Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should Canada be proud of the Canucks

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Should Canada be proud of the Canucks

The Vancouver Canucks are representing Canada in the Stanley Cup finals. They are the first team to make it to the finals since the Ottawa Senators lost to the Anaheim Ducks in 2007 and the last Canadian team to win it all was Montreal Canadians in 1993. Given how the Vancouver Canucks have presented them selves is Canada proud? Are the Vancouver Canucks Canada's team, or Canada's shame?

One of the biggest story lines paralleling this series is Alex Burrows bite on Patrice Bergeron. Burrows took a bite on the finger of Bergeron in a post play scrum after Bergeron gave a little face wash to Burrows. The incident was surprisingly not suspended because it was ruled inconclusive. It was inconclusive because Burrows used his free hand to cover his mouth. This act may have allowed him to escape a disciplinary suspension but for some, it showed Burrows true colors. He may have bit in the heat of the moment. Perhaps it was a spontaneous reaction. But the act of concealing the bite shows he knew what he was doing, had time to think about it and recognize it was very wrong. Did it any way and successfully concealed the action.
    Since the League failed to act the incident has carried on as in post play scrums players are taunting opponents to bit their fingers. Several times we have seen this taunt from players on both teams from the likes of Lapierre, Lucic and Recchi. Even Burrows had the Gaul to tempt Bergeron to bite his fingers. A very classless move.
    What makes the lack of suspension from the game 1 bite even worse is Burrows scored two goals in game two, including the game winner.

Diving is a problem in may sports including Soccer and Hockey. While every team has a guy who feels the need to embellish in an effort to draw a penalty it seems the entire Vancouver Canucks team has gone to acting lessons and perfected the "head snap" maneuver. Lead by the expert in Goal, Roberto Luongo spends as much time making saves as he does reacting to phantom hits and injuries. Alex burrows embellished a hit in a game vs. Nashville Dec 8 and drew a penalty. Since then he claimed referee Stephane Auger had a personal grudge against him. Perhaps it is not a grudge, but rather a reputation as a diver.

Game three of the finals was a volatile match emphasized by Aaron Rome's hit on Nathan Horton. Was it a dirty hit? Was it a late hit? The NHL would say yes and subsequently suspended Aaron Rome for four games, the remainder of the finals. Nathan Horton suffered a severe concussion on the hit and the team announced he will miss the remainder of the playoffs. His career may be in jeopardy.

Raffi Torres had a similar hit in the first round vs. Chicago when he hit a vulnerable Brent Seabrook. That was Torres first game back after returning from a four game suspension for a hit to the head of Jordan Eberle.
    Is Torres a head hunter? You be the judge.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWu2gyZ6XcE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeZDE9H3_vU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmyda...eature=related

During the Stanley cup playoffs the Vancouver Canucks have demonstrated a lot of speed, and skill, but very little class. Perhaps the team Canadians should be cheering for is the team that has the most Canadians on it.

For more visit
    http://fantasyhockeynerd.blogspot.com/

Dobber Sports Ninja

Lol, well quite honestly being a Canucks fan I don't care much for this article. But I'm sure you're going to get a lot of support from the other guys on the boards who are cheering against them. It reads with a heavy bias but I suppose that is your prerogative.
    Anyways the one piece of constructive criticism I give though is you might want to read through what you wrote and proofread it as there are a couple of mistakes.

Edit: Lol see? there's dutch already.
    Last edited by bondon; June 7, 2011 at 3:22 PM.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Banned

Well said pharling, this is an excellent post, and I'm glad more people start to see the "True Canucks" team

The Canucks performance these playoffs are embarassing, and they are arguably the worst when it comes to cheapshots, dirty behind the play slashes and whatever else. Then, when somebody else hits them back, they are IMMEDIATELY looking at referees asking for penalties.

They are a disgusting bunch of people.

Now if just the media would see the true colours of the canucks, we wouldn't have to listen to their ridiculous bias towards them

May the Bruins get some karma out of the canucks dirty play, and win the cup.

As one of my good friends once said: "it's a shame guys like Iginla most likely won't win a cup, but dirty douchebags like lapierre, torres, burrows most likely will win one this year"

Dobber Sports Sage

As much as I dislike it, it's pretty accurate. I'm finding that I'm having a hard time defending their actions as they continue to happen. I don't think it's quite as bad as others are making it out to be, but as a fan I watch almost every game and see all the good, hard work that they have put in. It's a shame that all their successes come under attack, but really they've done it to themselves. They really need to work hard at playing a "clean" game unless they want this type of attention to continue to follow them.

I think this stuff happens with every team, but it's been particularly bad with Vancouver. It sucks. It's making it harder to enjoy the successes we've had this year, and to defend my team against the haters. Booo...
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Well said pharling, this is an excellent post, and I'm glad more people start to see the "True Canucks" team

The Canucks performance these playoffs are embarassing, and they are arguably the worst when it comes to cheapshots, dirty behind the play slashes and whatever else. Then, when somebody else hits them back, they are IMMEDIATELY looking at referees asking for penalties.

They are a disgusting bunch of people.

Now if just the media would see the true colours of the canucks, we wouldn't have to listen to their ridiculous bias towards them

May the Bruins get some karma out of the canucks dirty play, and win the cup.

As one of my good friends once said: "it's a shame guys like Iginla most likely won't win a cup, but dirty douchebags like lapierre, torres, burrows most likely will win one this year"

The first post was great. This is simply ******ed. "True Colors." At least your "true colors" are easily apparent as well...

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    As much as I dislike it, it's pretty accurate. I'm finding that I'm having a hard time defending their actions as they continue to happen. I don't think it's quite as bad as others are making it out to be, but as a fan I watch almost every game and see all the good, hard work that they have put in. It's a shame that all their successes come under attack, but really they've done it to themselves. They really need to work hard at playing a "clean" game unless they want this type of attention to continue to follow them.

I think this stuff happens with every team, but it's been particularly bad with Vancouver. It sucks. It's making it harder to enjoy the successes we've had this year, and to defend my team against the haters. Booo...
    I appreciate your honesty about your own team I can't give you rep for it as I gotta spread it around it says.

They definitely did it to themselves, and I think it may follow them. Makes it hard to be a fan when everyone pisses on your team. I have it too, but for different reasons. At the end of the day, as long as you maintain being a fan of them that's all that matters. Once the cup is over regardless of who wins, the hate will go away until October and then we will all hate eachothers teams again for 9 months

Cheers

Banned

The first post was great. This is simply ******ed. "True Colors." At least your "true colors" are easily apparent as well...
    I really believe that the Canucks true colours, these playoffs, are diving, embellishing, and cheapshots

that's just my observations. So, whatever true colours that may give me so be it.

Administrator

I hope people are able to see the reality (and not just one side or the other) and realize that the Bruins are not a bunch of angels themselves. Look up their antics throughout the season.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

the canucks have the talent to be in the finals this year. i just dont like the path they took. being accused of embellishment, finger biting, dirty hits...imo not the honourable way to win the cup.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I hope people are able to see the reality (and not just one side or the other) and realize that the Bruins are not a bunch of angels themselves. Look up their antics throughout the season.
    it seems like the bruins and canucks switched shoes in the playoffs. bruins were the dirty team in the season, and then turned clean come playoffs. canucks were the clean team in the season, and turned dirty in the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Sage

I really believe that the Canucks true colours, these playoffs, are diving, embellishing, and cheapshots

that's just my observations. So, whatever true colours that may give me so be it.
    This playoffs, I couldn't agree more. It freakin' sucks. I suppose I'm reacting to what I perceived as a blanket statement. Besides Luongo, most of the time didn't partake in any of the BS this year. Gillis had sat down with Kesler and Burrows and asked them both to focuse on the game, rather than the yapping. They both made major changes. I think that's a big part why I get so defensive about it as this is the first year they've made a serious effort to stay away from that stuff. Excuse my "******ed" retort... came at a moment of emotional weakness

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    the canucks have the talent to be in the finals this year. i just dont like the path they took. being accused of embellishment, finger biting, dirty hits...imo not the honourable way to win the cup.
    Yea, man. I'm not looking forward to this being the recurring story if Vancouver ends up winning. Really, really sucks to have all the hard work almost erased as this is how most of the world will remember them.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

I know there's the Canucks hate, and I understand it. Just seems like you ignore the cheap shots the Bruin's have taken. I suppose I can see why, but I find it hypocritical when you lean so heavy on Van for it, but never mention it coming the other way. Hurry up and post how I want you to, please.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Guru

Nucks fans should love their team. god knows i loved that rat Ville Nieminen in 04.

this stuff about "Canada's team" imo is some timid BS spewed out by chicks and curling fans who don't follow their own team. it's the canadian version of "how bout dem lakers?"

i'm a flames fan. the only other canadian team i would cheer for in a Cup finals would maybe be the Sens... and thats because i don't come in contact with obnoxious Sens fans all that often.

Jarome Iginla agrees with me. fact.
    Last edited by ultrawhiteness; June 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM.

Banned

This playoffs, I couldn't agree more. It freakin' sucks. I suppose I'm reacting to what I perceived as a blanket statement. Besides Luongo, most of the time didn't partake in any of the BS this year. Gillis had sat down with Kesler and Burrows and asked them both to focuse on the game, rather than the yapping. They both made major changes. I think that's a big part why I get so defensive about it as this is the first year they've made a serious effort to stay away from that stuff. Excuse my "******ed" retort... came at a moment of emotional weakness
    you're lucky I'm never offended

But ya Praba puts it pretty well... in regular season canucks were much different than now. Even Luongo is in on the diving nonsense these playoffs.

I don't know man, I just hate them more everytime I watch them. In regular season I never minded them much. But these playoffs I've grown to hate them. Even before they played the preds.