Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: [Market Buzz Blog] DobberHockey Experts Draft

Dobber Sports Icon

Really like this team bud, nice balance throughout the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    Yesterday, I jumped in on Angus' thread with...

Here is a more detailed look :

10th: G- Pekka Rinne (my top three were Lundqvist, Price and Rinne and the two former went b2b before my pick. Rinne will be solid in each goalie category and I'm hoping for an emphasis on GAA)

21st: LW - Henrik Zetterberg (a gift at 21st overall given his LW eligibility. Should hit every category nicely other than PIM)

40th: G - Niklas Backstrom (Slim pickings here, 20 goalies went before this selection so I chose to act in case anymore went.)

51st: RW - Dany Heatley (At 51st overall - Heatley makes a nice pick up. Expecting 70 points is not farfetched and he has the potential to go 80+ easily.)

70th: LW - Alex Burrows (Should be a prime candidate to get RW (duh!). I have Burrows ranked high in my Roto Guide, so I had to back that up.)

81st: D - Duncan Keith (The D train was already rolling and I managed to snap up a player who is only one year removed from a 69 point, 54 PIM, plus-21 and 213 SOG season. I personally don't think he'll reach that, but I think he will surely have a bounce back year from 10-11.)

100th: C - Brandon Dubinsky (My first C of the draft has a high potential of shifting over to the wing and being placed on that top line of Richards and Gaborik. If not he can still hold his ground. Quietly dominant in multi-categories - I was happy to select Dubinsky 100th overall.)

111th: C - Mikko Koivu (Mikko to me is in the second tier of centers, ones that you can wait on for well... over 100 picks. Just ask Laidlaw about his Roy (7.15) Plekanec picks (10.1). I could have passed Koivu up and waited for the best available option but that wouldn't be for another 19 picks and since I had Heatley, the 1-2 combo fit perfectly.)

130th: D - Ryan Suter (After picking a couple of C's I had to get back to either drafting RW and/or D. On my queue I had a good bunch of RW happy to select and I noticed D were going... fast. I had two players in my vision - Seabrook and Suter. Both had great seasons last year and both bring their own oumph to the game. I ended up choosing Suter based on a stat that fluctuates as much as Forsberg's attempts to get back into play - plus/minus.)

141st: D - Brent Seabrook (Seeing Seabrook available on the turn and only a dent in my RW on queue gone - it was an easy decision to make - he would pair nicely with Keith. I don't expect to put up the amazing numbers he did last season, but I know he won't be a slouch. This pick solidifies my D for a good while.)

160th: RW - Jakub Voracek (As expected 19 picks later my RW queue took a little tumble with Hornqvist and Callahan [who I wanted for this pick - went one selection before me], so I took a stab on Voracek, hoping he finds chemistry in Philly.)

171st: RW - Brian Gionta (Gionta is solid for 25-30G and 275-300 SOG, two of my favorite categories. If Kessel goes 100 picks before and gets 35G, 300G - surely Gionta is a decent pick up for similar totals. I'll take fewer assists for a much better plus/minus.)

190th: LW - Dustin Penner (Not a sexy pick, but playing LW on a stacked LAK line up? I'll take it. Besides he told the media he was having a great offseason.... or was that... meh)

201st: C - Derek Stepan (might be a bit of a reach because I really don't know exactly where he will slot in - best case Winger or 2nd line C, worst case... well let's not go there! Either way I think he had a great rookie season, one that should secure a decent scoring line spot.)

220th: LW - Andrew Brunette (Probably one of my favorite picks due to the low risk [Round 15] high reward [top line] factor. Brunette is very consistent and in a one year - still very effective.)

231st: RW - Trow Brouwer (a bit gamble here, but again at this point it's still a decent pick. If given the opportunity in the top six (likely) - Brouwer could reach career highs. Optimistic, yes. But these are decisions you have to make in a marathon draft.)

250th: RW - David Jones (I already had my 4 RW [Heatley, Voracek, Gionta, Brouwer] selected, but on the odd chance that one of them falters - Jones makes a great addition in spot starts. When healthy Jones can pot in 30+ Goals so this move adds insurance and solidifies my RW.)

261st: D - Steve Montador (I really like this guys numbers and at 261th, he makes a it sound selection. However, I dislike it, and I told the guys I disliked it before the pick up simply due to already having Seabrook and Keith. I hate that it happened this way - however what consoles me is the fact that it is a long year and a marathon so at the end of the day - totals will be totals. I just know somehow one of these three will get injured [knock on wood]...)

280th: D - OEL (My biggest stretch of the draft, but also my biggest risk/reward. I figure that if he starts out the season poorly, I can draft a decent D later on to stash him on the bench.)

291st: G - Michael Neuvirth (in the 20th Round, pickings start to get slim - somehow Neuvy wasn't picked up yet, and if Dobber is right, even in the slightest, that Neuvirth will continually challenge Vokoun - I might have a low risk [20th Round, Bench] high reward [Starts on a strong team, trade value] player.)

310th: D - Pavel Kubina (Dime a dozen D pick up. I'll be happy with 40 points, a positive rating and 55 PIMs from Kubina.)

321st: C - Jarret Stoll (Possibly my least favorite pick up and likely the first to get dropped if I see a hot hand and C on the waiver wire. He usually has decent totals, only thing is the depth at C in LA got a boost in Mike Richards this offseason - so we'll see how this pans out. If Zetterberg gets C/LW - I might shift him over, fixing any problems at C.)

340th: D - Jon Ericsson (My OEL replacement if things go sour. Good team, somewhat decent points and good pims, at this point I'll take it.)

351st: LW - Pascal Dupuis (I think Dupuis is a great pick up 351st overall. He slots in as my 5th LW behind Zetterberg, Burrows, Penner and Brunette but can easily go in as my 4th C should the Stoll situation above happen.)

370th: G - Chris Mason (Just to mess around with Angus a bit, I took his back up - and probably one that has a dark horse chance of doing well - notice all those GG mentions? Last pick - meh I am happy with my team to date so this can either work out or it doesn't and I lose a couple of WW bucks. )

There you have it folks - Team GMG!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Thanks Ross!

For a complete list of all teams, see Angus' thread - DY is posting them all up.

Should be entered in the guide soon enough.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates