Thread: Who do I keep/dump/trade?

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Who do I keep/dump/trade?

My pool point system is in my sig. This off-season I have 11 keeper spots and 2 prospect slots. [There are 9 teams in my league] My obvious keepers so far...

Forwards...Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom,
    Defense...Letang, Byfuglien, JJ, [Prospects...Carlson, OEL]
    Goalies...Fleury, Rask

That leaves 3 spots for the following 4 players...Kesler, Kronwall, Chara, Thomas

I can't keep Rask as a prospect and don't want to lose a decades worth of great fantasy points so I plan to hang onto him even if he is two years away from a starting gig. I've traded away several early round picks in the coming draft so re-snagging a quality G will be almost impossible and trading for one isn't easier.

This is the dilemma of limited keeper leagues. Off-season fire sales for well below market value. Which 3 do I keep? Which one do I try to trade?
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Genius

obviously let go of Kronwall...not too difficult a decision

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by MT319 View Post
    obviously let go of Kronwall...not too difficult a decision
    Yeah, pretty much. I can't imagine what Kronwall can offer that would cause me to keep him over Kesler, Chara, or Thomas. As you said G will be difficult to fill, so going into next season with Fleury + Boston tandem = key.

Even with the extra point for D goals, Kronwall isn't any more valuable than the other 3 guys.

Although, just out of curiosity how many players at each position do you ice per night?

Edit: Sorry never mind, just caught that part of your sig...only keeping 3 skaters when you have top 12 count seems a bit risky to me especially considering that you don't have very many early round picks.
    Last edited by bondon; July 5, 2011 at 2:14 PM.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Although, just out of curiosity how many players at each position do you ice per night?
    Somewhere in my sig it says...top 12 F, 6 D, and 2 G count at the end of the year. We don't have daily or weekly changes. What this means is that injured players or G tandems kill you from a fantasy perspective. For example, if Crosby is hurt and only posts 65 points then he probably counts as my 8th best F at 65...PERIOD. If a G only plays 40 games and posts points in the 50-55 range instead of in the 65-70 range you were hoping for...THAT'S IT!

So the tandem in BOS is only helpful if, a) one G emerges as the legitimate #1 starter and plays 55+ games, or b) one G plays at least 50 games and team continues to ensure that the G has less than 15 losses...keeping the subtraction totals low.
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by andrewklassen View Post
    Somewhere in my sig it says...top 12 F, 6 D, and 2 G count at the end of the year. We don't have daily or weekly changes. What this means is that injured players or G tandems kill you from a fantasy perspective. For example, if Crosby is hurt and only posts 65 points then he probably counts as my 8th best F at 65...PERIOD. If a G only plays 40 games and posts points in the 50-55 range instead of in the 65-70 range you were hoping for...THAT'S IT!

So the tandem in BOS is only helpful if, a) one G emerges as the legitimate #1 starter and plays 55+ games, or b) one G plays at least 50 games and team continues to ensure that the G has less than 15 losses...keeping the subtraction totals low.
    Ah interesting... not familiar with the setup so I never thought about it that way. So that essentially means that Rask will likely end up being a complete non-factor and an investment for the future I suppose, barring an injury to Fleury or Thomas.

I don't think Rask will get enough starts to make himself anywhere near the production of Thomas, who I would expect to get around 30-35 wins in 50-55 starts.

I still think Thomas is good for 80-90 points given your point system for next year. Maybe 70-80 at the very lowest

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    I don't think Rask will get enough starts to make himself anywhere near the production of Thomas, who I would expect to get around 30-35 wins in 50-55 starts.

I still think Thomas is good for 80-90 points given your point system for next year. Maybe 70-80 at the very lowest
    Now you've got it. Rask is an investment for the next decade, but in the mean time just takes up space on my roster. If Thomas is good for even 75 points I pretty much have to punt one of my many D which at least I have an outside chance at re-drafting comparable points for...re-drafting G points is highly unlikely.

Thanks.

Forwards
    Defense
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask