Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: "Kings won't pay Doughty more than Kopitar"

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

From Bob Mckenzie......crazy stuff

http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/09/16...ghtys-holdout/

Dobber Sports Ninja

Not sure what to think here, but if you look at the way Lombardi behaves to the press etc over the past few seasons I am starting to think he just might be the problem here.

Doughty grew up a Gretzly/LA Kings fan, so it seems very odd that he is making this so difficult. Just seems like there is something going on here that isn't being told. My hunch is that "something" is Lombardi.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeJerry View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Dean Lombardi is a terrible GM.
    Most ridiculous comment in this thread. Lombardi has taken two marginal Southern California franchises from mediocrity to legitimate Stanley Cup contender during his career. More than can be said for many other GM's who are currently employed in the league.

I'd appreciate having a guy with principles who's not afraid to answer questions in the press running my team if I was a Kings fan.

Doughty has done nothing to earn $7M per season thus far in his career. Win a Norris, take your team to the conference finals, or post 70 pts, then you've earned your $7M.

Look how bad Phaneuf's contract looks now. There were people ready to give him the keys to the castle after his 3rd season.
    20 Team Pool Points Keeper
    G =1,A=1,PPG=1,PPA=0.5, SHG=1,GWG=1,PIM=0.1,+/-=0.25
    Goalie cats (W=2, SO=3, SV=0.05)

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes
    D: Green, Schultz, Faulk, Goligoski
    G: Crawford

Dobber Sports Pro

I am not thrilled with Doughty's behavior. If the team is willing to make him the second highest paid player and is building a core around him to be competitive for at least 5 years, what else does this guy want?
    I hear experts talking about the DET franchise as a model of excellence and consistency. The key piece is that Lidstrom, their captain and best player, was their highest paid. (now it is dats I think) If you even consider wanting more, then be prepared to sit out or play for a different team.

If EDM signed this guy to an offer sheet that gave them 5 first round picks... I think LA should thank them and walk away. With those assets they could easily find a trading partner.

I know that they would unlikely get a player with the upside and talent level of Doughty, but sometimes 5 very good young players are better than 1 great overpaid one. Plus there is always a chance that the next Doughty falls to you in the draft especially if EDM doesn't turn it around quickly.

I think that a trade will also have to be considered. Maybe COL would offer a Elliot/Barrie/Landeskog package? I doubt it but LA has far too good of a core and a team built to let this screw with their team.

Maybe Holmgren wants to send Schenn back with Voracek and Carle, once he recovers from his injuries. Who knows....
    Last edited by Chuk; September 16, 2011 at 5:42 PM.

Dobber Sports Genius

I really think this will be resolved. The difference with Doughty and Phaneuf is that he's consistent. Sure he didn't match his points from last season, but he was also injured for a good portion of it. The guy is a stud and everyone knows it. He was on Team Canada for a reason.

I think he's worth 7 and I think he's a better player than Kopitar. Shoot, I'd be just fine with the Sharks taking a stab at trading for him. I'd be elated if that happened, but it won't. The issue is now that Doughty may get traded to a non contender and that should be something he thinks about now.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Not sure what to think here, but if you look at the way Lombardi behaves to the press etc over the past few seasons I am starting to think he just might be the problem here.

Doughty grew up a Gretzly/LA Kings fan, so it seems very odd that he is making this so difficult. Just seems like there is something going on here that isn't being told. My hunch is that "something" is Lombardi.
    Bingo!

How hard is this to say: "This organization does not comment on on-going negotiations."

That's what professional GM's say. Lombardi - not so much.
    Last edited by CallMeJerry; September 16, 2011 at 10:43 PM.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by slufoot View Post
    Most ridiculous comment in this thread. Lombardi has taken two marginal Southern California franchises from mediocrity to legitimate Stanley Cup contender during his career. More than can be said for many other GM's who are currently employed in the league.

I'd appreciate having a guy with principles who's not afraid to answer questions in the press running my team if I was a Kings fan.

Doughty has done nothing to earn $7M per season thus far in his career. Win a Norris, take your team to the conference finals, or post 70 pts, then you've earned your $7M.

Look how bad Phaneuf's contract looks now. There were people ready to give him the keys to the castle after his 3rd season.
    LA is not a Cup contender.

Their #2 defenceman is Jack Johnson - good luck with that. Their bottom 4 D is poor to awful - 3 of them are leadfooted.

Lombardi got carte blanche from the owners to tank for years to build up young talent. Any one of us on these boards could have been GM of the Kings and built up some decent talent with those parameters.

All GM's make mistakes but how good would LA look with Visnovsky on the team? Lombardi signed him to a long-term contract but outsmarted himself by trading him for spare parts.

And he can't shut up. He's not being honest and open by answering reporters questions. He's being unprofessional. You don't negotiate in public - certainly not with your franchise player.

In summary, Dean Lombardi is a bad GM.