Thread: [Three Keys to Fantasy Dominance]

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default [Three Keys to Fantasy Dominance]

No matter what type of fantasy pool you are in. No matter if you are preparing for the initial draft, and expansion draft, supplemental draft or mid season trades and roster adds/drops, these three key concepts will help guide you towards fantasy pool supremacy among your peers.

Identifying Talent
    Watching a lot of hockey is your best means of identifying talent. Sure it is much less time consuming to buy a new stand magazine like McKeens or the Forecaster (the two best by far) or get an on line ranking from a website like fantasyhockeycoach.com or dobberhockey.com and they will help. But seeing a player with your own eyes is the most reliable means of finding talent. Watching lots and lots of NHL hockey is the most important way to understand how a player will perform in the NHL. There have been countless players who dominated other leagues but failed to translate that success into NHL success. Watching players in the NHL allows you to see how well certain players compare against others in regards to different skill sets. such as; Skating ability, shooting, passing, and hitting. Get as much information that you can from online and print media to help you talent analysis, but watch the games yourself. Not a pro scout you say. Not sure what to look for? Perhaps this will help.

Scouting
    Gus Katsaros who scouts and writes for Mckeens once told me "when scouting a player look for the four S's. Skating, Speed, Skill, and Smarts. Players who posses all four are elite superstars like Sidney Crosby. A player who has three is a star like Jason Spezza. Players who demonstrate only two are valuable better than average players such as David Backes. If a player only has one, no matter how good he is at it, he is not likely to pan out to a top tier player. Therefore not worthy of you serious consideration. A good example of this is Rob Schremp. Schremp has lots and lots of talent but little else to go with it. Lets take a closer look at the four S's.

What to look for in terms of skating. Foot speed and agility or balance. There is a difference between quickness and speed. Don't be fooled by a player who is quick down low or in the corners to thinking he is fast. As for Agility, is he smooth skating backwards and laterally?

Smarts or hockey sense are if he makes good plays consistently. Or does he turn the puck over by making blind drop passes at the blue line (Jason Spezza). Does he get position on defenders, find open ice, create picks making room for team mates or just stand around waiting for something to happen. Is he leading the play or following it?

Skill is easier to notice. Goals and assists stats are a clear indication that players like Steven Stamkos have skill! But look for more subtle details. Can he make and receive hard smooth passes consistently? Does he take, and win key face-offs? Can he stick-handle and deek past defenders and on shoot outs? Can he handle the puck while skating at top speed?

Speed is perhaps the most obvious to notice. Does he have elite level speed that allows him to separate himself from or catch up to other players?

Opportunity
    Knowing a players talent level is important, but the opportunity he currently has to work with is a significant influence on his value. Tyler Seguin is supremely talented but a little buried on a deep Boston bruins depth chart for example. Look at the teams depth chart (thn.com) and understand what opportunities he will have. Top six forward or top four defender? Starting goalie or back up? Will he see any time on the power play? Is the team he plays on any good or will his plus/minus bring down his value? Is he an over priced declining veteran fighting off younger, more talented prospects?

Talent, scouting, and opportunity are three key factors you need to constantly be analyzing from your initial draft and on to be best prepared to make the most informed decisions in managing your fantasy roster. It is not easy. It is time consuming. It is also fun, but most of all, it works! And the reward of being champion at the end of the season is more rewarding than any prize money you will win. Good luck!
    Last edited by pharling; July 16, 2011 at 10:08 AM.

Dobber Sports Icon

Nice job Pharling.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Monster

Another Doozy.

The dobberites are firing off top notch material today!

Dobber Sports Giant

nice write up. rep to ya.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Novice

pharling...i think your account was hacked...the guy that wrote this article clearly understands the business of fantasy hockey......maybe you should take his advice

lol
    see you at the draft my friend...
    budsfan17
    D--Pts (3)
    All Skaters -- Hits (.15), BS (.1) PPG/SHG (1), SO GWG (5)
    Goal --G (10), A (3), GP (0.15) Saves (.01), W (4), SO (2), OTL (1)

10 Keepers
    Malkin, Stamkos, Neal, Spezza, Voracek, Yakupov
    Goligoski, Shattenkirk, Del Zotto,
    Rinne

+ Annual 15 player draft plus FA pickups

The Wolverine

Nice read Pharling - great job.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Good advice and a great read. Gives me more some rational justification for all the games I watch.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I don't watch hockey so the talent and scouting options are out for me. Is there anything I can do to compensate so that I too can enjoy fantasy hockey supremacy or is there no hope?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I don't watch hockey so the talent and scouting options are out for me. Is there anything I can do to compensate so that I too can enjoy fantasy hockey supremacy or is there no hope?
    I think you're hopeless my friend. But you seem to do alright anyway

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    That deffinitely makes it more challenging but i think there are options for you.

This is what i would do. Pay close attention to the daily statistics for your players. Instead of looking at the season up to date numbers to gauge players effectiveness, you measure it by identifying the statistical numbers that best resemble a players effectiveness. Other than the obvious ones, look at stats such as TOI, PPT, and EST. This will tell you the coaches trust in the player and can often times match the players confidence level. Especially when matched with offensive output.

Use tools such as the frozenpool to identify who they play with and perform the same statistical analysis enough to measure the success of your player against theirs when your player play with them.

Its important to also measure your own success using whatever process you decide. This will tell you if you need to tweak, alter or change your strategy.

Its not as fun as watching (unless your love for analyzing statistics is your true calling) but there are possibilites.
    UFHP - Y! 12 GMs - 23/8 pro/farm - keep 17 + all farm
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, FW; GS, W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backstrom, Crosby, Little, Zetterberg, Rask
    LW: Foligno, Ehlers, Skinner, Hartnell, Jokinen, Ladd
    RW: Tarasenko, Kessel, Nash, Marner
    D: Keith, Karlsson, Klingberg, Werenski, Barrie, Manson
    G: Price, Murray, Andersen

Farm:
    C: Keller
    LW: Fiala, Heinen
    RW: Gurianov
    D: Sergachev, Beaulieu, Manning, Borowiecki
    G: Forsberg, Driedger

Dobber Sports Initiate

And Great read pharling
    UFHP - Y! 12 GMs - 23/8 pro/farm - keep 17 + all farm
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, FW; GS, W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backstrom, Crosby, Little, Zetterberg, Rask
    LW: Foligno, Ehlers, Skinner, Hartnell, Jokinen, Ladd
    RW: Tarasenko, Kessel, Nash, Marner
    D: Keith, Karlsson, Klingberg, Werenski, Barrie, Manson
    G: Price, Murray, Andersen

Farm:
    C: Keller
    LW: Fiala, Heinen
    RW: Gurianov
    D: Sergachev, Beaulieu, Manning, Borowiecki
    G: Forsberg, Driedger