHA games last year. At the end of the season Frattin played one game for the Leafs. After the game Leafs GM Brian Burke declared “Frattin looked like an NHL player to me”. Frattin has had a very good preseason. At the moment it looks like a toss up between Kadri and Frattin as to who gets the left wing spot on the third line with Bozak and Armstrong.

7. Craig Smith, Nashville (Still has a shot at making the team for openning night)
    The NCAA star played for team USA at last years World Championship and didn’t look out of place. Smith was tied with Blake Wheeler for scoring leadership on the US team. Smith also dominated at rookie camp scoring six goals and an assist in two games. Nashville GM David Poile listed Smith’s two games as one of the top rookie game performances he has seen in the last 14 years. “He was as dominant a player as I’ve seen in a rookie tournament in all the years I’ve been with the Predators.”

6. Paul Byron, Calgary (Cut)
    Acquired from Buffalo in the Robin Regehr trade Calgary has publicly declared Byron ready for scoring line duties in the NHL. Based on his 99 point season in the QMJHL and his point per game pace in the AHL, Byron may be just that. The preseason has allowed Byron the opportunity to confirm Calgary management's confidence in him. Byron has reaffirmed that opinion with a sound showing in the preseason games. He should have a starting job as a result when the season starts.

5. Stephan Da Costa, Ottawa (announced he has made the team)
    Another prized NCAA free agent signing, Da Costa had a brief four game audition with the Sens last season that was underwhelming. Already 22 years old, Da Costa will try to force a full season audition and reward the Sens for signing him to the maximum entry level deal. He has looked good in the preseason. With Peter Regin out for a couple of months with a hip injury Da Costa's chances of making the lineup have improved.

4. Evgeny Grachev, St. Louis (Still with the team)
    Grachev is a big talented winger who has been very impressive in preseason games this year, scoring three goals in three games to date. Grachev produced impressive OHL stats (80 points in 60 games) but was unable to dominate in the AHL. Grachev is now on his second NHL audition with St. Louis as he was acquired in a trade with the New York Rangers.Competition for spots is tight in St. Louis this year but if Grachev continues to play the way he has so far in the preseason it will be hard not to open a spot for him

3. Fabian Brunnstrom, Detroit (Looking promising but still does not have a contract)
    Detroit has a knack for finding players previously considered to be done in the NHL and bringing them back (Todd Bertuzzi, Mike Modano, Larry Murphy, Dan Cleary, etc). Now Detroit has given Brunnstrom an opportunity by inviting him to training camp. Brunnstrom has played very well so far and the fact that his main competition Jan Mursak who has suffered an ankle injury a contract with Detroit seems inevitable. Look for Wings GM ken Holland to make it a one way NHL contract to avoid exposing Brunnstrom to waivers.

2. Matt Read, Philadelphia (still with the team)
    Read is yet another small but supremely skilled college player. Read not only produced impressive WCHA stats (35 points in 37 games) he also posted over point per game numbers in a brief AHL audition (13 points in 11 games) In the NHL preseason Read is leading the league with six points in four games. Competition for lineup spots is very tough in Philadelphia but Read's play is forcing management to keep a spot for him. If they can't fit him in right now he will certainly be an early injury call up.

1. Joakim Lindstrom, Colorado (Still with the team looks like he has made the team)
    This summer Colorado signed Lindstrom to a one way $600,000 contract. Lidstrom has looked impressive in training camp playing on a line wit Paul Stastny and David Jones. At times the line dominated. Lindstrom has had other chances at a spot in the NHL with Columbus and Phoenix in the past that fell short. He has continued to develop his game since those early days. This continued progress was demonstrated by Lidstrom last year when he lead the Swedish Elite league by scoring 60 points in 54 games. This preseason Lidstrom has continued to impress. It looks like his spot with Stastny and Jones is solid as Stastny has played with no other wingers in the preseason.

It is important to remember when drafting that these players MAY have significant success this season but should be considered risky picks. Build your core with reliable and dependable proven assets before complimenting your bench with these players. These sleeper picks can help you win your pool but only if you draft them in the appropriate round. Good luck!

Very good track record on these 10 guys so far with only one guy being cut so far