Thread: (Update) Markov injury

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default (Update) Markov injury

Markov had a press conference today to discuss his situation

He said that his knee doesn't hurt at all. His rehab takes a little bit longer than expected and there's still swelling in his knee from the surgery. He don't know when he'll be ready but hope to begin the season when it starts. He trained solo on ice today and expect to pratice with the team soon.

Rob
    12 teams keeper league (keep 6 + 1 rookie) H2H points only

Rookie = less than 23 years old and never reached 60pts for a forward / 40 pts for a D

Start : C RW LW S D D G
    Points are : A/G = 1 pt W = 2 pts SO = 1pt

C - Seguin Giroux Stepan
    LW - Huberdeau (R) Parise Tlusty
    RW - Eberle Hornqwist Hemsky Scheifele
    D - Schultz Gardiner Goligoski Brodie Sekera Zidlicky
    G - Fleury Crawford Raanta Greiss

Whoever said, 'It's not whether you win or lose that counts,' probably lost.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Guess it depends on what you believe, the player or the observers...

Markov, who underwent his second major ACL reconstruction on his right knee in December, skated on his own in Brossard on Thursday and it was obvious that he's far from 100 per cent.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...#ixzz1Y8ZZG0wJ

Administrator

Markov has always been a bit of a bizarre character behind the scenes so who knows what the real story is. We'll know more as camp goes on and the media is around the team more. Someone will get the true story. My guess is he will miss some time.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

He will miss some time ... he can miss all the time he wants if you ask me. I don't care if he doesn't suit up for the first 10-15 games, as long as he does for the last 10-15 and the playoffs.

Even if Markov isn't playong, the Habs will be competitive. They were all last season. When he'll be back, I just wish that it will be for good, and that should put the team in position to compete for the Northeast title.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    He will miss some time ... he can miss all the time he wants if you ask me. I don't care if he doesn't suit up for the first 10-15 games, as long as he does for the last 10-15 and the playoffs.

Even if Markov isn't playong, the Habs will be competitive. They were all last season. When he'll be back, I just wish that it will be for good, and that should put the team in position to compete for the Northeast title.
    Disagree about it being OK to miss the first 10 games. It's not OK. The team gave him a new three-year contract without making sure he would be healed up before the season starts. I get it that ACL injuries take 2 years to fully recover but he should be in playing condition by now. I fear we could be headed for another Laraque situation where Markov suits up for 5-10 games and then has to sit out due to swelling.

If he can't play top minutes then it's a bunch of wasted dollars to go along with the other wasted dollars already in the lineup.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I tink that, to avoid another Laraque situation, it is important to let him rest until he is 100%, which Laraque never did. Last time I looked at Pierre Gauthier, one of the last word that came to my mind was "gambler". The guy just hates to roll the dices. I'm pretty confident that someone, or more than one person, he trusted told him that in the near future, Markov will be 100%. Over his three year contract, we won't remember that he missed the first ten games of the season if he plays the next 236 + the playoffs.

On the other hand, if he ends up playing less than 40 games total this season...I fully agree with you that someone should lost his job for not collecting the correct information on the extent of the injury. It would pretty much means that the Habs can't expect to battle for the division title, ice advantage, not to mention the Cup.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    I tink that, to avoid another Laraque situation, it is important to let him rest until he is 100%, which Laraque never did. Last time I looked at Pierre Gauthier, one of the last word that came to my mind was "gambler". The guy just hates to roll the dices. I'm pretty confident that someone, or more than one person, he trusted told him that in the near future, Markov will be 100%. Over his three year contract, we won't remember that he missed the first ten games of the season if he plays the next 236 + the playoffs.

On the other hand, if he ends up playing less than 40 games total this season...I fully agree with you that someone should lost his job for not collecting the correct information on the extent of the injury. It would pretty much means that the Habs can't expect to battle for the division title, ice advantage, not to mention the Cup.
    How was the Markov signing not a "gamble"???

Clearly he "rolled the dice" that Markov would be fine and as of today he is not fine. He will be OK at some point but if that starts eating into the season then it's a bad gamble. Even when he fully heals how do we know that he won't get injured every month? He is listed on Dobber's band-aid boys list and with reason.

I fully agree that Markov must be healthy before he returns, but this falls on the GM's head. Markov can only heal at his own pace. The GM offered him the term and the money.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Disagree about it being OK to miss the first 10 games. It's not OK. The team gave him a new three-year contract without making sure he would be healed up before the season starts. I get it that ACL injuries take 2 years to fully recover but he should be in playing condition by now. I fear we could be headed for another Laraque situation where Markov suits up for 5-10 games and then has to sit out due to swelling.

If he can't play top minutes then it's a bunch of wasted dollars to go along with the other wasted dollars already in the lineup.
    So you're saying Markov signing a 3 year deal should have made his knee heal to your satisfaction?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeJerry View Post
    So you're saying Markov signing a 3 year deal should have made his knee heal to your satisfaction?
    I'm not even sure what that means. I suppose it's ok to throw out millions to a player without even knowing if he'll be ready to play.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

As an aside, what can/should we expect for Subban now? Does this hurt him or help him?
    14 team H2H Partial Keeper 23/24 - Season 14
    Keep: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 2D, 1G and 1 Wild
    Stats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C - Trochek, Malkin, Scheifele, Seguin, Novak
    LW - J Robertson, M.Tkachuk, Barbashev, Sherwood
    RW - Kirill Kaprizov, Tippett, Evangelista, McBain
    D - Bouchard, K Miller, Valimaki, Forsling, Chabot
    G - Sorokin, Copley
    IR - Thompson, Svechnikov

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by emustyle View Post
    As an aside, what can/should we expect for Subban now? Does this hurt him or help him?
    If Markov misses significant time it hurts PK's offensive upside for this season. PK is getting top line minutes either way so downgrading Markov to someone like Spacek is pretty bad.

On the other hand, it would give Subban more time killing penalties so you might get more blocked shots and hits.

Let's hope it doesn't even get to that point though.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    If Markov misses significant time it hurts PK's offensive upside for this season. PK is getting top line minutes either way so downgrading Markov to someone like Spacek is pretty bad.

On the other hand, it would give Subban more time killing penalties so you might get more blocked shots and hits.

Let's hope it doesn't even get to that point though.
    100% agree on this. Markov presence would help PK's numbers for sure. The analysis is spot on for the peripheral stats, but you also have to expect less PIM this year. He won't finish first for minor penalties two seasons in a row.