Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Kings won't pay Doughty more than Kopitar"

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by waddy1788 View Post
    Agreed....for fun...what do you guys think the package would look like?
    I think it would be Doughty for Eberle++
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Pro

Eberle, Gilbert, 1st rounder is probably what it would take.

Wishful thinking; Gagner, Gilbert, Petry/Pitlick/Omark, 1st rounder gets it done.

I thought this whole ordeal was about term, not money??
    Give him the 3year term he wants, you cant expect every young player to commit to a franchise for 10years because it'll save them some cap-room.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Why does Eberle have to be a part of every package discussed with the Oilers? Haha. I love the guy. But I would gladly give that up for Doughty.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Why does Eberle have to be a part of every package discussed with the Oilers? Haha. I love the guy. But I would gladly give that up for Doughty.
    Because the Oilers have tons of young talent up front, Eberle is the piece that most teams would covet that is possible to attain.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    Because the Oilers have tons of young talent up front, Eberle is the piece that most teams would covet that is possible to attain.
    What he said. MPS gets mentioned a lot as well but usually not for the big pieces like Doughty as he hasn't shown nearly as much as Eberle. Gagner and Hemsky get mentioned tons as well but usually with them getting dumped, not used to get NHL ready players.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Also Doughty is nuts if he's letting $0.2 million a season keeping him from signing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by boredguy View Post
    Also Doughty is nuts if he's letting $0.2 million a season keeping him from signing.
    i agree.

but.. LA is crazy, too, if they're letting $0.2million a season keep them from signing him...

can't all these millionaires just get along?

Dobber Sports Pro

Does LA only have one lengthy contract (Mike Richards)? Is there any others?

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Banned

jack johnson has 7 more years on his contract...
    then kopitar with 5

Dobber Sports Pro

You can't blame them for trying to get a longer term deal. With Richards, Kopitar, and Johnson all potentially around for 5 years, two elite young goalies breaking out, Doughty would be the last piece to put this team over the top for years to come. Even though I traditionally don't cheer for LA, it is going to be hard to not cheer for this team in the upcoming season.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

With Meyers contract today, do you think LA will give Doughty a signing bonus like Meyers for the first season? The reason I ask this is I am in a salary league, we use yearly salaries instead of cap hits, and I may be trading for Doughty.... a signing bonus would really lower his value in my league. Any ideas or opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.
    12 teams Pts only, Salary cap
    F Tavares MacKinnon Giroux Pacioretty Larkin Granlund Toffoli Aho Marchessault Weal Tuch Kempe Athanasiou
    D Hedman Barrie Klingberg
    G Talbot Bobrovsky Hellebuyck

16 teams H2H, G A +/- PIM STP GWG W SO GAA SV%
    C Crosby Barkov Larkin Dvorak
    LW Pacioretty Schwartz Bjorkstrand Roussel
    RW Pastrnak Atkinson Silfverberg
    D Subban Shattenkirk Montour Hanifin
    G Rinne Saros Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Dean Lombardi is a terrible GM.

Banned

****ing EDM - LA talk...you guys obviously have very short attention spans

what I think would be funny is if EDM were to offer Doughty an RFA offer sheet for like 7.834 mil/yr to force the kings to either sign him or let him walk for a couple 1st rounders + change...think about it, EDM has everything they need in terms of prospects right now, give a couple up to secure one of the league's best d-men? why not?...worst case scenario is you force the Kings to overpay and you get to watch Lombardi's head explode...its a win win

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    ****ing EDM - LA talk...you guys obviously have very short attention spans

what I think would be funny is if EDM were to offer Doughty an RFA offer sheet for like 7.834 mil/yr to force the kings to either sign him or let him walk for a couple 1st rounders + change...think about it, EDM has everything they need in terms of prospects right now, give a couple up to secure one of the league's best d-men? why not?...worst case scenario is you force the Kings to overpay and you get to watch Lombardi's head explode...its a win win
    Nasty thought McGoo!

At $7.8M would that cost EDM 4 first rounders, or 5?

EDM definately has the depth in their system to do it. With Doughty on the back end, pick up 2 more D men and a veteran goalie to share time with Dubnyk, that team would be scary!
    14 Team Keeper PTS, +/-, PIM's *.3 20 Players, 4 Center, 8 Wing, 6 D-men, 2 Goalies, NHL cap hit $91 Million Total

Centers Tavares, Giroux, Draisaitl, Eichel
    Wing Eberle, Kessel, Schenn, Hall, Nichushkin, Stone, B. Ryan, Connolly
    Defence Karlsson, OEL, Shattenkirk, Murphy, Gardiner, Daley
    Goal Lehner, Schneider

Prospects Shinkaruk, Frk, Pulock, Marner, Zacha, Rod, Kapanen, Leblanc, Kristo, McNeill, Noesen, Tuch

Dobber Sports Legend

I love Doughty as a player (and he seems like a pretty nice dude) but these kids are getting out of hand and allow their agents to make them appear as greedy, little pricks.

I mean, Doughty is an awesome young player, but what has he really accomplished to this point where he feels he can demand to be the highest paid player on the Kings and earn $7m+ per?

In addition, if I'm Drew Doughty, I see what my organization is doing. They are trying to build a highly competitive club and keep some key pieces in place - Kopitar, Richards, J.Johnson, Brown, etc. Doughty SHOULD recognize this and want to make it work.

I mean, it's not like anyone is asking Doughty to diminish his worth by a ton. As we saw with the Florida Panthers this offseason - some of these contracts being handed out are outrageous. I think Doughty should do the right thing here - like Backstrom did with the Caps - and take a few bucks less so his team can be successful long-term.

I normally side with the players 90% of the time, but in this case I really think Doughty (or via his agency) is being extremely difficult. The Kings are far from low-balling DD and he should man up, take the $6m, enjoy playing a kids game for a living and try to be part of something special in LA.

Sometimes I think these players need a dose of reality - like Jayson Werth is getting right now with the Washington Nationals. Sure, he's making a ton of money, but he's a miserable bastard because his team sucks and the media/fans are starting to get on him.

Maybe after playing a few seasons playing for the Panthers or Blue Jackets, Doughty would welcome a top-end salary to play for a winning team in LA.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka