Thread: #6 defenseman

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default #6 defenseman

I'm looking to fill my last D spot and I have to choose from these guys:
    Keith Ballard, Alexei Yemelin, Tom Gilbert, Fedor Tyutin, Marc-Eduard Vlasic, Zbynek Michalek.

My team is pretty young, so I don't necessarily need help this year. It's a H2H league with these skater stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, Hits, Blocks.

I already have lots of points from defensemen, so I want someone who can help me with all the stats.

Right now I'm leaning towards Ballard but should I take a risk with Yemelin or someone else? Yemelin is 3-4 years younger than Ballard and that would be nice. It doesn't cost me anything (unless someone else then takes Ballard) so I could take a risk. What do you think?

Dobber Sports All-Star

Welcome to the boards! This is a tough one as these are all depth guys. I'd take a shot with Tyutin or Ballard. Tyutin's numbers should get a little better with the added offence in Columbus and Ballard could surprise in Vancouver. I don;t have a lot of faith in the others to be contributors to enough cats to make it worth your while.
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think Tom Gilbert in the end is going to be the guy to step up enough to make it worth your while - it may take one more season though. He's a big time shot blocker for starters - he is consider to be offensive not that he has demonstrated a lot of that yet, but as the Oilers improve, so should his numbers. In your situation, I am pretty sure that is who I am choosing.

Dobber Sports Expert

Tyutin for the safe play. Ballard/Gilbert if you want some upside/bounceback potential.

I think i would go with Gilbert as well. Shoeless already stated he is in a good situation for increasing numbers.

Dobber Sports Genius

For your last d-man, I would take a guy who can hit the peripherals cats.

Someone who can add to hits, blocks, and PIM... +/- would be a bonus.

In this case, I'd probably take Ballard. It is a gamble, he could possibly get a fresh start this coming season in Vancouver or they could trade him. Either way, I think he'll get a chance to redeem himself
    14 GM H2H Salary Cap League (Salaries not Caps)
    Stats:G A +/- PIM PPG PPA SHP GWG SOG FW HITS|W GAA SV SV% SHO
    Start: 2C,2LW,2RW,4D,2UTIL,2G
    Prospect Farm (<92GP skaters, <60 goalies)

Dobber Pro League Wales Division - Roto
    Stats: G,A,+/-,PiM,PPP,SOG|W,GAA,Saves
    Start: 4C,4L,4R,6D,2G (Weekly changes)
    2010 - 3rd place
    2009 - 3rd place

Dobber Sports Ninja

I would roll the dice with Ballard. Whatever happens to him he will contribute well in the peripherals department, if he and the coaching staff in Vancouver can work on their relationship or if he gets moved to a team with a greater need for a defenseman with his skill-set then bonus.

PS: Welcome to the boards!!
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Master

Shoeless is spot on here. None of these guys are fantasy relevant in most leagues now. However, Gilbert can still step up, block shots, and get some points along the way.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Recruit

Thanks for the replies! Since Ballard, Gilbert and Tyutin were the ones you suggested, I decided to take a look at their (pro-rated) numbers from the past 4 years.

Ballard: 6G, 17A, +7, 78PIM, 92SOG, 5PPP, 0.8SHP, 156 Hits, 160BS
    Gilbert: 7G, 27A, -6, 24PIM, 103SOG, 11PPP, 1.8SHP, 50 Hits, 160BS
    Tyutin: 7G, 22A, -4, 52PIM, 146SOG, 13PPP, 0.5SHP, 133 Hits, 108BS

The big question now is; will Tyutin keep scoring big numbers after Wisniewski arrives? Dobber seems to think Tyutin can score over 30 points even though Wiz scores about 50 and both Russell and Clitsome score about 40. That sounds like a lot of offense coming from the d-men.

I still don't know who to take but luckily I don't have to decide before the season begins.