Thread: Best upside

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Best upside

Who has the best short-term and long-term upside? Markstrom or Salak? I have both, and kinda need to drop one. League in sig.

Dobber Sports Monster

Markstrom will basically have a clear path to Florida. Salak has some hurdles along the way that probably will prevent him from getting a starting gig. I like Markstrom 100% here long term upside is immense.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Markstrom for me.
    http://www.dobberhockey.com/picture.php?albumid=65&pictureid=474

Administrator

Yeah this has got to be Markstrom. Short term is a crap shoot, there's just no projecting what will happen in the next year or two but Markstrom is the franchise in Florida and simply a better goalie. He's the reason Salak had to flee back to Europe and was ultimately traded.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

The Great One

another vote for Markstrom, both short and long-term.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Legend

Markstrom without question. Markstrom is the future giant in FLA and Salak is bouncing around, still a KHL threat and is now stuck behind Crawford in CHI. This is not even close for me - Markstrom is among the elite G prospects on the planet with a great gig lined up.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Markstrom without question. Markstrom is the future giant in FLA and Salak is bouncing around, still a KHL threat and is now stuck behind Crawford in CHI. This is not even close for me - Markstrom is among the elite G prospects on the planet with a great gig lined up.
    Is he a KHL threat though? I guess if you are Euro and a borderline NHLer you become a KHL threat. Salak is Czech but has played in the Finnish league and most recently the Swedish Elite League and seems really determined to make it over here in North America. He is more than willing to pay his dues in the AHL, he just doesn't want to be a backup at that level.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Is he a KHL threat though? I guess if you are Euro and a borderline NHLer you become a KHL threat. Salak is Czech but has played in the Finnish league and most recently the Swedish Elite League and seems really determined to make it over here in North America. He is more than willing to pay his dues in the AHL, he just doesn't want to be a backup at that level.
    I often see Europeans considered "KHL" threats (I remember hearing that about Frolik and Fleischmann before), but I think it is unfair to label someone a KHL threat because they are European.

That said, it does seem like a lot of goalies who can't find starting gigs in the NHL go to the KHL to rebuild their confidence and prove to NHL teams that they can be starters. So in Salak's case, I could see him possibly go to the KHL if he can't get a legit shot at the NHL.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I often see Europeans considered "KHL" threats (I remember hearing that about Frolik and Fleischmann before), but I think it is unfair to label someone a KHL threat because they are European.

That said, it does seem like a lot of goalies who can't find starting gigs in the NHL go to the KHL to rebuild their confidence and prove to NHL teams that they can be starters. So in Salak's case, I could see him possibly go to the KHL if he can't get a legit shot at the NHL.
    True - the KHL threat stuff is a bad label, but it does exist. The fear with Euro players are that if they don't get the opportunity they feel they deserve in NA, they bolt and play pro in Europe for better coin.

How long is Salak willing to earn his chops in the AHL or play a backup role in CHI behind Crawford? No one knows. But the fact that he's already on his 2nd team in a year and lacks a clear path to an NHL starting gig, worries me.

He's from Europe and had no problem playing in the SEL, so it's not like we're talking about a NA player like Bernier, Schneider or Campbell here. The best case for someone like Salak would be if he were dealt to a team like NJ where he could learn from a master like Marty and position himself nicely for a possible starter role within 1-2 years.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    The best case for someone like Salak would be if he were dealt to a team like NJ where he could learn from a master like Marty and position himself nicely for a possible starter role within 1-2 years.
    Some day soon NJ is going to have to acquire a young goalie, like Salak, Bernier, Schneider, etc. Once they do, that goalie's value is going to skyrocket.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Some day soon NJ is going to have to acquire a young goalie, like Salak, Bernier, Schneider, etc. Once they do, that goalie's value is going to skyrocket.
    I can see poolies scrambling to get their hands on him already.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I have Salak but I drafted in my prospect draft this year becuase I have Crawford.....It would be way to nice a theroy for him to go to NJ