Thread: Malkin for Datsyuk/Yandle

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Malkin for Datsyuk/Yandle

Hey guys, yet another question, lol.

I have Datsyuk and Yandle. A GM offered me Malkin for these two guys. I'm planning on going for it this year. The way I see it is Datsyuk is somewhat injury prone and Yandle's value couldn't be higher while the opposite is true for Malkin (value wise). We are in the midst of drafting in our annual summer draft (drops that people couldn't keep from our cascading keeper and entry draft players) so my team isn't complete

Here are the stats we dress weekly 3C LW RW, 4F, 4D, 2G and have 8 bench.
    (G)5 (A)5 (Blk)0.2 (Hit)0.2 (PIM)0.3 (+/-)1 (SOG)0.2
    (GA)-1 (SV)0.5 (SHO)7 (W) 8

And here is the team:
    Zach Parise LW
    Sidney Crosby C
    Jason Pominville RW
    James Neal LW
    Pavel Datsyuk C
    Daniel Sedin LW
    Derek Roy C
    Nicklas Backstrom C
    Teddy Purcell RW
    Teemu Selanne RW
    Bryan Little RW

Kris Letang
    Keith Yandle
    Kevin Shattenkirk
    Alex Edler
    David Runblad

Henrik Lundqvist
    Carey Price
    Cam Ward
    Evgeni Nabokov
    12 Team H2H
    3C LW RW, 4F, 4D, 2G 8 bench.
    (G) 5 (A) 5 (Blk) 0.2 (Hit) 0.2 (PIM) 0.3 (+/-) 1 (SOG) 0.2
    (GA) -1 (SV) 0.2 (SHO) 7 (W) 7

Dobber Sports Monster

nah I'd stand pat. Dats and Malkin can be close enough in points to not warrant losing Yandle. I'd stick with Datsyuk and Yandle here.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Agree with shakes if you're going for it this year I would keep datsyuk/yandle
    10 team keeper league points only
    pts: g=1 a=1 w=3 so=2 Cap 99.21m
    starting roster 12f, 6d, 1g Current Cap 99.12
    Forwards
    Malkin, Scheifele, Gaudreau, Kessel, Point, Atkinson, Palmieri, Bratt, Tuch, Borgstrom, Fiala, Steel
    Defense
    Hedman, Krug, Muzzin, Subban, Yandle, Brodie,
    Goalie
    Bobrovsky
    Reserves
    Hinostroza, Brannstrom, Andersson, Vaakanainen, Blackwood

Dobber Sports Pro

I like Yandle and Dats but I keep thinking that if you have a shot to get Malkin, especially where you own Crosby, I think you have to do it.

If Dats gets 90 points and Malkin is close then you are really looking at replacing Yandle's 50 points on the back end. Say the replacement is a 35 point d-man, you are looking at losing 15 points. But if Malkin returns to form or he and Crosby go off this year and you are looking at 110+ points, you are already ahead.

Then I consider that Malkin may get C/LW eligibility and you could go with Crosby/Backstrom/Roy at C and Parise/Sedin/Malkin at LW.

With your roster and this being a keeper I am going to double-down and take Malkin. Why settle for winning just this year when you can win for the next 5.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ya I agree with shakedown, stand pat

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chuk View Post
    I like Yandle and Dats but I keep thinking that if you have a shot to get Malkin, especially where you own Crosby, I think you have to do it.

If Dats gets 90 points and Malkin is close then you are really looking at replacing Yandle's 50 points on the back end. Say the replacement is a 35 point d-man, you are looking at losing 15 points. But if Malkin returns to form or he and Crosby go off this year and you are looking at 110+ points, you are already ahead.

Then I consider that Malkin may get C/LW eligibility and you could go with Crosby/Backstrom/Roy at C and Parise/Sedin/Malkin at LW.

With your roster and this being a keeper I am going to double-down and take Malkin. Why settle for winning just this year when you can win for the next 5.
    Chuk raises a very interesting point here. Your Defence is great with or without Yandle. And Malkin at 100% is nuts. Maybe you take a risk here, it would be well worth it in the end.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the input. When I posted this thread I had to mind set of doing this trade which was very close to Chuk's line of thinking. Here are the dmen available for drafting. I don't know if it changes things a bit:
    Ed Jovanovski
    Dennis Wideman
    Niklas Kronwall
    Victor Hedman
    Jamie McBain
    Bryan McCabe
    Michael Del Zotto
    Joni Pitkanen
    Sheldon Souray
    12 Team H2H

Dobber Sports Padawan

Don't make the move... even with the thought of Rundblad making the team, he's still a raw rookie and I wouldn't count on top end production from him right away with Karlsson and Gonchar there.

As I see your roster, you already have a starting 3C of Crosby, Datsyuk and Backstrom... that is still a major strength of your team. Having Yandle on your team just makes your starting D a major strength as well. Add in the fact that a player usually takes 12-18 months to fully recover from ACL surgery, and I don't think you will gain anything - and likely lose - any upside you hope for in going for it this year. Keep what you have, you'll do very well.
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+

Dobber Sports Demi-God

You will lose this deal in the first year if Malkin doesn't produce 20 - 25 points more than Datsyuk - that is very roughly factoring in Kronwall as a replacement for Yandle.

Over time I think Runblad will help close that gap.

Can Malkin do it? I think it is possible if not probable.

I would do it - it's a gamble, but I don't play fantasy hockey to only do sure things.

Dobber Sports Wizard

You will never get Malkin for any cheaper than this.

The key really is whether you are in contention this year or not. If you have a good chance of winning this year, you are almost forced to stand pat.

Datsyuk is great and should have a good year, but he will slowly decline, and no GM will do this trade a year from now for a 34 year old Dats.

Maybe push for something else in the package to help your D a bit more. Or look at another way you can make a deal to shore up your D for when you lose Yandle.

Cheers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jay1982 View Post
    The way I see it is Datsyuk is somewhat injury prone
    wtf? Dats was hurt late last year and I'm sure that was frustrating for you but he's far from injury prone! Before last year he'd only missed 3 games in 3 seasons...that's much better than Malkin!

I just dunno about this deal though, I'm firmly in the camp that is skeptical regarding Malkin. I'm not saying that we won't ever come back and be one of the best in the league but its not going to be this year and I think the odds are pretty good that he gets re-injured in the near future. I watch as much football (both college and pros) as I do hockey and a torn ACL is one of the worst things you can suffer as an athlete of either sport. Malkin doesn't just have a torn ACL, he's got a torn MCL too, his knee is essentially held together with duct tape and chewing gum right now and I worry about his ability to return 100%

The big thing I've noticed is that if a player DOES return to something near his former greatness it never happens in year 1, they have trouble trusting the knee fully, it feels odd, etc. But if he can make it thru this next season healthy then his outlook is optimistic. I just worry he re-injures himself this season. I'm steering clear of him in all my leagues unless he comes cheap, I don't think the risk is worth it

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up taking too long to get back to him and the guy traded Malkin, Burns and Giroux for Kopitar, Goligoski and Duchene to another GM. In the end I am happy with standing still. I posted the question on here because I was severly tempted to pull the trigger so I could own Malkin and Crosby. Thankfully with everyone's help I was able to resist. This is a 12 team league and I think I have a pretty solid team and plan on making a run for it. I think by trading Dats and Yandle I would have hurt my chances at winning.

Also, Mcgoo; that's weird for some reason I was 100% sure he missed serious time 2 seasons ago and another time awhile back. Then I thought "Must have gotten confused with Zetterberg"; checked his stats and he hasn't missed that much time either. Don't know what I was thinking, lol.
    12 Team H2H

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jay1982 View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up taking too long to get back to him and the guy traded Malkin, Burns and Giroux for Kopitar, Goligoski and Duchene to another GM. In the end I am happy with standing still. I posted the question on here because I was severly tempted to pull the trigger so I could own Malkin and Crosby. Thankfully with everyone's help I was able to resist. This is a 12 team league and I think I have a pretty solid team and plan on making a run for it. I think by trading Dats and Yandle I would have hurt my chances at winning.
    Oh well, good luck this year Jay. It will be interesting to look back on this at the end of the year.

I really like the deal for the guy who got Malkin and Giroux. I know there is the risk, but if you are looking at pure upside those are 2 nice pieces to add. I like Kopitar and I always like Duchene but I think this is a buy low on Malkin.

Mcgoo is right that the ACL is a horrible hockey injury. It generally takes 18 months to get back to 100% if you ever get there. Generally the younger the player and the better conditioned the better the chances of coming back. You know Malkin will get the best doctor/trainer/nutrition etc.. coming back so let's hope for the best. Even if he only gets back to 90% is that still not top 5 or 10 ion the league?

Time will tell.