Thread: Fringe Defensemen: Pros and Cons

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Fringe Defensemen: Pros and Cons

I don't know about you, but for me the most challenging part of drafting a fantasy roster is the last couple of picks. Let's face it, in the early rounds it doesn't really take a rocket scientist to make those selections. At the top of the board the big point getters just jump right off the page. Often times however the last couple of rounds can be make or break when it comes to weekly head to head leagues. The early rounds can be a wash, but if you get major production from your last few picks it can often lead to a championship.

So when you get to the late rounds chances are you are going to be faced with some tough decisions. You are probably looking at a guy who you think might be able to help your squad, but there is a good chance he could submarine it as well. Most of the players left at this stage are going to come with some buyer beware and you are probably going to have to go out on a limb with someone. Here are five defensemen you may find yourself looking at towards the end of your draft.

Sheldon Souray - DAL

Why you should take him

Dallas is going to manage his minutes and avoid playing him against the other teams top guys. Meaning he will probably be a power play spe******t and given an opportunity to put up points while hopefully not being a huge minus player.

He still has that booming shot from the point that can get goals and he is willing to fight and should still put up solid PIM. His time in the AHL should leave him hungry to prove that he belongs as an everyday NHLer and this could be his last chance to do just that.

Why you should be cautious

He is now 36 and his missed significant time in the past two seasons due to injury. Souray has been unable to find a lot of consistency offensively since he left Montreal and his game has dropped off considerably over the past three seasons.

Travis Hamonic - NYI

Why you should take him

Had a solid rookie season by putting up 26 points and over 100 PIM in just 62 games. He was also a plus-4 on a weak Islanders squad and if his junior numbers are any indication, he can put up points as well as PIM.

His favorite number must be 118 as he posted it in hits, blocks and shots on goal. The only Islander to have over 100 in each category.

Beware of the sophomore slump for Hamonic and the Islanders are still going to struggle this season so don't expect those numbers to make a big jump. His special team stats weren't great with only four power play points. The return of Mark Streit should also hurt his overall minutes and power play time.

Anton Babchuk - CGY

Why you should take him

His 35 points are nothing to sneeze at and his plus-14 led a not so defensive Flames squad. Babchuk's big shot makes him a power play threat and last season he proved he could score in all situations. He notched six power play, one shorthanded, two even strength and two game-winning goals.
    Babchuk has proven he can get shots through and put pucks on net as his 132 shots last year would indicate.

Last year was his first full season in the NHL so there is a little mystery surrounding Babchuk. His lack of toughness for a D man is also alarming as he only posted 19 hits and 32 PIM in 82 games.

Jack Johnson - LAK

Why you should take him

His point totals have improved over the past two seasons and he is starting to play with more confidence. Johnson can really help your power play stats as 28 of his 42 points came with the man advantage. He led the team in that regard and had ten more power play points than any other Kings player and 13 more than Drew Doughty.

Johnson is atrocious defensively as there is no excuse to be minus-21 on a Kings team that good. He has never been a plus player in his career and there is no sign of that part of his game improving anytime soon.

He is also not a big goal scorer as he only put up five last season and his season high for his career is eight.

Dan Girardi - NYR

Why you should take him

If your league has blocks in it you really can't go wrong with Girardi as he led the league in that category last season and he is always a force in that area. Combine that with his hit total which hasn't dipped below 178 in the past four seasons and you could have yourself a pretty good bargain.

He struggles with the puck as he led the Rangers in giveaways last year and finished second the year before. Girardi has never been a high PIM guy and his total in that category took a pretty substantial drop last year.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I agree with you that the last few picks can be really tough, Mike. There are so many more options at that level of the player pyramid for one.

The D guys you comment on here are probably all gone that late in a draft in my leagues unfortunately. What size of league are you suggesting you are drafting for?

Just for sake of discussion, over the last couple of years in my one year leagues I have found D guys to be generally more valuable than forwards in most league formats, so I have been drafting my D guys earlier than the last few rounds in general.

Got any Forwards you can throw at us in the same vain, say around 250th pick?

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

I really enjoyed this one Amato. This is something most GMs can get value from.

Presenting the readers with two sides of the coin is a great approach.

I think you already have a sequel on your hands, my friend!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Great read. Well presented and I can say I agree with most of your points!

Looking forward to some sort of sequel for other positions.
    GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    RW: Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Cole, Shane Doan, Jackob Silfverberg
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Interesting read, but as others have pointed out in deep leagues we'd be lucky to see these guys still around halfway through the draft.

Also, I'm personally steering clear of Souray. Guy couldn't put up numbers in the AHL, was constantly injured, and is too slow to keep up with the game anymore... When NYR passes on picking him up one waivers when they need a PP d-man, it's pretty telling - especially when they say he's too slow for the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Dobber Sports Icon

Nice job dude! My league has blocked shots so some GMs will use those later picks looking for help in that peripheral category, which is where some of those guys you mention come into the equation. I do think people undervalue those late round picks, sometimes you can find real steals and make some savvy picks.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper