Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Score Forecaster 2011

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by stick boy View Post
    Grab Dobber, the forecaster, mckeen's, whatever you prefer and make your own list before the draft

Write your own projections 1st and then note all the others. This will also help you reference which players a poolie might take next in the draft. If a majority of poolies are using THN after you, maybe you can let the 46 pt projected Benn slip to the next round.

Also......don't overvalue a player because one mag has his points projected through the roof. Don't grab Ryan's Score projected 88 too early in the draft and pass on Kopitar's lower projected totals.

Eg. McKeen's had Kopitar projected at 104 pts last year and he went 3rd overall in a one year pool. The next guy picked Daniel Sedin. You get the picture. Take your hand off the trigger!

----------S.B.-----Dobber----Score---THN--McKeens---2010- GP---PTS---PPG--PPP---NOTES

Ryan------74---------78--------88------
    Fowler----46---------49--------55------

You'll start second guessing yourself by flipping between 3 mags on draft day. BE PREPARED!!!
    Well said, personally I use a excel to collect all projections along with mine and rank players according to positions and add in some notes like which categories they excelled in.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hattrick_44 View Post
    You see it in Dobber's guide as well, read the 20 players to avoid on draft day and check thier projections. It happens because a magizine isn't put together by one person.
    Well I must say that I think this is a huge mistake wherever it occurs. These guides are read by many novice fantasy players and it's extremely confusing to have conflicting reports on players.

I just don't see the value in one part of a guide warning you to stay away from a player, followed by projections which are great for that player. Instant credibility fail IMO.

If a bunch of people are contributing to a guide, I think each person should get a different section where their take shouldn't contradict the final projections - ex: Rookies, Goalies, PIM, Projections, etc.

I liken this to a financial magazine telling you avoid a stock at all costs then a few pages later projecting that stock as likely one of the best investments for the year. Contradictions like that really irk me in guides.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Prodigy

How come no one's mentioned "Hockey - The Magazine". Terrible publication but the title is just so ballsy.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeJerry View Post
    How come no one's mentioned "Hockey - The Magazine". Terrible publication but the title is just so ballsy.
    I find that magazine at Chapters in Montreal when I go in Jan. Not for nothing, but if I found it on the shelves here in Philly, I'd pick it up and give it a whirl - why not? These mags make great beach reading material in the summer.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Ace

Speaking of using many different magazines or thinkers..one of the guys had a thread and worksheet earlier this summer in which fellow dobberites posted their projections for players, and it was pretty interesting.

Summed in highs, lows, average, etc, etc.

I'd post the actual link, but I'm absolutely useless at finding threads...

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    Speaking of using many different magazines or thinkers..one of the guys had a thread and worksheet earlier this summer in which fellow dobberites posted their projections for players, and it was pretty interesting.

Summed in highs, lows, average, etc, etc.

I'd post the actual link, but I'm absolutely useless at finding threads...
    luckily i'm reading this thread!

here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=2
    15-Team keep 6f, 3d, 1g pts-only, wins=2, SO=3, OTL=1
    F: Robertson, Thompson, DeBrincat, McCann, Tomasino, Chytil, Brink, Carlsson, Berggren, Guenther
    D: Morrissey, Montour, Jiricek, Perbix, LaCombe, Perunovich
    G: Talbot, Kuemper, Merzlikins, Kochetkov, Copley

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by gerbernomics View Post
    luckily i'm reading this thread!

here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=2
    Gerbernomics spreadsheet is great. Everyone should check it out. It takes in everyone's varying opinions on players and comes up with a very sensible prediction.

Thanks Ger. I'll be using it on draft day

The Great One

If you're in a US money league, here's my argument as to why you should at least consider getting the THN Guide, and it has nothing to do with relying upon it for projections.

The fact is, most US poolies do not get the Forecaster or McKeens because they are not on newsstands here. And they also likely still have not been fortunate enough to have found this site. So when they decide to get a magazine to use for draft prep, they most likely will pick up the THN Guide, since it's all over the place in the US.

The THN Guide has a list of players and their projections near the end, and many US poolies use this to check off guys during the draft. So every year I get the THN Guide not for help in planning my selections, but to use during my draft to check off players as they're picked. That way I can tell who my competitors are likely to target next (i.e., the best guys on the list who have not been drafted) and I can adjust my strategy accordingly. For example, if I really want a guy but he's still pretty far down on the THN list, then I might wait a round or two to grab him. It's proven to be a very good strategy for many years.

Dobber Sports Genius

I still haven't seen the Forecaster on shelves in Winnipeg. I'm beginning to think I should just wait an extra bit and get McKeen's guide at this point. Hopefully it's not too far away.

Dobber Sports Genius

For anyone interested, sounds like McKeen's Hockey Pool Yearbook is expected to be on shelves on Monday, September 12.

http://twitter.com/#!/mckeenshockey

I'm not sure I can hold out that long. It may be the Forecaster again, for me. Or both...