Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Islanders buyout Yashin\'s contract

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Islanders buyout Yashin\'s contract

The New York Islanders have decided to buyout the remaining four years of Alexei Yashin\'s contract, ending his six year stay with the NHL club.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID...8&hubname=

Why now?

How much of this works against their cap?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re:Islanders buyout Yashin\'s contract

This is from the TSN article:

\"Yashin had $26.45-million left to pay on a 10-year, $87.5-million contract he signed after the team acquired him from the Ottawa Senators in 2001. Under the terms of the NHL collective-bargaining agreement, the Islanders can pay two-thirds of that amount - approximately $17.63-million - over the next eight years to buy him out. The team will still count $2.2-million of Yashin\'s salary under their cap over that same time period.\"

My question is where does Yashin go from here. Dobber mentions Russia as a possibility. I think he\'s too entrenched in New York (isn\'t he still involved with that model Carol Alt?). I think he signs for a discount and stays in the New York area. If Nylander leaves the Rangers or Gomez leaves the Devils, he might be a cheap alternative for a team in need of a second line centre. I think it\'s unreasonable for him to be a first line centre on a contending team.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Master

he will probably see some offers of 1 year deals with a base salary + bonus to keep him motivated

this buyout has kinda shocked the islander fanbase who has be lead to believe that Yashin was not going to be bought out

interesting that the Smyth - islanders negotiations are apparently underway this week .

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

funny how OTTAWA is in the finals and Yashin gets bought out. I love it. Take that Yashin you suck! I think he should have to play a few seasons in Columbus now, here\'s your sentence.

Would ovech want Yashin centering him? \'From Russia with Love\'

especially if he signs for cheap..

Post edited by: Zorro, at: 2007/06/06 10:29
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Stud

Zorro wrote:
    Would ovech want Yashin centering him? \'From Russia with Love\' especially if he signs for cheap..
    Now that is a VERY interesting question. The same could be said of Kovalchuk in Atlanta.

If either the Caps or the Thrashers are unwilling/unable to sign a top UFA center, I think that either could make for an interesting fit for Yashin.

Post edited by: Thieving Giraffe, at: 2007/06/06 12:19
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Ace

as an isles fan this is the 3rd happiest day of my life[the top 2 are the birth of my boys]Ding Dong the sulking S.O.B. is gone!!!!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    God bless us,everyone of us!

Dobber Sports Stud

Later Yashin....
    12 Team H2H (Daily) - Keep 10 + 5(Farm)
    4C/3LW/3RW/4D/3G/4Bench/3IR
    G A Pts +/- STP GWG SOG/ W Sv% GAA SHO
    Centers:
    A. Barkov (IR), C. McDavid, J. Carter, Y. Gourde(LW), N. Paul(LW), C. Stephenson
    LWs:
    F. Forsberg, J. Guentzel, A. Duclair(RW), E. Haula(C), A. Killorn
    RWs:
    N. Ehlers(LW), V. Tarasenko, F. Gaudreau(C), V. Podkolzin
    D:
    T. Chabot, C. Makar, M. Dumba, OEL, N. Schmidt
    G:
    S. Bobrovky, T. Demko, J. Gibson(IR), A. Stolarz(IR)
    Farm:
    J. Annunen, A. Kaliyev, A. Lundell, F. Lysell, M. Rossi

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The Comish wrote:
    This is from the TSN article:

My question is where does Yashin go from here. Dobber mentions Russia as a possibility. I think he\'s too entrenched in New York (isn\'t he still involved with that model Carol Alt?). I think he signs for a discount and stays in the New York area. If Nylander leaves the Rangers or Gomez leaves the Devils, he might be a cheap alternative for a team in need of a second line centre. I think it\'s unreasonable for him to be a first line centre on a contending team.
    I can\'t see the Devils hiring Yashin. They\'ve been burned with Mogilny and I sure hope they won\'t be making the same mistake again. I don\'t know about the Rangers though; Glen Sather does have the habit to hire players based on their past performance rather then on their future potential.

Even at a salary between two and three millions, I\'m not sure who would take the risk to sign Yashin. The salary cap is producing its effects and most teams cannot risk hiring an unreliable free agent. I see him ending up with a team that has very little chance at making the playoffs next season, like St. Louis or Columbus (imagine Yashin and Zherdev on the same underachieving line...). Taking a risk for these teams would make more sense.

Post edited by: Akkei, at: 2007/06/06 13:42
    STL – Single Team League
    1-team league – Head-to-? – Single Category: TOI
    F: Radulov, Stahal, Gaborik
    D: Gilbert, Brule
    G: Brodeur, Kinkaid
    Utility: Semin
    Farm: Tsujimoto

2011-12 and 2013-14 Champion! (I was disqualified in 2012-13 by the commish. Reason given: tanking)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

One thing I have not heard yet is whether or not the value of other returning Isles (i.e. let\'s set Smyth and Blake aside for now) will go up or down. For instance, is the value of MAB now higher or lower in light of today\'s news?

Dobber Sports Stud

About the same, I think. With or without Yashin, it\'s been no secret that the Isles need to be quite active this off-season to have any success next year.

Personally, I\'m keeping one ear open for a long-long-long-term offer to be made to Ryan Smyth. My gut tells me that there might be more to this story than just Yashin\'s continuing underperformance.
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

you won\'t have to worry about Zherdev and Yashin both playing in COLUMBUS because Zherdev will be traded. A draft day deal will land him somewhere better.. I hope to trade for him before then though. I really want him in my keeper league. I think he could be had for something cheap.
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I hope he signs with contender and has a brilliant season to shut you all up, and more importantly, to hurt Islanders.

Zorro, grow up, you racist pig

Dobber Sports Icon

Vist Wrote:
    Zorro, grow up, you racist pig
    I\'m not really sure what Z did/wrote to incite such a reaction from you... but that\'s kind of uncalled for... It\'s one thing to disagree with someone else\'s opinion (lord knows me and zorro have knocked heads a couple of times on issues), but to attack someone and call them a racist for (as far as I can tell) no good reason is kind of silly isn\'t it...? What did Z write that was so bad?

Anyways... Yashin will not have a blowout year next year because 1) he won\'t be making as much money and he\'ll be depressed, 2) whatever team takes a chance for him, won\'t put him in an important position (he\'ll likely be a support guy wherever he ends up).

I don\'t see more than 65 points out of him next year (unless he does indeed become the center for ovechkin or kovalchuk).

Post edited by: lanky522, at: 2007/06/06 17:47
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Yashin is right up there with Bertuzzi.If I\'m a GM I\'m hoping that my rival GM\'s signs either of them.
    Just trash the both of them.
    Yahoo Keeper Team - STD Cats
    C- Thornton, Backstrom, Kesler, Turris, Savard
    L- Vanek, Burrows, Hartnell, Lucic , Leino
    R- Brown, Pavelski, Ericksson, Holmstrom, Little
    D- Chara, Rafalski, Weber, Edler, Letang, Bieksa,
    G- H. Lundqvist, Miller, Rinne,

Prospects- Bowmman CAR, Glennie DAL, LeBlanc MTL, Ferraro DET, Tangradi PIT, Yip COL, Kuznetsov WAS, Neuvirth WAS

League Champion 07, 08, 09,

Dobber Sports Expert

what the hell is this racism thing from mister 1 post?