Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keep on Waiting - Jamie McBain

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Keep on Waiting - Jamie McBain

So the Carolina Hurricanes just signed Tomas Kaberle to a 3-yr deal.

A week ago they resigned Joni Pitkanen.

And let's not rule pout Joe Corvo's stint on the PP and offensive end for the Canes last year.

Where does this leave McBain? I thought the Canes were going to let Pitkanen walk, bring in someone who could move the puck, but no one big (which I use loosely around Kaberle) and let McBain work QB on the PP with Corvo.

What are your thoughts on his fantasy value for next year? Now his ice time is cut and his opportunities as well... IMO he is still the "future" Dman on that team (along with Murphy), but this may set him back more than any other.
    Last edited by TwoPuckCanuck; July 5, 2011 at 4:34 PM.
    GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    RW: Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Cole, Shane Doan, Jackob Silfverberg
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPuckCanuck View Post
    So the Carolina Hurricanes just signed Tomas Kaberle to a 3-yr deal.

A week ago they resigned Joni Pitkanen.

And let's not rule pout Joe Corvo's stint on the PP and offensive end for the Canes last year.

Where does this leave McBain? I thought the Canes were going to let Pitkanen walk, bring in someone who could move the puck, but no one big (which I use loosely around Kaberle) and let McBain work QB on the PP with Corvo.

What are your thoughts on his fantasy value for next year? Now his ice time is cut and his opportunities as well... IMO he is still the "future" Dman on that team (along with Murphy), but this may set him back more than any other.
    I think Corvo being dealt with the Bruins opens up more time for McBain and as Angus mentioned McBain is the only right-handed shot on that D.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Dobber Sports Superstar

http://twitter.com/#!/angus_j/status/88344435221463040
    In: Kaberle. Out: Corvo. Benefactor? Jamie McBain. Why? Shoots right, both Kaberle and Pitkanen shoot left.

Dobber Sports Ace

I think the staunchest McBain fans will say it helps him...lefty shots vs righty shots, mentor type, etc, etc.

Count me in the group that says the Canes cannot afford to miss the playoffs again, so they'll be riding Kaberle, Pitkanen, etc, really hard on the PP.

McBain might work his way into that top group, but I'm not betting on it this coming year. He's gonna be good, but IMO these moves delay the arrival.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah saw that Corvo signing! That gives Mcbain some more opportunities for sure.

The left hand/right hand thing is a valid point (as are most of angus'!), but I think the Canes may be in the mind sight of "Well, if McBain works out, good, but let's really bank on Murphy!"
    GMHL Dynasty
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    I think the staunchest McBain fans will say it helps him...lefty shots vs righty shots, mentor type, etc, etc.

Count me in the group that says the Canes cannot afford to miss the playoffs again, so they'll be riding Kaberle, Pitkanen, etc, really hard on the PP.

McBain might work his way into that top group, but I'm not betting on it this coming year. He's gonna be good, but IMO these moves delay the arrival.

Have to agree with this, I cannot imagine they signed a 33-year old offensive Dman to a 3-year deal to have him sit on the bench during the man-advantage. More likely is a rotation with those 3 but I imagine they might have McBain develop more as a rugged 2-way guy with a nice scoring touch, kind of like the Pens did with Letang in his early years, will make McBain that much more valuable once Kaberle and Pitkanen are gone in 3 years. Plus McBain can learn from watching guys like Kaberle patrol the point on the PP.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Genius

Best way to learn is to go out and do...he can't learn anything from those two playing behind them when he is superior to either. Furthermore he isn't a raw puck mover like Kaberle he has a quality shot from the blueline and can come drop down to score goals. Same style of play as Pietrangelo. Such a dumb move keeping your future on the blueline to rot for Pitkanen and Kaberle when you have no chance at a cup anytime soon. Terrible signing for McBain doesn't matter Left vs. Right shot if Kaberle is not a shooter (which he isn't) as he is no threat in that regard either way, nor utlized for that.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by MT319 View Post
    Best way to learn is to go out and do...he can't learn anything from those two playing behind them when he is superior to either. Furthermore he isn't a raw puck mover like Kaberle he has a quality shot from the blueline and can come drop down to score goals. Same style of play as Pietrangelo. Such a dumb move keeping your future on the blueline to rot for Pitkanen and Kaberle when you have no chance at a cup anytime soon. Terrible signing for McBain doesn't matter Left vs. Right shot if Kaberle is not a shooter (which he isn't) as he is no threat in that regard either way, nor utlized for that.

I don't think he's going to play behind them necessarily, I think he'll still get decent PP time, probably upwards of 3 minutes a game, enough to learn and showcase his talents.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

pitkanen is a band aid boy so mcbain will get some top pp time as a result of his injuries. mcbain is too good to keep down and will be a stellar d man at some point but this does slow down his progress a bit. patience!

Dude...keep on waiting??? What all one year?

McBain is fine, and will be a stud. You have to be a little patient. Not sure what your asking, given your league set up. Are you worried about keeping him? Drafting him....trading for him??

Big difference....
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Legend

Yeah, owning McBain is starting to be a tad frustrating to be honest. This time last year he was the most hyped player in all of fantasy perhaps and I grabbed him with a 1st rounder - expecting big things, followed by an increased role.

But the Canes keep adding offensive defensemen like they're going out of style - Pitkanen, Kaberle, Faulk, Murphy, etc. I hope I'm wrong but McBain has a chance to get lost in the shuffle here - and the best thing for his owners may be a trade down the line.

Kaberle and Pitkanen are the current main options (on the top PP unit) and Murphy and Faulk are fantastic up-and-coming players who can be high-end offensive guys and PP QBs. I have this feeling that McBain is going to be sandwiched in the middle somewhere.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Pro

You better hope McBain gets or traded or otherwise any owner should look at moving him. He's going to be stuck around 30-40 pt range for a while.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Dude...keep on waiting??? What all one year?

McBain is fine, and will be a stud. You have to be a little patient. Not sure what your asking, given your league set up. Are you worried about keeping him? Drafting him....trading for him??

Big difference....
    Just to be clear here Bomm, I was saying keep on waiting on being the go to guy on D. He won't QB the PP with Kaberle and Pitkanen there IMO. Its not that he has no value, I wouldn't have him as a keeper necessarily, but would draft him if he was available at the appropriate time. I value him at about 37-40 pts.

Also, it was more of a post for discussion than a question. Just to see what people thought.
    GMHL Dynasty
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Apprentice

It doesn't look good for Ryan Murphy for the future. We knew it was going to be a while before we see him but now it's a minimun 3 years...talk about a log jam!

Dobber Sports Genius

You know a 35-40+ d-man is not a bad thing!
    He's a keeper depending on your options and
    the depth of your team.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack