Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gotta keep 4 of 6 young pimps

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Gotta keep 4 of 6 young pimps

Got a tough keeper decision coming up in a bit regarding my young defensive core.

I've managed to grab Karlsson, EJ, Carlson, Fowler, Shattenkirk, Subban, and Hedman...and with Vokoun signing in Washington, will keep four of them.

Ran the thread in March, with fairly conclusive results, but at the time I was thinking of keeping five.

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...ad.php&t=99625

But with free-agency changes and signings, late season surges from Shattenkirk, etc, etc, I was looking for extra advice now that I'm keeping four.

Points-only pool, we start five D overall, and I'll be relatively competitive this coming season (young team) but should make a real push two, three years from now.

Dobber Sports Guru

Keep whichever 4 of the 7 you cant trade!! .... seriously you should have no problem getting some sort of return for 3 of those young stud D-men.

Anyways the 4 I would keep would be

Karlsson
    Fowler
    Shattenkirk
    Subban

that leaves out Hedman, EJ and Carlson ..... no i know there will lots of differing opinions on this one but I left off Carlson due to his "apparent" shift to more of a shutdown Dmen with offensive upside rather than an offensive Dmen who can play in his own end, I also think that Orlov could take some offensive minutes in the near future with him being a L handed shot (where Green, Carlson and Wideman are all Righties). EJ Ive never been a huge fan of, his is a solid all around Dman I just dont see the offensive upside in him that I see in the others. Finally Hedman .... he is the one I struggled with as I think he could be awesome he is just taking a while to develop but again I think he may not have the offensive upside of the others, having said that he is the one that I think could make you regret leaving him off he plays on a gifted offensive team and has a coach that could do wonders for his progression. Very tough call and you are in an enviable position having to choose from those guys but you cant really go all that wrong .... I think in any given season they could all be within 10-12 points of each other. I do think that Fowler and Karlsson are givens its the other two that are up for debate.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Tough decision
    Karlsson
    Subban
    Hedman
    Fowler
    - you have a better chance of getting a couple of the others back on the re-draft.
    - you can make a case for all of them
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Points only, I'd be going with:

Karlsson
    Shattenkirk
    Fowler
    Subban

It's hard for me to say let EJ go, but here my reasoning is as follows.

Erik Karlsson has proved he's the real deal with a subpar OTT team that is rebuilding young. He is given all the opportunities in the world, is apprenticing under Gonchar and should see his numbers jump with the arrival of Rundbald on the PP.

Kevin Shattenkirk played his first full season last year and hardly disappointed. 43 pts in 72 GP as a rookie dman at the age of 21?? That's some great numbers. He's on a young and offensively powerful St Louis team. Look for him to be given an even bigger role next year.

Cam Fowler is in a great position. He is on the PP with Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan (interchanging with Teemu Selanne) and Lubomir Visnovsky. He's only 19 and managed 40 pts in 76 GP as a rookie campaign. The kid can play and produce. Visnovksy is ageing and injury prone, look to Fowler to try and fill those shoes.

PK Subban is a dynamite player who just found himself in a great situation. The Habs are getting stronger every year and although they lost Wiz they resigned Markov. Boasting 38 pts in 77 GP as a rookie, its a shame your league doesn't count PIMs (124 for him last season). Look for PK to increase his point totals by about 7 pts next season.

Erik Johnson is hard to let go off, but the former 1st Overall pick hasn't exactly met that pedigree yet. He's never managed more than 39 pts in his three full NHL seasons and will be competing for PP QB spot with the likes of Stefan Elliott and Tyler Barrie (Barrie in a season or two). I like what he does and him as fantasy option, but with the other four mentioned above, he's a drop in points only.

John Carlson is a tremendous talent on a tremendous team, but for the time being, he has still not proven he's the go to guy. Mike Green is arguably still their top Dman and why not? Green has combined for 173 pts in 192 GP over the last three seasons, even with an injury history, he's still the go to guy in WSH IMO. We can't discount what Wideman has proven as well, putting up 40 pts last season and 50 pts in the 2008-2009 campaign. Lastly, Dmitri Orlov is an up and coming prospect who can pose a threat 2-3 years down the road.

Victor Hedman is a player I'd want on my team, but simply put he has little value in a points only pool compared to the others. After two full seasons, the Swede has managed 46 pts. With Erik Brewer and Marc-Andre Bergeron on the PP, he will improve, but it will happen slowly.
    Last edited by TwoPuckCanuck; July 27, 2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Forgot to explain why not for Carlson
    GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    RW: Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Cole, Shane Doan, Jackob Silfverberg
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Dobber Sports Giant

Karlsson
    Fowler
    Subban
    Shattenkirk/ej
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Icon

Karlsson
    Carlson
    Subban
    Shattenkirk

It's a points-only league, and these guys will be gold. As much as Carlson is going to be a multi-cat stud, he should also rack up 60+ points seasons once he really gets going, so I can't see dropping him for Fowler as some are suggesting, but that's not to say Fowler isn't a great player.

EJ and Hedman will be great, but it's hard to see them matching up with these 4 straight up points even at their peak.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Icon

Part of the reason I chose Carlson over Fowler is because I just don't see the Caps keeping both Green and Carlson long term (and I don't see them ever letting Carlson go), so in my mind Carlson will be the go-to guy on the blueline in Washington long term. That is pure gold, and tough to pass up as good as Fowler's prospects are.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'd go Karlsson, Carlson, Shattenkirk, Fowler.

I too love Subban and what he brings to the table, but does he have the potential to be a 60 pt player, as all of the four I've mentioned do?

I see Subban top out at 50 pts, but a 50 pts that includes all multi-cats, and with a large dose of class and flair on the side. Pts only though, I think he is a step behind these scoring behemoth's.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default keep 4

Keep Karlsson, Fowler, and Subban 100%....seriously, not even disscusable.

Last spot goes to EJ, Shattenkirk, or Carlson. For me i would pick EJ 10% here as he should be a safe bet for 45-50 in colorado this year. And he will continue to get better. He will always be running that #1 PP for a while, i think its obvious.
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

theafhl.com - 20 Team Dynasty - H2H - Daily Lineups
    3-LW, 3-C, 3-RW, 4-D, 1-UTIL, 1-G, 8-Bench, 5-IR, Farm-27
    Stats - (G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, W, SV's, SV%, GAA, SHO)

4th in 12-13
    3rd in 11-12
    16th in 10-11

Victoria Vipers
    C - Backstrom, Kopitar, RNH, Lecavalier
    LW - D.Sedin, Nash, Heatley, Fleischmann, Franzen
    RW - Ovechkin, Eberle, Skinner, Jagr, Clutterbuck
    D - Green, Doughty, Carlson, Chara, Hedman, Markov
    G - Price, Lehtonen, Varlamov
    Farm - Havlat, Granlund, Killorn, Kruger, Pulock, Kuemper, Eriksson

Dobber Sports Genius

This is one of the most bizarre threads I've seen... what a horrible decision to have to make. I certainly agree with the trade concept.

Karlsson - 45 points and look for a rise. Excellent opportunity. BRUTAL plus minus is the only concern. Keep.

Subban - absolutely everything I'm looking for. I love his compete level. Keep.

Carlson - did his AHL time, excellent finish last year. I'm keeping him. Love his PP linemates.

EJ - 1st PP. Served his apprenticeship. Now's the time for the former 1st overall to really impress. Keep.

Damn it. Don't get me wrong, I like all the kids below and would be thrilled to add them to my teams.

Shattenkirk - wild hot and cold spells last year. Great situation. Still has some stabilizing to achieve in his game. (I got him, but would trade him for all the guys above). I am unimpressed with his college numbers. They should have been significantly better playing with the incredible talent that he did. Roughly 15 teammates drafted to the NHL, most in the opening three rounds.

Fowler - I'm mortified with his plus/minus last year. Still wondering why he dropped so much in the draft. Could be a situation of too much too fast (MDZ). Awesome numbers. Excellent opportunity. Quality candidate for sophmore jinx.

Hedman - Developing nicely. On the path to being a hugely valuable NHL D-man. Not so sure what his points will ultimately look like, but I'm very optimistic.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Karlsson, Subban, and Shatty are locks for me. Last spot comes down to Carlson and Fowler. Given the choice I'd take Carlson.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    I've managed to grab Karlsson, EJ, Carlson, Fowler, Shattenkirk, Subban, and Hedman.
    Points Only:
    1. Karlsson
    2. EJ
    3. Subban
    4. Carlson

Fowler is a nice player but he's still #5 on the PP. Vis, Getzy, Perry, and Ryan are locks. If the PP needs a shake-up, Fowler will be the first guy swapped out.

Similar case with Shattenkirk. A nice season, but I think I like A.P. as the safer pick on the STL PP. Plus, the STL PP isn't exactly one of the most dynamic PP's in the league.

Hedman - just might not get the PP time.

With Mike Green being RFA next summer, there is still a small possibility that WAS moves Mike Green for some other type of pieces of make a Cup run. Carlson could be the PP-QB for WAS in the future... it is just too good of a risk to pass up.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    Got a tough keeper decision coming up in a bit regarding my young defensive core.

I've managed to grab Karlsson, EJ, Carlson, Fowler, Shattenkirk, Subban, and Hedman...and with Vokoun signing in Washington, will keep four of them.

Ran the thread in March, with fairly conclusive results, but at the time I was thinking of keeping five.

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...ad.php&t=99625

But with free-agency changes and signings, late season surges from Shattenkirk, etc, etc, I was looking for extra advice now that I'm keeping four.

Points-only pool, we start five D overall, and I'll be relatively competitive this coming season (young team) but should make a real push two, three years from now.
    I'd keep Fowler, Karlsson, EJ and Subban.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Initiate

I wouldn't choose...
    I would shop them in a 3 for 1 to whoever has an asset you love, and let them choose... really this list comes down to personal preference... all of these guys will be very good, and have the upside of being great. By letting the GM choose you're getting maximum value for the players he likes.
    "I mean technically, I could say that every defender's upside is 80 points and never 'lose my house.'"
    - lanky 522

Dobber Sports Padawan

With that talent, the other team's must be short on young stud's.

I would put all their pictures on a dart board, throw dart's, trade the ones you dont hit.

That or keep Karlsson, Subban, Fowler, Shattenkirk (my picks) and trade the others.

Hedman isn't in the conversation here with these guys and I like Fowler/Shattenkirk's opportunities better than Ej's/Carlson. Not by much, but i think they will put up more points.

I just couldn't bring my self to drop those 4. You must be able to get some value for EJ or Carlson.