Thread: Fantasy hockey is key to NHL success

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Fantasy hockey is key to NHL success

The NHL makes fantasy hockey possible. But does fantasy hockey make the NHL possible?

Commissioner Gary Bettman has a vision for his NHL. To bring it from Canada and North eastern United States and make the sport of hockey a national sport of relevance. To compete with the NFL, NBA, and MLBA. By adding teams to the sun belt region from Florida to California and attempting to land a lucrative national television contract. The southern teams have had a lot of success as well with Tampa Bay, Anaheim, Dallas, and Carolina all winning the Stanley Cup. As Bettman was awarding the cup in Anaheim to thunderous applause I remember him stating "looks like hockey is alive and well in California!" While Carolina was on their two appearances in the Stanley cup finals the fans were tail gating at the arena during game day all day and into the night the way they do for Nascar and football. While this makes it clear there are hockey fans in southern cities and all across North America they are fair weather fans. Where are these fans when times are tough for their team?

In the Northern or "traditional" hockey markets the fans are much more committed. Fans there are loyal fans of their team but more significantly are fans of hockey. So how can the NHL breed fans of "hockey" and not just casual fans who only follow their local team? The answer is fantasy hockey. If you are reading this blog chances are you belong to a hockey pool. Even if your team sucks and is enduring a rebuild or awful season you still check the box scores daily and have a vested interest in the NHL. The best example I have ever seen for this is my father. A long time Leaf fan would watch if the Leafs were doing well, if not his interest was gone. Over the last two years he has joined my hockey pool. Since then he has joined two more and plays weekly free pools on CBC and other sites. Now he watches a game almost every night. Now he may even watch a game on T.V. and follow box scores on his lap top. Now he owns a jersey and shares season tickets. Now he is a "hockey" fan, more than just a leaf fan. And it is all because of fantasy hockey.

The most successful pro sport league in North America is the NFL . The main reason why is gambling. Fans love to be in NFL pools and suicide pools etc. Because of this the NFL enjoys major National television broadcasting revenues because fans love to watch games, even if their home team is not playing!

While the NHL makes fantasy hockey possible, fantasy hockey can fulfill Bettman's vision of the NHL. How can the NHL leverage fantasy hockey to be even as close to successful as the NFL? Perhaps a team in Las Vegas. If this is the formula how would you suggest the NHL executes? What would you do to grow fantasy hockey?

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Wow - love this post.

Very thought-provoking and well written.

Kudos pharling, you've been a blast since posting in the PG Section.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Fantasy hockey was what actually got me into NHL hockey.

Good read.

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Fantasy hockey was what actually got me into NHL hockey.
    Same here. And now look at me ... I'm an addict!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Great post.

It is a great point.
    The nice thing about fantasy sports is it forces us to pay attention to other teams besides just our favourite team. When I used to chat about hockey over on ESPN, I'd get into arguments with passionate fans that were convinced that they knew more than me about a topic.

ex. When discussing the Norris Trophy and Zdeno Chara, I had a guy once say "I've seen every Bruins game this season... trust me... I know how much Chara deserves the Norris". And I think - well if that guy watched 82 Boston games... how much time could he have possibly spent watching OTHER teams & OTHER defensemen?

Fantasy hockey forces us to watch a little bit of every team - and this does help grow the game, because you start to appreciate a type of player... instead of just rooting for a logo.

Dobber Sports Monster

You know this is a great post Pharling..

I find myself ( cause of fantasy hockey) rooting for players in games I actually want the opposite team to win haha.

For example im a HUGE Blackhawk fan and I can't even begin to tell you how many times I needed " a player on one my teams" to score or get an assist or even needing the Hawks to lose cause they were going against one of my goalies and I needed the W..

( You know you have all done this lol )

its tricky what fantasy hockey does to ya haha

I never root for the Hawks to lose, but there has been a few times on occasion where I've told myself " Ok I can handle a Hawks loss tonight vs my goalie" haha but then I silently tell myself " they lose tonight, but then I need the Hawks to go on a 3 game winning streak or whatever.

Also I started to follow alot more teams alot more closely, such as PP1, PP2, line combo's etc etc.

Administrator

Fantasy sports are important but the NHL gets handicapped in some areas. In football and basketball there are always numbers to talk about even if the player has a terrible game. Lebron James can have a stinker and still post 10 points, 6 rebounds and 5 assists. Peyton Manning can have a poor outing going 15-30 for 175 yards with 1 touchdown and 3 interceptions. In hockey it's 0 goals and 0 assists.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Banned

that's how I started is because of fantasy hockey. Before that, I could give a crap if I watched a game or not.

I think for me personally, it was just ebcause there are too many games in a season. I mean, to be a fan, and watch 82 games a year, takes a big toll on your social life and such. Games don't mean enough to an average fan to be comitted to watch your favorite team vs. minnesota or florida.

But, with fantasy hockey every game matters, so you are more inclined to follow it. You may not watch the game still, but you watch at least the highlights, boxscores, or recaps.

If the NHL hypotethically would only have 40 games a year or so. Games would mean more, and people would be guaranteed to watch every game their team plays.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    I find myself ( cause of fantasy hockey) rooting for players in games I actually want the opposite team to win haha.

For example im a HUGE Blackhawk fan and I can't even begin to tell you how many times I needed " a player on one my teams" to score or get an assist or even needing the Hawks to lose cause they were going against one of my goalies and I needed the W..

( You know you have all done this lol )

its tricky what fantasy hockey does to ya haha

I never root for the Hawks to lose, but there has been a few times on occasion where I've told myself " Ok I can handle a Hawks loss tonight vs my goalie" haha but then I silently tell myself " they lose tonight, but then I need the Hawks to go on a 3 game winning streak or whatever.

Also I started to follow alot more teams alot more closely, such as PP1, PP2, line combo's etc etc.
    Couldn't agree more.
    14-Team H2H Limited Keeper League

Rosters: 3C, 5W, 4D, 1U, 2G, 5B, 2IR+, 1NA
    Keep: 4 F, 2 D, 1 G
    Skater Stats: G (3), A (2), +/- (0.3), PIM (0.4), PPP (0.5), SHP (1), GWG (1), SOG (0.3), Hits (0.1), Blks (0.25), FW (0.05)
    Goalie Stats: W (5), SV (0.3), GA (-2), SHO (2)

C: Crosby, Zegras
    W: Pastrnak, Keller

D: Karlsson, Montour
    G:Oettinger
    IR+:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah I can definitely relate to this too. Great post.

Didn't really start following the NHL as a whole until probably beginning of last year...have an addictive personality. Usually only watched Canucks games and would follow boxscores nightly, but aside from that didn't watch much.
    Then it progressed to watching players I owned...then to the entire league.

Fantasy hockey is awesome.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Icon

Bang On 100%

i LIKED watching hockey before fanatsy, now i cant get enough. i still need to pick one or two guys from my team in my fanatsy team so i have a reason to watch my team on TV, but like has been said, fanatsy has made me watch games i never would have thought of before. St Louis vs Columbus?..never woulda watched that before fanatsy, now its full of my fantasy guys.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

I...am your father.

Pharling, can you contact me please? [email protected]
    I need a name, so I can front page this bad boy
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Very nice piece, pharling. You certainly bring valid points all of which are debate-worthy. The discourse on how to make hockey more popular and relevant is an ever growing one, and should be at the forefront of sports commentary.

I do, however, respectfully disagree with your conclusion that NHL hockey becomes more relevant/popular as it becomes more wager friendly. Also, one has to be very aware of the inherent problems of increased popularity and spotlight, or else the league runs the risk of acquiring the same domestic issues as the NFL. The last thing fans want is the tradition tarnished due to its players landing in jail on a recurrent basis for battery, delinquent child support, or drug charges. Usual outcomes when you make a deal w/ the devil (ie, money is the bottom line)

I was recently drafting in the ASKL, out with my 74 year-old father, when it was my turn to pick. He didn't quite understand how I was able to draft from my telephone, but he absolutely knew each and every name on my "prospect" list. He knew Omark, Babchuk, and told me to stay away from Mueller. He is not in a pool.

He and I, as well as several of my co-workers discuss daily the playoffs, the stories w/in each series, and the "better" team. None of them are in pools.

Point being, there must be something more than the availability to gamble per se. In fact, I am currently in a fantasy football league that began prior to the advent of the internet. True. We would get our scores from the daily newspaper and fax updates league wide, communicate by answering machines...etc...very archaic, I know. But what I'm saying is we formed this NFL league because it gave us something to do while we were watching football. Not the other way around.

You may be onto something, indeed. But I would tread lightly, if my model and basis for operation is the NFL. The NHL has something special, a sport long steeped in tradition, and more importantly pride. Kids partaking in the AllStar game's opening ceremony is not something you see in the NFL.

I am currently in three fantasy pools because I've loved hockey since my childhood (thanks to my father). Not the other way around. If my hockey pools necessitated Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction during the Stanley Cup Finals.....

....I do believe I would have to step aside fro the sport I've always loved.

Anyway, great piece. Very thought provoking and, perhaps, a piece to the puzzle. Glad to have you aboard, pharling.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Wow, so glad so many enjoy this article and can relate. It is a lot of fun writing and as long as folks keep reading what I write I and I can generate some good discussions and debate I will keep writing.
    Thanks for reading