Thread: Prospect trade (mostly)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Prospect trade (mostly)

I want to evaluate a trade right now that I made earlier in the season. It turned out to be a trade for mostly prospects, so maybe this offseason would be a better time to evaluate it. I was not sure of it at the time and I am still not sure whether I won or lost. It is certainly possible that we will not be able to tell for five years who won this trade, but let me know what you think of it at the current time:

I received:

J. Bernier - could be the future goaltender of a future powerhouse team in LA
    D. Brassard - big fan of this kid\'s game although he is still a few years away
    M. Sturm - non-keeper - could be reacquired in waiver draft if I wanted, but doubtful

I gave up:

P. Stastny - didn\'t know he would finish the year as good as he did, but he was already a Calder candidate when I made this trade. Only hurts if Bernier and Brassard don\'t pan out
    M. Knuble - another non-keeper - I could reacquire, but I doubt it

So what do you guys think? It basically comes down to whether Bernier and Brassard could be more valuable than Stastny. I am of the opinion that Stastny had a GREAT rookie season but could be close to his ceiling already. I doubt he ever gets to be a 80 - 90 point player in the NHL, which Brassard could be?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re:Prospect trade (mostly)

In order to fully analyze this trade we need to know a little bit more about your team. How many players are kept? How many players are on each team/How many at each position? How many teams in the league? What are your stat Categories?

Without all this info its hard to fully analyze, but I think that you won this trade just by the fact that you got Bernier. He is going to be an absolute All-Star and he is going to be coming into his own just as the Kings start their possible dynasty run, with players like Cammalleri (sp?), Frolov, Kopitar, O\'Sullivan, Johnson, Brown, among others hitting their peaks.

As far as giving up Stastny goes, yea its a big loss as he is going to be a superstar in this league, but so is Bernier (just at a different position). On top of that there is Brassard who also has the potential to be a star. So overall I think you won, hands down.
    12 Team H2H (Daily) - Keep 10 + 5(Farm)
    4C/3LW/3RW/4D/3G/4Bench/3IR
    G A Pts +/- STP GWG SOG/ W Sv% GAA SHO
    Centers:
    A. Barkov (IR), C. McDavid, J. Carter, Y. Gourde(LW), N. Paul(LW), C. Stephenson
    LWs:
    F. Forsberg, J. Guentzel, A. Duclair(RW), E. Haula(C), A. Killorn
    RWs:
    N. Ehlers(LW), V. Tarasenko, F. Gaudreau(C), V. Podkolzin
    D:
    T. Chabot, C. Makar, M. Dumba, OEL, N. Schmidt
    G:
    S. Bobrovky, T. Demko, J. Gibson(IR), A. Stolarz(IR)
    Farm:
    J. Annunen, A. Kaliyev, A. Lundell, F. Lysell, M. Rossi

Dobber Sports Genius

from what i\'ve been hearing about bernier you will probably come out ahead of the game on this one.again it still depends on who else you have and the way your pool runs.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

don\'t think I would have done that. I have three main rules when I have trouble assessing a trade:

1) quality > quantity (ALWAYS)
    2) the team getting the best player wins 90% of the time
    3) proven >>>>>> unproven (can\'t stress this enough). Sure Bernier and Brassard could become great players, but both are still not pro ready. Bernier should pan out to be a hell of a goalie down the road, but Stastny has shown the ability to dominate at the NHL level in his first pro season.

It isn\'t that bad of a deal. I\'m not extremely high on Brassard (he could top out as a Tanguay type), but Bernier really impressed me all season, especially during the playoffs and Memorial Cup.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

I...am your father.

angus wrote:
    don\'t think I would have done that. I have three main rules when I have trouble assessing a trade:

1) quality > quantity (ALWAYS)
    2) the team getting the best player wins 90% of the time
    3) proven >>>>>> unproven
    Those rules are golden, Angus! Nice!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Well, I won my league this past season without Stastny, although he certainly would have been a keeper for my team. On top of that, he would have been a free keeper for my team as he still qualifies as a prospect. That is what hurts about the trade a little bit, BUT the fact that I was able to win without his late season surge, makes me feel ok about dumping him off. Every team in the league is granted twelve keepers, plus all farm assets and prospects are kept automatically. My team was granted an extra keeper as the winner of the league and I also had Budaj on my current roster qualifying as a prospect, so I really got 14 keepers from my current roster, although I COULD have had 15 with Stastny. Here is my current roster:

C: Thornton, Briere, Sundin
    LW: D. Sedin, Morrow, Brunette
    RW: Selanne, PM Bouchard, Recchi
    D: Schneider, Boucher, T. Kaberle
    G: Luongo, Budaj

Farm: Pavelski, Setoguchi, Brassard, J. Bernier, Bolland, Vasyunov, O\'Marra

My reasoning for the trade was that I was in the process of depleting my team\'s farm system for current older players in order to put my name on the trophy. I was fine with doing so, but this trade presented itself and I did not think I was losing a future superstar at the time in Stastny (remember that halfway through the season he was a good looking rook, but not a future star in anyone\'s mind). I also really wanted a good goaltending prospect with Luongo being my only true starter at that time (Budaj was still in competition with Theodore). And on top of all of that, I knew at the time I had AT LEAST three keeper centers and Stastny would make four, which would be fine, but I thought the assets I was getting back at the time were what my team really needed. SO what do you guys think now, knowing the facts?