Thread: Giroux vs Doughty vs Thomas

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Giroux vs Doughty vs Thomas

I have a fairly heavy bias towards the Ducks in my possession... Which is why the title doesn't read Giroux vs Doughty vs Thomas vs Hiller (due to uncertain vertigo situation). Help my pick 5 vets on this list.

Veteran Keeper candidates (Keep 5):
    Ryan Getzlaf
    Corey Perry
    Jonas Hiller
    Drew Doughty
    Claude Giroux
    Tim Thomas

Other relevant information regarding this team/league...

Rookie Keepers (Keep 5):
    Tuuka Rask
    Cam Fowler
    Logan Couture
    Jamie McBain
    Jonas Gustavsson

Catagories:
    Goals (G), Assists (A), Plus/Minus (+/-), Penalty Minutes (PIM), Powerplay Points (PPP), Game-Winning Goals (GWG), Shots on Goal (SOG)
    Wins (W), Goals Against Average (GAA), Save Percentage (SV%), Shutouts (SHO)

Positions:
    C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, Util, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR

Dobber Sports Expert

Off the top of my head I would drop Hiller from your vets list and Gustavsson from your rookie list. You still hold the BOS tandem and can redraft a 3rd G.

Assuming from your thread that dropping Hiller isn't an option b/c of your ANA bias I think you have to choose between Giroux and Thomas as Doughty is way to valuable at D to punt back into a draft.

What's easier to re-draft, a C or a G? If you see yourself contending I think you hold onto Thomas as C are usually easier to scrounge in a draft. Personally, I think dropping Hiller saves you this awkward decision.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Dropping Hiller seems to be the only valid and logical player to drop, even considering your bias.

Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf I don't have to convince you to keep.

Tim Thomas was the Vezina, Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup winning goaltender this past season. There is no way you can drop him. Even if you're not crazy about him, his trade value is just astronomical.

Giroux is what the Flyers believe is the new face of their franchise after clearing out Carter and Richards. Look for his numbers to improve as his responsibilities to the team have as well. His +/- should go up as well with the signing of Bryzgalov.

Doughty is an elite defensive option with huge upside on an up and coming team. There are few options as strong as him.

Hiller played 49 games last season and only 14 in 2011. He would be the easiest to re-draft and although he is a great goaltender, is his future clear considering health issues and uncertainty?

I would drop Hiller. No questions about it.
    GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    RW: Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Cole, Shane Doan, Jackob Silfverberg
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Simple: Hiller = gone.

Quote Originally Posted by szuturon View Post
    I have a fairly heavy bias towards the Ducks in my possession... Which is why the title doesn't read Giroux vs Doughty vs Thomas vs Hiller (due to uncertain vertigo situation). Help my pick 5 vets on this list.

Veteran Keeper candidates (Keep 5):
    Ryan Getzlaf
    Corey Perry
    Jonas Hiller
    Drew Doughty
    Claude Giroux
    Tim Thomas

Other relevant information regarding this team/league...

Rookie Keepers (Keep 5):
    Tuuka Rask
    Cam Fowler
    Logan Couture
    Jamie McBain
    Jonas Gustavsson
    I think you have to hold Rask in a keeper league. He's going to be a sick franchise goalie within 2 years. Thomas only has 2 more years on contract with the Bruins and, at his age, I think he'll be moved before it runs out.

Also, Giroux is a great 2nd centerman behind Getzlaf with sweet peripherals last year (47 PIM & +20 last year). With the recent revamp to the Flyers' roster, he's the new #1C, so I would expect a big leap in his stats across the board.

You should move Couture if it's at all possible. Being a natural C, he's more likely to center the 3rd line and concede the 2nd line RW to Setoguchi, a natural RW. After his impressive rookie campaign, I think some people will over-value him.

All told, I would keep Getzlaf, Perry, Giroux, Thomas, Rask.
    The League:
    11-teams, pts-only, no positional restrictions, top 12/20 count.
    1 in-season UFA (24+y/o), 3 round entry draft.
    Unlimited (24+y/o) off-season UFAs after the entry draft.

The Show:
    Crosby, Malkin, Kopitar, Eberle, Couture, Krejci, Subban, Simmonds, Hedman, Jokinen, Kesler, Barrie, Johansson

The Farm:
    MacKinnon, Toffoli, Bjugstad, Spooner, Zucker, Bjorkstrand, Jaskin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I would drop Hiller as well. Given the questions surrounding him I don't think he would be worth keeping. Plus those questions may lead him to drop in the draft, so you could always try to select him there if you wanted him back.
    16 Team 4th Year H2H Yahoo! Keeper League, 2012 Champion
    Keep 8 (Max 1 Goalie) + 2* (23 and under)
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG,FW,HIT,BLK,W,GAA,SV,SV%
    2LW,3C,2RW,3D,1U,2G,8BN,3IR
    LW Landeskog*, C Tavares*,Getzlaf, RW Ovechkin,Malkin(C),Seguin*(C),D Subban,G Lundqvist, Lehner*
    Draft - 1st,2 2nds, 2 3rds.

Dobber Sports Veteran

To me it's completely Hiller right now.... that Vertigo (concussion) is scary stuff.

I get vertigo at about the 4th floor.... if someone has that just walking, craaaapppp.