Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dougie Hamilton - why no respect?

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Dougie Hamilton - why no respect?

The hype machine has been pushing young D-Men like Rundblad, S.Elliott, B.Smith and R.Murphy, yet Dougie Hamilton gets very little mention - why?

Hamilton is a 6-4 body who skates very well and generates a good amount of offense. He's looked outstanding in Bruins camp and seems to be as much of a "can't miss" as anyone, due to his size and well-rounded game.

When he makes it to the NHL - some are even suggesting he will get a look this season because how much he's stood out - he will be in the perfect situation to learn on the job from Chara and take over as the B's #1 defenseman.

What is it about Hamilton that fantasy GMs don't like? I think he could easily be a Tyler Myers clone and his realistic upside is around 15G/55Pts., like Chara and he's more well-rounded and built for the NHL than those others (except B.Smith).
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Ninja

I have no clue fungchen...but I do have Hamilton stashed away on my farm team in my two leagues and I'm pretty happy about it.

Interested to hear others thoughts as well.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    I have no clue fungchen...but I do have Hamilton stashed away on my farm team in my two leagues and I'm pretty happy about it.

Interested to hear others thoughts as well.
    I think Hamilton and Larsson get the shaft a lot around here.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports All-Star

Simple enough, Hamilton's not a sexy name like those other guys. I'd be happy to steal him from someone and stash him though.
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Not sure either. Picked up Larsson, Smith and Hamilton today in my draft.

I think I am pretty set in D for a long time now!!
    14 Team Keeper League
    Keep 15
    Start 9F 5D 1G
    G A PIM GWG W SO OTL

Starters
    F: Pastrnak, Kaprizov, Lafrenniere, Pettersson, Raymond, Byfield, Rossi, Hayton, Arvidsson
    D: Seider, Hanifin, Drysdale, Boqvist, Shultz
    G: Demko

Bench:
    F: Pelletier, Noesen
    D: Lundkvist, Hutson, Nikishin, Addison, Spence, York, Zamula
    G: Levi, Wolf

IR: Fantilli, Sergachev

Banned

now you've done it. guaranteed - for the next week at least - all we are going to see is posts like "hamilton, rundblad or elliott: who is betterest?"...

just kidding. and like you point out - what isn't to like about this kid. for multi-cat leagues he has the potential to be a beast.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Killer67 View Post
    Simple enough, Hamilton's not a sexy name like those other guys.
    And I'm trying to find out why.

Rundblad's play has been questioned in his own end and he doesn't posses a good slap shot from the point. S.Elliott has been labeled soft, primarily uses a wrist shot, and has a lot of competition in front of him. Murphy is a smurf with a bunch of question marks.

Hamilton, on the other hand, is the total package. His size and frame is better suited for the NHL than either of those guys. His defensive play is significantly better than them as well.

His offensive potential is pretty darn close to Rundblad and Elliott - not as gifted as Murphy - but Hamilton's "bust potential" is non-existent. I also think his fantasy situation in Boston is/will be better than OTT, COL or CAR.

When I look at Hamilton - I see a big body, smooth skater, fantastic passer, good shot and great vision and agility. And, unlike Rundblad, S.Elliott and R.Murphy, I really don't see a weakness in his game.

Here's a look at Hamilton in prospects camp - in which he supposedly dominated.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post

Rundblad's play has been questioned in his own end and he doesn't posses a good slap shot from the point. S.Elliott has been labeled soft, primarily uses a wrist shot, and has a lot of competition in front of him. Murphy is a smurf with a bunch of question marks.

Hamilton, on the other hand, is the total package. His size and frame is better suited for the NHL than either of those guys. His defensive play is significantly better than them as well.

His offensive potential is pretty darn close to Rundblad and Elliott - not as gifted as Murphy - but Hamilton's "bust potential" is non-existent. I also think his fantasy situation in Boston is/will be better than OTT, COL or CAR.

When I look at Hamilton - I see a big body, smooth skater, fantastic passer, good shot and great vision and agility. And, unlike Rundblad, S.Elliott and R.Murphy, I really don't see a weakness in his game.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....................
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post

Any particular reason you are discussing my draft pick???
    6Team/Points Only H2H Keep: 37+3goalies Start: 13F/6D/2G
    FWD = G(2), A(1), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    DEF = G(3), A(2), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    GOAL = W(3), OTL(1), SO(+2), SV(.10)

FOR: Malkin Ovechkin Kessel Stepan Gaborik Zetterberg Carter Vanek Pacioretty Duchene Skinner Lupul Hornqvist Perron Semin Okposo Byfuglien Granlund Bennett Strome Bjugstad Nichushkin Yakupov Galchenyuk Grigorenko Kuznetsov Kucherov Etem Burakovsky
    D: Letang Goligoski Kronwall Voynov JustinSchultz Hedman RyanMurphy AdamLarsson Pulock Sproul
    G: Lundqvist Lehtonen Schneider

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by tGr View Post
    for multi-cat leagues he has the potential to be a beast.
    Not just multi-cat, but even in a points only.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think it's just that Elliott and Rundblad are older, thus have had more time to be hyped around here.

Banned

His value will probably be better in real life. Scouts question his offensive abilities and how they will translate to the NHL. Is not overly flashy so that's also why he isn't that hyped.

Before the draft, some publications had him in the low 20's.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    His value will probably be better in real life. Scouts question his offensive abilities and how they will translate to the NHL. Is not overly flashy so that's also why he isn't that hyped.

Before the draft, some publications had him in the low 20's.
    You're probably right. I just don't understand why. When Pietrangelo was 18 and played for the same Niagara team, he scored 53 points in 60GP - this year, Hamilton scored 58 in 67GP. The scouts raved about Pietrangelo's offense and you don't hear much about Hamilton's.

Of course it's more than just points when comparing players but Hamilton was a converted winger and has shown a ton of offensive capabilities. Maybe Hamilton is so solid defensively that it overshadows his offensive potential.

In terms of fantasy value, situation and opportunity also play a major factor in how a player should contribute. I see BOS being a perfect situation for a player like Hamilton to step into.

Ev, what's your personal take on Hamilton? His realistic upside?
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Novice

Well I traded 5th overall for the 8th and 16th to draft down to Take Hamilton and was also able to take Mark Scheifele as he fell to the 16th as a couple of managers overlooked him.

So in the end I traded Strome, for Hamilton and Scheifele in a points only league where D goals count 2. We dress 12 Forwards, 6 D plus 3F 2D in OT.

Think it was a good trade?
    I was debating about Strome or Hamilton at 5th but figured I would get him at 8th and so I was able to gain Scheifele for basically nothing.

Dobber Sports Ace

Hamilton is the new Brendan Smith, guaranteed NHL'er with 50 point upside! When you compare him to guys like Rundblad, Murphy, and Elliott the only thing he lacks is the offensive accolades.
    12 team points only keeper (G = 1, A = 1, W = 2, SO = 2)
    Dress 6 forwards, 4 defensemen, 2 goalies, weekly starts
    Roster limit - 20 plus 4 prospects