Thread: 9/27/11 - Studs & Duds

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Default 9/27/11 - Studs & Duds

Studs & Duds
    September 27th 2011

Studs

3) Bruin' up the Rivalry

With last night's win, Boston swept their games against the Habs. However, this goes beyond the last two games and focuses on their rivalry as a whole. In recent years, it was often mentioned that if/when both original six teams met in the playoffs, then Montreal held an automatic edge simply due to franchise records against the Bruins.

Not anymore.

These are new players and new teams. Boston has proven time and time again that they can turn it up and play a physical game against the Habs. No use playing the history card, because I'm simply not buying it!

2) Kraft Hockeyville 2011 - Conception Bay South

It is very warming to see a small town community come together and celebrate as one big family. Played before a crowd of 6,275 at the home of the St. John's IceCaps, the Sens and Jets loved the atmosphere. Especially Ottawa's Colin Greening, who was able to play in front of his hometown of St. John's, Newfoundland.

However, what stood out for me was the praise that Mark Scheifele, who scored a doozy, was getting.
    @TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie - Wow, another pre-season goal for WPG's Mark Scheifele. Goal was good but the backhand sauce he threw just before it was a great little move. Every time I watch this (Scheifele) kid he does something that makes you say, wow. Dale Hawerchuk said prior to draft he's something special.

Keep an eye out for this one, especially if you still have drafts coming up that include the 2011 Entry prospects.

1) Not Jagr'in around.

In Jagr's 2nd appearance in the Studs this preseason, we got to witness some potential powerful chemistry between he and Giroux. Things are looking good!

Jagr had this to say : "With [Giroux] in the center, it's a lot easier to play. He's that good. You guys have a good future here," Jagr told reporters with a smile. "Don't worry about anything. He's a little genius."

"Mario Lemieux. A little Mario Lemieux. He's a little bit smaller, but he can see it. He has great hands. You have to be watching all the time, because you never know when the puck's coming."

(full article here : http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...-play-prayers/)

Not a bad comparison, I must say!

If things stay the course and Kimmo Timonen stays on the point with Jagr on the power play, the veteran defensive could easily reach his 40-45 point average and then some.

Roto Stat lines :
    Jagr - two PPG, one assist, plus-1, five SOG
    Giroux - three assists (one PPA), plus-1, three SOG, two PIM, one hit and 73.7 FO% (14/5)
    Briere - three assists (one PPA), plus-1, five SOG, two PIM, and 71.4 FO% (10/4)

HM:

Our very own Brendan "Dean Youngblood" Ross had an impressive social media day hitting 400 followers (@RossyYoungblood) and hitting 10,000 posts in the forums. He responded by saying he wasn't a sappy poet, but I beg to differ! If you dig deep enough, you will see the softer side of deanie-boy! Either way, before I "yakup'all-ov'er" my keyboard (still can't get over that Pengwin!), just wanted to spread the love.

Also, it seems that Mister Mcgoo has gone beyond the forums and launched his own fantasy hockey website, dobberhockey.com. Go check out his site when you have a moment!

Duds

3) Child's play

Not really going to go deep into this one, but looks like Wayne Simmonds has made the news once again, but this time going the other way... to Sean Avery.

"Honestly, we were going back and forth for a while there," Simmonds said. "I don't recall everything that I did say to him but he said to me some things I didn't like and maybe I said some things that he didn't like. I can't recall every single word I said."

ESPN's Katie Strang had the story : http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/stor...omophobic-slur

2) Philly Repeat?

This tweet says it all : @RossyYoungblood Brendan R - Thumbs down to the NHL in naming the Philadelphia #Flyers to the Winter Classic for a second time in three years. #giveanotherteamachance

However, the following can also be argued : @SteveLaidlaw Stephen Laidlaw - I'm fine with repeat winter classic teams. It's all about marketing the game and you do that with big names. And I'm sorry but any Winter Classic featuring teams like Florida, Nashville, Phoenix or Dallas would flop harder than Scream 4

And finally you have this argument : @Big_Ev Evan Hotham - meh, Winter Classic games suck anyway

Where do you stand?

1) 8-ball Wiz

As most of you know, Wisniewski was suspended by Shanahan for eight regular season games. Given his contract, that is a huge piece of dough.

and while I'm on the twitter train... @dtolensky Daniel Tolensky - Suspension will cost Wisniewski $11,585.36 more than the NHL minimum salary of $525,000. Coming out of the lockout the minimum was $450,000.

@angus_j Jeff Angus - Wisniewski is a valuable fantasy defenseman for his PIM as well as his production - wonder if he thinks about changing his game a bit?

I for one cannot wait to see David Savard get some nice ice time. Could be a late round prospect gem for my UHL squad!

GMG signing off!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Pro

I thought Scheifele's play last night was fantastic. This guy really reads the game well, is very proactive, and has soft hands. He hit Kane in open ice a lot, and always seemed like he was the most aware player on the ice. I know it is preseason, and I realize that the opponent was Ottawa, and whether he stays or not, this kid is going to be a rockstar in Winnipeg. Well, I guess he already is.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Ace

A very interesting read as always, keep up the good work.

Do we think Scheifele stays or spends another year in junior (or wherever)?
    12 Team H2H keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Hits, GWG & SOG. W, GAA, SV% & SHO
    Daily changes, Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 1F 2W 2G - 10 Bench

Dobber Sports Giant

as a Wisniewski owner this hurts, but as long as shanny keeps up some consistancy im all for it. good job.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
    A very interesting read as always, keep up the good work.

Do we think Scheifele stays or spends another year in junior (or wherever)?
    If I were a betting man (and I am), I would put some coin on Scheifele returning to the OHL's Barrie Colts after his 9 game stint (or before)

Give the kid another year in junior.