Thread: PHL 242 - 30 team league - looking to go to 40+

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default PHL 242 - 40 team league - looking to go to 60+

Are you great enough to win The Bucket? The Bucket is the greatest Fantasy Hockey trophy EVER created!

Before you wonder how we can do 40 teams, know that we do multiple ESPN leagues, then handle the playoffs outside of the ESPN site. Each league size will depend on how many teams we get signed up, but the max would be 20, but more likely 12 to 15. This has worked great with 3 leagues, and we want to add a 4th (or more!) this season. We like more than 10 teams in a league so that more than 1st and 2nd liners and the top 20 goalies count for something.

This is NOT a 'fancy' league. There are no keepers, or special scoring rules for different positions and no 'auctions'. If you like that sort of thing you might dismiss it, but you should still check out our league site because you might want to add us as a casual league to get into. This is a league to get a GREAT group together that all love hockey, and have EVERYONE have the opportunity to win EACH year without spending 40 hours a week analyzing the league (unless you want to do that ). Don't think for a moment that means we are not good fantasy managers, there are a LOT of great fantasy managers in our league, but we have had winners that spend hours creating spreadsheets and check on their team 3 times a day and winners who 'wing it' and only check in a few times each week.

This league has been running for 10 years, and the rules we have provide level playing field for you to put whatever effort level you want to into it. NO ONE wins by Quantity (making continual add/drops), but you are allowed DAILY roster moves.

Part of the fun is we do an annual travel event (Puckapalooza) around a hockey themed event. In 2010, and PHL contingent attended the 2010 Winter Olympic games in Vancouver. Last February, we froze our butts off at Whalefest in Hartford CT. While we are likely not in a hurry to repeat that -8 degree all outdoor event location, we did get to 'put up the dukes' in a bar with Slapshot star Steve Carlson (Steve Hanson in the movie), as well as one PHL member getting 'goosed' by NHL tough guy Chris Kotsopoulos!

Mini-paloozas (regions of PHL members) can also happen if you live near other PHLers. Watching a game at a bar, or attending a 'local' NHL/AHL game.

NO ONE profits from the management of this league.

Check out these sites if you want to know more about our league. If you want to join check the links in the Message Board > New Puck Hog FAQ topic link below.

http://phl242.com/smf/index.php - Message Board (see the New Puck Hog FAQ topic)

http://www.phl242.com/index.html - league site - check the Rules link.
    Last edited by austonja; August 23, 2013 at 9:59 AM.

Dobber Sports Rookie

This is a great league! Even if you are on the fence, just check out the site links and give the message board a read. Most of us in this league only do 1 league, if you do multiple leagues, give us a shot for one of your teams instead of signing up that 2nd or 3rd ESPN/Yahoo team where you know half that league will quit by December.

Banned

why such a huge league that's not a keeper? to each his own of course, I just don't understand the appeal, good luck though!

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    why such a huge league that's not a keeper? to each his own of course, I just don't understand the appeal, good luck though!
    We are more interested in everyone having a fair shot each year. I've done keepers in the past in many sports, and to me it's just boring. What generally happens in a keeper over the years is you have a few 'genius' owners, and the rest quit. I think too with keepers that it discourages the casual fantasy player. Keepers and all the other 'funky' leagues that people start have their place and their audience, we just want to keep growing the league with people who just love hockey, and I'm hoping there are people in the Dobber community that might like to give our league a try.

Like you said, to each their own I just decided a long time ago that keepers just are not 'fun' to me, and I only do 1 team each year...not that I couldn't handle more than 1 team, but I find a more 'real' experience flying or crashing with 1 team Oh, and I prefer to spend the majority of my freetime watching/attending games or other more life worthy pursuits, not managing 14 fantasy teams

Dobber Sports Rookie

Still signing up teams, so check us out and sign up

Dobber Sports Rookie

Get in now for the 13/14 season. See the links in the first post!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I like "keepers and crap like that". Seems a few of us do. All the best.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    I like "keepers and crap like that". Seems a few of us do. All the best.
    I'm sorry if you took that the wrong way, but the point is that it's a casual league. It's not to say that a fantasy hockey diehard can't enjoy it, it's more the idea that any fan of the game of hockey can have fun. Half the fun is that we get total strangers to hang out along with long-standing league members for a weekend! You should check out our homepage The Puckapalooza has been to Vegas, the Olympics and Whale-fest just to name a few spots!