Thread: Which D-Man is this year's "Jamie McBain"?

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Which D-Man is this year's "Jamie McBain"?

What I mean by that is: Which defenseman will receive so much hype going into fantasy drafts and accomplish very little compared to expectations? My three candidates, ranked:

1.) Stefan Elliott

2.) David Rundblad

3.) Dmitri Orlov

The Elliott and Rundblad hype has been off the charts - almost identical to the McBain hype this time last year.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Veteran

Good thread. I remember last summer all the Carlsson vs. Karlsson vs. Subban vs. Shattenkirk vs. McBain debates. One year later you can only say that McBain failed big time. Otherwise the fantasy hype was justified (which usually doesn't happen).

I am not convinced that Orlov will get much of a chance to make the team so he is my choice to bomb out big for this coming year. However, I think there is a good chance all three spend most of the year in the AHL.

Dobber Sports Pro

I don't think any of the 3 will have any real fantasy significance next season. I also would take McBain over any one of them, 10 times out of 10. Granted he did not produce last year, but he is the man on D in Carolina and will be a great PP QB
    Last edited by rtstr; June 10, 2011 at 5:07 PM.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Don't see any of them making a huge immediate impact. Rundblad has the best chance though IMO.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think rundblad will come in and get 20-30pts, Sens are very high on him and he has played with men and came out on top. (that sounds oddly Blue Oyster)

Orlov in A. all year unless green or carlson get injured.

Elliot little points in half an NHL season.

Dobber Sports Stud

Maybe I'm not on here enough lately but I didn't know the hype machine was running overtime on any of those 3. There's no room on the Caps blue line for Orlov, Elliott can expect an introduction to the league similar to Shattenkirk last season, and while Rundblad maybe ready, Karlsson, Gonchar, Phillips, Carkner, Kuba are firmly entrenched in the Sens top-6. However, if he shows some defensive responsibility, I could see him stealing a lot of Karlsson's even strength icetime.
    20 Team Pool Points Keeper
    G =1,A=1,PPG=1,PPA=0.5, SHG=1,GWG=1,PIM=0.1,+/-=0.25
    Goalie cats (W=2, SO=3, SV=0.05)

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes
    D: Green, Schultz, Faulk, Goligoski
    G: Crawford

Dobber Sports Genius

I thought McBain did all right. I drafted him last year, and if memory serves, he had 43 AHL points two years ago. Then a wicked start to his NHL career. 43 AHL points doesn't usually compute to 50 NHL points, so I hoped for 30. He nailed it! I was happy!

Temper your expectations with young D-men. Hope for 30 with the highest of the high class. Anything more is a bonus.

Elliott - should be AHL bound.
    Orlov - 40 NHL games, 40 AHL games unless cap forces the Caps to roster him
    Rundblad - Wicked scoring totals in the SEL. No wonder some poolies think he's to die for. Currently my jury is still deciding.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by slufoot View Post
    Rundblad maybe ready, Karlsson, Gonchar, Phillips, Carkner, Kuba are firmly entrenched in the Sens top-6. However, if he shows some defensive responsibility, I could see him stealing a lot of Karlsson's even strength icetime.
    You will see kuba or gonchar moved if they can. There is no chance of Karlsson's ice time being lowered. He played in all situations down the stretch and the sens played well. Sens mgmt loves Rundblad and he will be on the team come the fall...no doubt. Won't score 50pts like some think but will get most of the 3 here.

The only thing Kuba was firmly entrenched in was the doghouse.

Dobber Sports Stud

Gonchar is immovable. Karlsson may have played in all situations, but you have to admit he is an adventure defensively out there. If Rundblad has his offensive instincts and can play defense, I'm saying he could steal some ice time.
    20 Team Pool Points Keeper
    G =1,A=1,PPG=1,PPA=0.5, SHG=1,GWG=1,PIM=0.1,+/-=0.25
    Goalie cats (W=2, SO=3, SV=0.05)

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes
    D: Green, Schultz, Faulk, Goligoski
    G: Crawford

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Agreed Karlsson can be an adventure at times, but much like teammate Spezza - its because he tries things that he makes something out of nothing while also making you pull out your hair when it goes awry.
    Last edited by slow triathlete; June 10, 2011 at 10:29 PM.

Dobber Sports Stud

I wonder if the Sens have the cajones to start Karlsson, Rundblad and Cowen this year. Assuming they don't, one of Rundblad and Cowen will start in the AHL.

Would be very surprised to see Orlov play more than 10 games this season.

Elliott has a good chance to make the team and play the whole season. But he could easily disappoint in camp and end up in the AHL.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If Cowen makes the team then Carkner is out. He is a sub par skater and is there for the physical battles. Cowen would offer the same but faster and without the fisticuffs.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

That's a tough question.

How about Marc-Andre Gragnani? The hype around him isn't as much as it was for McBain last year, but he's still getting a lot of it after his amazing AHL season and his stellar NHL playoff performance (points-wise) this year. Poolies will have high expectations for him and draft him pretty high as a result, but I could see him putting up a very McBain-like season of mediocrity (points-wise, of course) this upcoming season.