Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Keep on Waiting - Jamie McBain

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPuckCanuck View Post
    Just to be clear here Bomm, I was saying keep on waiting on being the go to guy on D. He won't QB the PP with Kaberle and Pitkanen there IMO. Its not that he has no value, I wouldn't have him as a keeper necessarily, but would draft him if he was available at the appropriate time. I value him at about 37-40 pts.

Also, it was more of a post for discussion than a question. Just to see what people thought.
    You could very well be correct on the PP QB point, although I was never that high on Pitkanen. I traded him, but I also wouldn't have minded sitting on him for one more year. I think the end of year-two will be more telling than the end of year-one.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think there's a middling chance we could see him taking a heavier workload in minutes and PP time than Pitkanen...after mid-season or so.

Basing my thought process mainly on the fact that : /Carolina has never been a team to hold back the young'uns.../the aforementioned right handed shot being a boon on the PP, if Kaberle is remotely up to snuff.../ and that although Pitkanen may get some 3-yr veteran loyalty, his upside pales in comparison to McBain.

All the same, I'm glad that I shouldn't be needing to haul him up from my farm until 2012-13 at the earliest !

<edit> Off topic, but just a general question...does anyone else find Bomm's happy little walking dude avatar mildly hypnotic ?? I suspect government mind-control...but I'm not Crazy !!! =D
    Last edited by Shenanigans; July 25, 2011 at 9:51 AM. Reason: Afterthought

Just to add...

My personal philosophy...and this really only applies to dynasty leagues (12+ GMs or 10+ GMs w/farm)...if a player has the talent you hang onto him no matter what the depth chart on said player's respective team is telling you. Opportunities always present themselves year-in and year-out, and players of McBain's caliber will more likely than not take advantage of them.

McBain's play of last year didn't change our view of him, the players in fron of him have through no fault of his own. If I had the room, I'd buy low, and not until I saw fault in his play, or a trade to good to pass on would I consider moving him.

In my big $$ league d-men get x2 for goals and assists, so I moved him for Toews cuz my high end forwards were somewhat thin, and my D were my strength. I had Toews or Getzlaf in my sites, if neither panned out I would have hung onto him.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Just to add...

My personal philosophy...and this really only applies to dynasty leagues (12+ GMs or 10+ GMs w/farm)...if a player has the talent you hang onto him no matter what the depth chart on said player's respective team is telling you.
    I couldn't agree more. Talented players produce, people recognize a player like let's say Blake Geoffrion who had all but 24 shots (in 20 GP) last season and managed 6 goals. Thats a 25% shooting average. He was given no more than 10 minutes TOI in only three of those 20 games, but I can guarentee that his talent will earn him more and more opportunities for next season. He's a favorite of mine for a breakout season.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothfun View Post
    You know a 35-40+ d-man is not a bad thing!
    He's a keeper depending on your options and
    the depth of your team.
    My point to Mcbain above was the he was not necessarily a keeper. He's a viable option, but I have Rundblad, Gudbrandson and Orlov in my system for prospects and plan on keeping them over Mcbain as my pro-roster boasts Chara, Seabrook and Yandle. So in my case, Mcbain is not a keeper. Just to be clear, he makes a strong case for keeper status, in mine though, I will pass.
    GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    RW: Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Cole, Shane Doan, Jackob Silfverberg
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Dobber Sports Icon

My point to Mcbain above was the he was not necessarily a keeper. He's a viable option, but I have Rundblad, Gudbrandson and Orlov in my system for prospects and plan on keeping them over Mcbain as my pro-roster boasts Chara, Seabrook and Yandle. So in my case, Mcbain is not a keeper. Just to be clear, he makes a strong case for keeper status, in mine though, I will pass.

Could be wrong, but wouldn't you want to keep McBain over Orlov or maybe even Seabrook?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Apprentice

ross, I realize I didn't post what the stats were for this, so it would have been hard for you and others to see why I would say this.

The stats in the pool are as follows G,A,Pts,PPP,SHP,Hits,Blks,Shots,PIMs,+/-. Given these stats, Seabrook is the 26th best option overall (as per hockeypoolgeek and Shoeless). He's an extremely valuable Dman in this league.

Furthermore, McBain will be have to be slated on my pro-roster as he has now lost Calder eligibility, so I would not drop Orlov. I also have high hopes for Orlov and think that he can meet similar numbers to McBain, but is clearly a few years away from that.
    GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    RW: Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Cole, Shane Doan, Jackob Silfverberg
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Dobber Sports Icon

ross, I realize I didn't post what the stats were for this, so it would have been hard for you and others to see why I would say this.

The stats in the pool are as follows G,A,Pts,PPP,SHP,Hits,Blks,Shots,PIMs,+/-. Given these stats, Seabrook is the 26th best option overall (as per hockeypoolgeek and Shoeless). He's an extremely valuable Dman in this league.

Furthermore, McBain will be have to be slated on my pro-roster as he has now lost Calder eligibility, so I would not drop Orlov. I also have high hopes for Orlov and think that he can meet similar numbers to McBain, but is clearly a few years away from that.

I see, yes with those categories guys like Seabrook have huge value.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper