Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gotta keep 4 of 6 young pimps

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Vancityguy View Post
    With that talent, the other team's must be short on young stud's.

Seriously, what kind of a league is it where one guy can accumulate basically 7 of the top 8 or 9 young Dmen in the league!!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Ace

Let me give some background, as the original poster here.

It's a 12-team league where about five of the GM's are very active, three or four are moderately active, and the bottom three aren't whatsoever. That's reflected in attitudes towards young prospects, particularly on the blueline.

I grabbed EJ and Hedman a couple years ago (our first year as a keeper league), drafted Subban, Carlson and Karlsson last year, and grabbed Shattenkirk and Fowler off waivers very early in the year.

Which leads to the next tough issue...and that's that it's been really tough to get any interest in a trade for one or two of these guys. The bottom teams aren't interested b/c most of those GM's view Shatts, Carlson, Fowler, etc as nothing but good prospects and have little interest in prospects unless they're forwards (ie-Benn, Eberle, Ennis are viewed as absolutely untouchable)...while the top teams aren't looking to add youngsters b/c they know they've got a chance to win for the next few years.

Plus, teams that are interested know I need to drop three of them..so they may be able to draft one of those players without having to give up a decent player.

That works for me, in that I could easily re-draft one (or even two of the guys), but I'd rather work a deal. Fortunately, we have until early September to choose keepers, so there's not a major rush to make a choice either way.

FYI - my thoughts were to keep:

1. Karlsson - best on the list

2. EJ - Think he's going to have a massive year. One bad year doesn't make him a bust...and I want to be there when he turns it around. Undoubtedly the top option in Colorado right now.

3. Subban - also set to be a bigtime producer

4a. Fowler - think he's Shattenkirk, minus three years of age. Love the chance of him seeing top PP minutes due to an oft-injured Visnovsky. Soph slump is a concern, though

4b. Carlson - because I think Washington could very well move Green. If I don't keep Carlson, he's a guy I'd look to re-draft in the early rounds. But for now, limited PP time.

My toughest choice is between Carlson and Fowler for the fourth spot.

6. Shattenkirk - I'm in the group that thinks he's the long-term second option in StLouis, behind Pietrangelo. Great young player, though

7. Hedman - no idea when he'll see PP time, which is a major concern

Dobber Sports Initiate

In light of your last comments, I'd make an offer to any of the medium active GM's, and open with Subban, Erik Johnson and Hedman for a keeper forward... These three names are the highest profile for the guys who aren't paying close attention, Subban also was in the spotlight enough that he qualifies as a "now" player to a lot of fringe GM's.

Go for a forward coming off a slower year or young guy in the same vein as your D men.. i.e. JVR etc
    "I mean technically, I could say that every defender's upside is 80 points and never 'lose my house.'"
    - lanky 522

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Karlsson
    Fowler
    Shattenkirk
    Subban
    12 team dynasty keeper league
    NHL size roster (23)
    Skater cats: G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SOG, SHP, PIMs, H, BS
    G cats: W, SV%, GA, SO's
    Start: 4LW, 4C, 4RW, 6D, 2G

LW: Parise, Vanek, Clowe, Tedenby
    C: Getzlaf, Kopitar, Nielsen, Burmistrov,
    RW: Pominville, Wheeler, Parenteau, D'Agostini
    D: Karlsson, Ekman-Larsson, Bogosian, A. McDonald, Volchenkov, L. Schenn
    G: Fleury, Lehtonen
    B: Pavelec (G), Wolski (LW), TJ Oshie (C)