Thread: Dubinsky or Koivu (rep given)

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Dubinsky or Koivu (rep given)

Keeper league draft and I'm trying to decide who to take.

Stats are for Goals (3), Assists (1.5), GWG (1), Hits (0.3), Blocks (0.3), PIM's (0.3), Shot (0.1), Plus/Minus (1), SHP (2), PPP (1).

I realize that Dubinsky isn't really a center anymore but he's still listed as that in my league so it's not an issue yet.

Koivu will very likely have a higher point total, especially playing first line time with Heatley. However Dubinsky will have more hits, PIM's, and more goals. They will likely be equal in shot totals. I'm leaning towards Dubinsky because of it being a goal centric league but am I making a mistake in that regards?

Edit: Sorry to not state which Koivu. I meant Mikko. Figured the playing with Heatley part might be hint enough. Also Plus/minus as 1 point not PIM's twice :P
    Last edited by theIceWookie; August 15, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think you go with Dubinsky. He will beat Koivu in all categories except Assists and PPP. He will probably have at least double the PIM of Koivu.

Also, Dubinsky has a good chance to be playing left wing with Richards and Gaborik which will obviously help his value.

Looks like you only keep 8 so Dubinsky is probably not a keeper, but I would still take him over Koivu.
    Last edited by keeper17; August 15, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
    12 team H2H 7 keepers

Current Keepers:

C: N Backstrom
    LW: Ovechkin
    RW: Kessel
    D: Green, Doughty
    G: Lundqvist, Vokoun

stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, SOG, FOW,
    W, GAA, SV, S%, SHO

Positions: 3 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, F, W, 4 D, 2 G

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by keeper17 View Post
    I think you go with Dubinsky. He will beat Koivu in all categories except Assists and PPP. He will probably have at least double the PIM of Koivu. Also, not sure how many you will be keeping but Dubinsky might be a bubble keeper while Koivu could retire at any time.
    He's referring to Mikko, not Saku.

Dobber Sports Star

Mikko for me
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Guru

Ill have to do some digging but off the top of my head I would think Mikko Koivu is a more attractive option with heatley and setoguchi as his likely wingers. Dubinsky does bring more multi-cat production but ill have to do some math work to see if those make up enough difference. Koivu has avergaged 66 pts per season the last three years which is not too shabby and thats with inferior linemates. Dubinsky hit 54 as a high last year and his role is up in the air right now (or at least as far as im concerned) if he lands on the top line with gabby and Richards he could have a great season.

also the the OP ... in your cats you have PIMs listed twice ... for .3 pts or for 1 pt as that makes a huge difference!!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    He's referring to Mikko, not Saku.
    Oops, well that changes things. Hmm... Close with those categories but probably Mikko. Gotta see what he does with Heatley.
    12 team H2H 7 keepers

Current Keepers:

C: N Backstrom
    LW: Ovechkin
    RW: Kessel
    D: Green, Doughty
    G: Lundqvist, Vokoun

stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, SOG, FOW,
    W, GAA, SV, S%, SHO

Positions: 3 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, F, W, 4 D, 2 G

Dobber Sports All-Star

Yeah it's close but I would probably side with Dubinsky as well. Koivu will score about 15 points more but mostly in assists. Dubinsky will score more goals, hits, and PIM so it should even it out and slightly favor him more.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Guru

OK so after some number cruching .... (and clearing up the PIMs value would help this as Dubisnky's points will jump more with the PIM = 1 rather than 0.3 as I calculated it)

Koivu fantasy points
    09-10 = 241.7
    10-11 = 207.2

Dubinsky fantasy points
    09-10 = 197.2
    10-11 = 239

so they are pretty close in terms of production in this setup but I would rather have Koivu I think he is a better player and he is guaranteed to be the top line centre and get all the even strength and PP time he can handle. While dubinsky is an importnant part of the rangers team he doesnt have that same status.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    OK so after some number cruching .... (and clearing up the PIMs value would help this as Dubisnky's points will jump more with the PIM = 1 rather than 0.3 as I calculated it)

Koivu fantasy points
    09-10 = 241.7
    10-11 = 207.2

Dubinsky fantasy points
    09-10 = 197.2
    10-11 = 239

so they are pretty close in terms of production in this setup but I would rather have Koivu I think he is a better player and he is guaranteed to be the top line centre and get all the even strength and PP time he can handle. While dubinsky is an importnant part of the rangers team he doesnt have that same status.
    It's cleared up now, and it's Plus/Minus worth one point, and PIM worth 0.3. So, it's goes more in Koivu's favour based on your calculations. I like Koivu in this case, regardless. The other thing to consider is that it's harder to find higher point producers in the later rounds, unlike PIM/HIT peripherals.

As for Dubinsky scoring more goals, his career high of 24 goals last year is only two higher than Koivu's of the season before. Dubinsky could get more but I believe so could Koivu, based on his shot totals. So, that minor advantage plus in peripherals is not enough to choose him over a guy who could easily outscore him by 20 points in my opinion.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I like Mikko as well.

Dobber Sports Guru

It's cleared up now, and it's Plus/Minus worth one point, and PIM worth 0.3. So, it's goes more in Koivu's favour based on your calculations. I like Koivu in this case, regardless. The other thing to consider is that it's harder to find higher point producers in the later rounds, unlike PIM/HIT peripherals.

As for Dubinsky scoring more goals, his career high of 24 goals last year is only two higher than Koivu's of the season before. Dubinsky could get more but I believe so could Koivu, based on his shot totals. So, that minor advantage plus in peripherals is not enough to choose him over a guy who could easily outscore him by 20 points in my opinion.
    Thanks for pointing that out ..... and yes in that case I agree that I think Koivu is the guy to go with here.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post

Koivu fantasy points
    09-10 = 241.7
    10-11 = 207.2

Dubinsky fantasy points
    09-10 = 197.2
    10-11 = 239

Thanks guys. I ended up taking him with my next pick. I did like how he was essentially guaranteed top line time. Your thoughts helped a lot.

I gave rep to you guys, I'll hit the other two tomorrow once I can.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Genius

Not 100% true, but usually the guy with the bigger contract is the better option in Fantasy. Thus, when things are tremendously close, check the contracts. Koivu has a freaky one. It helps ascertain who has the higher upside window.

Not that I think it will happen, but who has the better chance at an 80 point season?

Mikko is clearly the answer. He was on 70 point pace again last year. Not that it'll make a huge difference, but I do prefer Heatley to Havlat. More upside and superior goal scoring potential.

The only down side, is that Mikko seems to miss a few more games.

Dobber Sports Genius

I like the little guy here too. I think Koivu we be a better fantasy option, plus you know he is going to play 1st line minutes.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf