Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should Canada be proud of the Canucks

Dobber Sports Ace

Clearly the post of an Ontario hockey fan.

Doesn't really matter if fans in Ontario are cheering for the Canucks, Vancouver is. There has been no shortage of questionable plays throughout the playoffs, both this series and every series.

A suspendable hit is not new, nor does it reflect the 'class' of an entire team. When Mike Richards hit Boston's own David Krejci in a similar play, the press lauded it as the turning point in a great comeback. Horton was clearly admiring his pass, and clearly turned (without looking) to the right, directly into the check. Not saying the hit wasn't late, which it was, but the outcome was a combination of the two. But to say that this reflects poorly on the organization is silly, there was no intent to injure in this play, just the intent to lay down another big hit in a game full of big hits. Suspension accepted for the lateness, but to insinuate that Vancouver is an intentionally nasty team on this basis is silly, as this sort of thing happens all too often in hockey.

As for Burrows, sure, it was idiotic, but s/*t, keep your stinky gloves out of my mouth.

You have written with bias, and evidently I reply with my own bias, but please don't pretend that there is a moral high-ground here. You're likely just disappointed that the Leafs haven't been to the Final since before Vancouver existed.

No offense meant with this reply, just an opinion from the other side.
    20-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 3D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 2 on farm

F: Kucherov, Scheifele, Eichel, Tarasenko, Rakell, Schwartz, Dadonov
    D: Doughty, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Keith
    G: Hellebuyck
    Farm: Tolvanen, Kaprizov

16-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 4D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 4 on farm
    F: P Kane, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Marchessault, B Schenn, Fiala, Kase,
    D: Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Parayko
    G: Rask
    Farm: Kravtsov, A Boqvist, Necas, I Samsonov

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    it seems like the bruins and canucks switched shoes in the playoffs. bruins were the dirty team in the season, and then turned clean come playoffs. canucks were the clean team in the season, and turned dirty in the playoffs.
    Don't necessarily agree with them being clean in the playoffs but it's definitely toned down from the season stuff. I think instead of picking one side or the other we should just accept reality: THIS is the new NHL. Every team embellishes to try to get calls, every team employs people that deserve to get their face bashed and dangerous plays are part of the game because the league did nothing about them until today.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    I know there's the Canucks hate, and I understand it. Just seems like you ignore the cheap shots the Bruin's have taken. I suppose I can see why, but I find it hypocritical when you lean so heavy on Van for it, but never mention it coming the other way. Hurry up and post how I want you to, please.
    no, Bruins are definitely doing the behind the play stuff too, but at least they are taking the shit for it, rather than immediately asking for penalties with the refs and such. Like Lucic last night for example vs. Burrows. Burrows immediately looks at refs to see if he gets a call, and lucic (I believe they were on the PP even) just went for it and took the penalty.

I just don't like the way burrows, lap, kesler etc. playing the game this playoffs. That's definitely more a personal hate than anything. But, you as a canuck fan, should definitely stick with your team and defend them till you die, and I respect that

Dobber Sports Giant

"They are a disgusting bunch of people." hahaha.
    the first article was a good read and i agree to most of it.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    you're lucky I'm never offended

But ya Praba puts it pretty well... in regular season canucks were much different than now. Even Luongo is in on the diving nonsense these playoffs.

I don't know man, I just hate them more everytime I watch them. In regular season I never minded them much. But these playoffs I've grown to hate them. Even before they played the preds.
    Just to help things out, Luongo's diving is just as bad in the regular season. I'm not a Luongo fan...
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Banned

Just to help things out, Luongo's diving is just as bad in the regular season. I'm not a Luongo fan...
    Ok, I don't see too many canucks games in regular season since we are forced upon Flames and Oilers feeds.

But that makes sense. I think Luongo is overrated as well, if he wins the vezina I will eat shit.

Glad we agree on a couple things tho lol

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Ok, I don't see too many canucks games in regular season since we are forced upon Flames and Oilers feeds.

But that makes sense. I think Luongo is overrated as well, if he wins the vezina I will eat shit.

Glad we agree on a couple things tho lol
    You know what, I think we actually agree on a fair amount, I just have a hard time swallowing the "extreme".

I don't think Lou has a shot at Vezina and I have no idea how he was selected of Price.

If he does win the Vezina, may I watch you eat shit? Lol....
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Banned

You know what, I think we actually agree on a fair amount, I just have a hard time swallowing the "extreme".

I don't think Lou has a shot at Vezina and I have no idea how he was selected of Price.

If he does win the Vezina, may I watch you eat shit? Lol....
    I'll be sure to send you an invitation lol

the extreme usually comes from me having too much fun on the boards. But the main point remains usually the same

At the post above this one, I like the whole post

Dobber Sports Icon

Should America be proud of Glenn Beck?
    Last edited by 4T2; June 7, 2011 at 4:33 PM. Reason: decided to tone it down a bit
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Should America be proud of Glenn Beck?
    hahahah ...... love it

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I hope people are able to see the reality (and not just one side or the other) and realize that the Bruins are not a bunch of angels themselves. Look up their antics throughout the season.
    Bruins are far from angels, but they have become pretty demonized this year as well. Call it Black and Gold glasses if you want, but the Bruins are no dirtier than most of the teams in the league. They are simply under the magnifying glass because Colin Campbell's son plays for them.

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    it seems like the bruins and canucks switched shoes in the playoffs. bruins were the dirty team in the season, and then turned clean come playoffs. canucks were the clean team in the season, and turned dirty in the playoffs.
    Other than the two inexcusable incidents from this series, I don't think the Canucks have been an overly "dirty" team. They have a bit of an edge to their game this year, without which, they probably would have choked again.

Neither team are perfect little angels, but neither team is overtly dirty either.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Bruins are far from angels, but they have become pretty demonized this year as well. Call it Black and Gold glasses if you want, but the Bruins are no dirtier than most of the teams in the league. They are simply under the magnifying glass because Colin Campbell's son plays for them. .
    My comment was addressed to those who take such a hard stance in one direction or the other. People need to see reality for what it is.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sophomore

As a Canucks fan, I really couldn't care less if they're "Canada's team" or if Canada is "proud" of them. I've been a diehard fan forever and I'm finally getting some payoff. What some grumpy hockey fans in playoff-less cities think of the Canucks doesn't matter to me.

Aside from the Burrows bite and the Rome hit, what else has there been by the Canucks? I don't know about you, but if someone were to stick their hand in my mouth during a tussle I'd chomp down to get it out of there. The Rome hit was late, but the difference between 0.50 seconds and 0.85 seconds is really, realy tiny.

Why isn't there a big stink about Peverley's two-hander to the back of Bieksa's knee? Why wasn't that a suspension? Why aren't the Bruins a "dirty" team because of that?

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    My comment was addressed to those who take such a hard stance in one direction or the other. People need to see reality for what it is.
    I agree with you on that point whole-heartedly.

It just seems to me that you tend to come down hard on the Bruins for being a dirty team yourself. I can't blame you there since you are a Habs fan just as I'm sure you can't blame me for defending my team since I'm a Bruins fan.

You are one the better members for being able to see an issue from both sides and I respect that. Just sticking up for my team.

Dobber Sports Stud

I honestly don't have a big problem with the Canucks... they dive, but not as badly as the Habs or the Lightning did; they're not a dirty team in general, Rome's hit aside; or a classless team in general, Burrows/Lapierre aside. The Sedins flop around a bit but no more than Naslund ever did... heck, even Forsberg was called "Flopppa" sometimes... though he conveniently speared you in the crotch on the way down!

It's understandable that a sequence of three games with questionable incidents in a row could create the impression that their issues are more pronounced than they are. Much like a decade of incidents between the Bs and the Habs creates a bad impression of their overall play in some quarters. But much like I didn't think the Bruins were a dirty team when Kyle McLaren took down Ribeiro that one year, I try not to paint with too broad a stroke the other way either.
    Last edited by Thieving Giraffe; June 7, 2011 at 4:59 PM.
    T.G.