Thread: Will the Real Dustin Penner Please Stand Up?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Will the Real Dustin Penner Please Stand Up?

In fantasy hockey circles, Dustin Penner has the reputation of being soft, someone who doesn't put in the effort to maximize his physical tools. Clearly, he earned that perception with his lackluster performance over the past few seasons. Since this is the final year of his current deal, Penner will be an unrestricted free agent next summer. I have cautious optimism that the motivation of earning his next contract will lead to him lighting the lamp more frequently.

Having only watched Penner closely since he was acquired from Edmonton at the trade deadline, I was curious if there was anything beneath the surface of this enigmatic left wing. As I dug into his background, I saw a definite pattern of "two steps forward, one step back". Although, at times it appeared it was more like two steps forward and three steps back. The good news for the LA Kings, however, is there seems to be more than just a new contract that could be driving Penner this season.

Penner's career path has been bumpy, to say the least. Hockey News recently named Dustin as one of their Top Ten Active Undrafted Players in the NHL, but his struggle to succeed goes even further back. He was cut from his local junior team three different times. He was facing a future of working in a plant after high school and only earned a spot on a junior college team in North Dakota as a "walk on". After his first season at Minot State-Bottineau was cut short with a broken leg, Penner came back the following year with 20 goals and 13 assists. This turnaround led to him being named the team's Most Determined Player.

Let's pause and read that again.... Dustin Penner was once named a team's most determined player.

He parlayed that junior college success to a scholarship from the University of Maine. As a red-shirt freshman, Penner scored the game winning goal for the Black Bears in the 2004 NCAA semi-final game against Boston College. On his way to winning a Stanley Cup with the Anaheim Ducks in 2006-07, Penner had 29 goals. His 45 points that year set a franchise rookie record, later to be broken by Bobby Ryan. Once again, Penner came through when the lights were shining the brightest. He scored the game winning goal in Game 4 of the Cup Finals against the Ottawa Senators.

So, Dustin Penner has been cited as being "most determined" and has scored big goals in the clutch. How did he become the maligned player that we all know him for today?

After winning the Cup, Anaheim was having difficulty staying under the salary cap. Edmonton GM Kevin Lowe swooped in with an offer to Penner that many would classify as inflated. The Ducks were unable to fit Dustin under the cap and let him walk. It is interesting to note that Penner was the most recent RFA to change teams via an offer sheet. I wonder how much that plays into the public perception of him.

Penner's first season with the Oilers was impressive. He scored a team-high 23 goals and added 24 assists. The following year (2008-09), however, he came out of the gates slowly and was publicly criticized by head coach Craig MacTavish for a lack of fitness and competitiveness. Gee, that sounds a lot like Terry Murray's assessment of him at times after he joined the Kings. But I am getting ahead of myself.

After the previous year's embarrassment, Penner bounced back with a career season. In the 2009-10 campaign, Dustin netted 32 goals and added 31 helpers. I am guessing that's the sort of production Dean Lombardi was hoping for when he acquired Penner at last year's trade deadline. The transition to Los Angeles, though, was a rough one for Dustin. He was held pointless in the final twelve games of the regular season, during which time he was dropped from the top six to the checking line. When the team activated Scott Parse as a last ditch effort for offense in the final games of their first round playoff loss, Penner spent time on the fourth line along with goon Kevin Westgarth. Fans were wondering if he would be watching the rest of the series from the press box.

By all accounts, Dustin Penner has worked his butt off this summer and will show up for the 2011-12 season in the best shape of his life. Considering how he would glide back to the Los Angeles bench out of breath at the end of shifts last April, I am anxious to see what Mr. Penner can do with a fire in his belly. Don't get me wrong. I don't trust this guy as far as I can throw him. But all the ingredients are in place for a solid season.

He responds well to adversity:
    • He was considered a bust after joining the Kings last season.

He comes through in big games:
    • The Kings are stacked to get deeper into the playoffs with the addition of Mike Richards and Simon Gagne.

And let's not forget the obvious:
    • He knows his next contract will be based on this year's production.

I don't expect miracles, but I think this will be one of Penner's "two steps forward" years. I would project between 55-60 points, with a pretty even split between goals and assists. As a Kings fan, I will take that every day, and twice on Sunday.

Just let someone else pick up the tab and overpay for him next year, when he takes those three steps back again.
    Last edited by Sudden Death; August 5, 2011 at 4:26 PM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

This was another fantastic read Sudden Death. I loved it just as much as I loved your article about the two Jonathans. Best of all you covered one of the players poolies are most annoyed with, its nice to see some history and a timeline. Incredible that he was once praised for his work ethic. What the hell happened lol.

I think a prediction of 55-60 is fairly reasonable. It could happen. Me though I had him pegged between 50-55.

Again though, great read and I'm looking forward to your next one!
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Great research here and great article.

Thanks for the insight.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Great article. Well written and had good flow. An easy and informative read.
    GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    RW: Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Cole, Shane Doan, Jackob Silfverberg
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Dobber Sports Guru

thanks for posting, great read!!! .... and not trying to be an ass here but it would make it a whole lot easier on the eyes if you could edit it to remove all the squares that replace apostrophes when you cut and paste from word.

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    could edit it to remove all the squares that replace apostrophes when you cut and paste from word.
    done. pasting for word is a B%!#* haha...

another great read Howard - tweeting it now!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    thanks for posting, great read!!! .... and not trying to be an ass here but it would make it a whole lot easier on the eyes if you could edit it to remove all the squares that replace apostrophes when you cut and paste from word.
    thanks for heads up. I had seen those squares after posting, but couldn't figure out what caused them.

Dobber Sports Pro

Interesting ups and downs! I think too many players take it easy after getting a fat contract.

Same can be said for taking it easy after a great year. Inflated head syndrome is a malady affecting many players, notably first year players who have a stellar season.....hence the dreaded sophomore slump.
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Sudden Death View Post
    thanks for heads up. I had seen those squares after posting, but couldn't figure out what caused them.
    the following :

" "
    ' '
    - (but the bigger version)

Anytime you transfer from word they will mess up on you. You can edit them out before you post, I usually do a control+F and highlight all so I can see what needs to be changed.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    the following :

" "
    ' '
    - (but the bigger version)

Anytime you transfer from word they will mess up on you. You can edit them out before you post, I usually do a control+F and highlight all so I can see what needs to be changed.
    thanks, I'll watch out for that in the future.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Nicely written, Sudden Death. Penner owner here - hope springs eternal.