Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Coverage 2011 NHL MOCK DRAFT Selection Thread

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

interesting to see Christopher picked before John. It will surely be something to watch for come draft day.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Yea that was a shocker.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

shall we wait on MD or just make a pick for him?

Banned

So did we just abandon this or what

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

no one responded to my.

shall we wait on MD or just make a pick for him?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I am going to select for the NYI,

The New York Islanders are proud to select with the 34th pick of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft goaltender John Gibson from the US Under-18 team.

Profile: (from nhl.com)

• Gibson has committed to the University of Michigan for the fall of 2011.

• He won gold for Team USA at the 2011 Under-18 World Championships in Germany. He backstopped the U.S. to back-to-back overtime wins in the semifinal against Canada and the final against Sweden. Gibson was named the Best Goaltender of the tournament for his 2.34 goals-against average and .926 save percentage.

• He finished the USHL regular season with a 9-4-3 record in 17 games.

• A Pittsburgh Hornet alum, he is one of four former Hornets to be ranked by Central Scouting for this year’s draft -- forwards Brandon Saad (No. 19 ranked) and Jonathan Miller (No. 23 ranked) as well as goaltender Michael Houser (No. 19 ranked goaltender).

• He won gold at the 2010 World Under-17 Challenge, stealing the show in the gold medal game, stopping 38 of 39 shots with the only Ontario goal coming with one second left. Gibson was named player of the game in two of his three starts and finished the tournament with a 1.33 goals-against average and a 0.957 save percentage.

Scouting Report:
    NHL Central Scouting’s Al Jensen
    "John has great net coverage and size (6-foot-3, 200 pounds), and is very strong. He's sound technically, moves very well laterally and is controlled. He's calm, not busy."

U.S. Under-18 goalie coach Joe Exter
    “He has size and presence in the net, and moves with power. The best part is he's not just a limited goaltender for being a big guy. He's multi-dimensional. He has power, athleticism, and he's got good flexibility. And those parts of his game allow him to have success at the high level. He also has a calm demeanor in the net.”

New York Islanders' Rationale:
    John Gibson enters the draft as the top rated goaltender and with DiPietro playing less than 10 games per year and no gauranteed starting goaltender of the future, Gibson provides depth at the netminder position.

The Great One

Gibson reminds me a bit of a (hopefully) healthy Dipietro. Good pick for the Islanders. One I really think they might actually make in the second round.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Banned

With the 35th pick in the draft, the Ottawa Senaotrs select D Scott Mayfield of Youngstown Phantoms of the USHL.

Player Profile

Name: Scott Mayfield
    Position: Defence
    Date of Birth: October 14, 1992
    Birthplace: St. Louis, MO
    Height: 6'3.5"
    Weight: 204 lbs

2010-2011 Stats: 52 GP, 7G, 9A, 16P, 159 PIM

Rationale

Mayfield is the current "Best Player Available" on our list. The Ottawa Senators don't draft for need. Adding a player like Mayfield, who is one of the most promising d-men in this class, and who is projected to go in the first round by a lot of scouts, would just add to the great pool of d-men we ave in our system.

Mayfield is the complete package. He has a serious edge and loves to throw around his body. He is still growing, so he will be even taller and bigger once he makes it to the pros. He is a great skater for his size and has great vision on the ice. He has a huge shot from the point and like to play in both ends of the ice, often joining the rush and creating offense. His stats may appear small but his offensive potential is fairly large if he develops the right way. He may not pan out, be we can afford to take the risk. He can legitimately become a blue-chip Top 2 d-man, or a solid two-way Top 4 d-man. We are very pleased to draft Scott with our first 2nd round pick.

Compares to: Erik Johnson, Chris Pronger
    Last edited by Big Ev; June 16, 2011 at 9:46 PM.

Administrator

Nevermind, just saw I had been picked for.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Banned

Who were you gonna pick MD?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Sorry metaldude. I didn't know if you would be around tonight.

The Islanders have another second round pick (50th)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Who were you gonna pick MD?
    Definitely not a goalie. As much as the Isles could use one I see them stockpiling talent instead. They'll buy a goalie when they are ready to compete or will use one of their ones already on the farm. Talent in the system keeps you constantly competitive. A goalie you can win with is always available if you can afford to move talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Sorry metaldude. I didn't know if you would be around tonight.

The Islanders have another second round pick (50th)
    Yeah it's not a big deal. I'd love to have gotten the 10 hour window others got but I would have done the same thing in your position. I'll try to make that second pick but if the timing doesn't work out then do it for me and don't wait. I work between the hours of 11 am and 8 PM Eastern, so if I haven't sent a PM then just make the pick for me and not hold things up.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Feel free to change the pick metaldude.

I have no issues with it and would rather you pick the guy you wanted (assuming it wasn't Mayfield)

Administrator

Naah, we can just stick to that pick. There's a chance my guy falls as he was a bit of a reach anyway. Plus you backed up your reasoning which is all anyone can ask for since I doubt Wang or Snow will be able to do the same.

Dobber Sports Monster

With the 36th pick in the draft the Chicago Blackhawks are proud to select from the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the OHL defenseman Ryan Sproul.

Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)
    6-4, 185 lbs
    61 GP - 14 G - 19 A - 33 P - 36 PIM

Truth be told we were after a goalie here, He wanted either John Gibson or Christopher Gibson but we missed both, but truthfully we are just as thrilled to get us a quality defenseman here. It's a need area for us.