Thread: First Head to Head Draft - Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default First Head to Head Draft - Thoughts?

I usually stick with rotisserie and not worry about playoffs. Decided to give head to head a try. Just finished the draft. My pick was 10th overall out of 12. Standard Yahoo cats.

Round and Player

1 - St.Louis RW
    2 - Crosby C (figured even I had to at this point)
    3 - Kovalchuk LW/RW
    4 - Quick G (Goalies went like mad wanted to get at least one good one)
    5 - Gaborik RW
    6 - Subban D
    7 - Streit D
    8 - Pavelski C
    9 - Edler D
    10 - Benn LW
    11 - Anderson G
    12 - Roy C
    13 - Bieksa D
    14 - Selanne RW
    15 - Rask G
    16 - Gonchar D

Early on I decided to focus alot on offense and do the Goaltending by committee approach. I figure Bieksa and Edler should help balance the +/- with my other D.
    Very happy with my wings.

Any suggestions on what to improve? Other comments?

C.
    [SIZE=1]WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Saanichton Cougars

Dobber Sports Genius

You did a good job drafting. I am thinking you will compete this year. Getting Crosby in the 2nd is a good choice, he will come back in the 2nd half of the season just when you need him for the playoffs. I am surprised that Quick was available in th 4th rd. Good pick up there.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yep, I was surprised Quick lasted. That said Anderson makes me nervous so we'll see if my G works out.
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Saanichton Cougars

Dobber Sports Stud

good team, with a lot of risk late, and in a smaller league that is what you have to do. It is not a matter of how players do in the first half, it is the playoffs that matter (as long as you do well enough to make it).
    gonchar- if he finds his feet this year, he is only a year removed from great numbers.
    selanne- 80 point guy if he plays this year
    rask- backing up an old man, could be a starter by years end
    crosby- took him early, but he will miss time at the start of the year, not the end.

you did a good job of buying low on a few elite talents that should rebound like kovalchuk, streit and gaborik.

Overall i like the team.. and it looks like the type of team i would have drafted (except bieska and roy...)
    10 team Dyn
    tavares rnh statsny
    AO benn
    kessel malkin
    ryan purcell
    green letang enstrom kulkov OEL ellis
    lundy ward varly bernier lehrner
    burmistrov hodgson michalek, ryan oreilly, turris okposo

16 team h2h
    Spezza, Tavares
    Vanek,doan
    malkin, eberle
    Doughty Letang, karlsson, weber
    hall
    green enstrom downie palmeiri kassain bogo
    lundy price pavelec

weiters fielder kipnis wright hanley braun upton upton maybin victorino goldschmidt
    kershaw, startsburg, greinke, bumgarner, price, neise, bret anderson
    valverde, hanrahan, aceves, reed, guerra, storen

Dobber Sports Genius

With Anderson, you know he will play almost everygame and he will face plenty of shots. He might not have lots of wins or a low GAA but he will have a decent save %.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

The Magnificent One

very mixed reviews on this drafted team. but it would give me a better understanding if you gave us some more info on your league, how many you play at each positions, starting goalie games min for the week, and what standard stats mean. people throw that around but i just dont know what standard is anymore.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

League starts:

2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4D, 2G

Stats

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG

W, GAA, SV%, SHO (Goalies with a minimum of 3 games)

Saanichton Cougars

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by InForAPenny View Post
    I usually stick with rotisserie and not worry about playoffs. Decided to give head to head a try. Just finished the draft. My pick was 10th overall out of 12. Standard Yahoo cats.

Round and Player

1 - St.Louis RW
    2 - Crosby C (figured even I had to at this point)
    3 - Kovalchuk LW/RW
    4 - Quick G (Goalies went like mad wanted to get at least one good one)
    5 - Gaborik RW
    6 - Subban D
    7 - Streit D
    8 - Pavelski C
    9 - Edler D
    10 - Benn LW
    11 - Anderson G
    12 - Roy C
    13 - Bieksa D
    14 - Selanne RW
    15 - Rask G
    16 - Gonchar D

Early on I decided to focus alot on offense and do the Goaltending by committee approach. I figure Bieksa and Edler should help balance the +/- with my other D.
    Very happy with my wings.

Any suggestions on what to improve? Other comments?

C.
    I think you did a good job drafting, but I don't like how you finished here. Other than Roy I'm not a big fan of your last six picks. As I have preached on the forum, in a one year league I'm not touching Crosby but that's me. I'm not big on the injury prone players either, but I understand the value of Gaborik in round 5. I think you took Streit very early. I love the Pavelski, Edler and Benn picks. Nicely done with those three. History suggest Kovy is going to have a big year (I can post the stats if you want to see what I mean). I love the Jon Quick pick as well. Quick is going to be a great value this year, still shocked at how late he's going in drafts. Of course St. Louis is St. Louis. Do you mind telling me what's out there on the waiver wire? You could grab some guys and replace Gonchar, Bieksa and such.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Waiver wire D:

Kulikov, Bouwmeester, Foster, Demers, Bogosion, White, Montador, Lydman (not a great deal else so far as I can tell.

Waiver Wire C:

McDonald, O.Jokinen, Berglund, Ott, Seguin, Zajac (was toying with the idea of Konopka - let my other forwards carry the offensive load.)

Waiver wire Wingers:

LW - Laich, Ruutu, J.Jokinen, Versteeg, Gagne, Elias
    RW - Downie, Alfredsson, Hemsky, Erat

Presumably Benn will get Center eligibility, so I can move him over if another LW fits the bill.

Thanks.

Saanichton Cougars

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by InForAPenny View Post
    Waiver wire D:

Kulikov, Bouwmeester, Foster, Demers, Bogosion, White, Montador, Lydman (not a great deal else so far as I can tell.

Waiver Wire C:

McDonald, O.Jokinen, Berglund, Ott, Seguin, Zajac (was toying with the idea of Konopka - let my other forwards carry the offensive load.)

Waiver wire Wingers:

LW - Laich, Ruutu, J.Jokinen, Versteeg, Gagne, Elias
    RW - Downie, Alfredsson, Hemsky, Erat

Presumably Benn will get Center eligibility, so I can move him over if another LW fits the bill.

Thanks.
    I'd drop Bieksa and Gonchar, then pick up White and Kulikov. In such a shallow league I'm not sure you'll need Rask, I would drop him for Brooks Laich. Then you just have to wait on Selanne.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks, will have a look and see.

Saanichton Cougars

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Pretty decent team it has high potential and high risk. Its going to be a matter of how healthy your team can stay. I would keep an eye on Downie especually if you need some PIM. I would also try and pick up White he is a good player coming into a good situation.
    2010-2011 League Champion
    2012-2013 Runner Up
    ROTO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2,G | G, A, PPP, +/-, PIM, BS, W, GAA, SV%
    C: Getzlaf, Backstrom
    LW: Hall, Tlusty
    RW: Malkin, Lupul
    D: Ehrhoff, Del Zotto, Enstrom, Carle
    G: Holtby, Smith
    Bench: Faulk, Druoin, MacKinnon, Brodin, S. Mason, Bernier
    H2H Keeper League [5F, 1D, 1F/D 1G]
    2013 - 3rd
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D,1 Ult, 1 G -H2H Daily Start - G, A, +/-, Hits, BS, PPP, SHP - W, SV, GAA, SO
    F:Tavares, Landeskog, E.Kane, Backes, Yakupov, RNH/Kesler
    D: Green/OEL
    G: Rask

The Magnificent One

In these stats I love the roy, pavelski, kovy, st.louis, benn picks on offense. good rounds also for these guys.

How I look to tweek this offense:
    Trade: selanne and gaborik - I dont not like gaborik in a one yr league then again in any league but he has trade value. I would try to find a team that can use defense or the hype of rask and trade some combo of rask, bieksa, gaborik (or all 3) for a strong second RW or LW. something like eriksson or something along those lines. it doesnt need to be top 5 rw but look for a top 15. maybe backes (if he has rw in yahoo).

i like your goalies. i think quick and anderson will just be fine. rask in a one yr isnt needed and you can pick up a 3rd goalie on the WW for assurance (just pick up a hot goalie).

if pavelski gets RW then look for a center instead of a RW in a trade. might be easier to get.

As for defense you dont need 5 of them. 4 is more than enough. id drop one and pick up a LW to have 3. guys you mentioned like Jussi Jokinen on CAR is a great fit here.

overall nice team but a few risky players that you need to tweek. sorry for the all over the place comments but i need to get into bed. if you want more ideas feel free to pm me and ill hit you back tom.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Awesome RW and a great grab of Pavelski there (SJ is a 444 in the yahoo playoffs), but you definitely need some depth at LW. It should be an easy fix.

What do the LW and RW wire look like?

I'd speculate that RW looks nicer so I'd consider trying to turn StLouis or Gaborik into a stud LW then backfill RW off FA. If there just happens to be a solid LW hanging around, grab

The bigger problem is G. You droppednthe all there. Tending is 40% of your league's stats. Thats why they went so fast. I'd have been grabbing a G in those first two picks. You're going to be in tight all season with just Quick/Anderson/Rask. And given the stat breakdown, I don't think anyone's going to be too willing to trade a great G. You're gonna have to work the wire to find this year's Pavelec/Bryzgalov/SMason/Leclaire.