Page 6 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanley Cup Final: Vancouver (West) vs. Boston (East)

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Against the Sharks, I missed 2 games out of the series due to travel, but the other games, especially the 3 consecutive 5 on 3 goals, were pretty much with help from the refs.
    Pretty much help from the ref???? Too many men on the ice and delay of game penalty???? Can you explain to me how those two penalties aren't completely cut and dry? I agree with you 100% that Canucks have had some good breaks, but you lose a bit of credibility when you say that those penalties are coming from the refs...
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    The series result is far from set in stone.

I agree, it's amazing how many people are just handing this thing to the Canucks. The Dobber expert results, prime example, two guys choose Boston and that's in 7. It would not shock me at all if Boston won in 5 or 6, stranger things have certainly happened, especially when you consider that, in Thomas, the Bruins have a mentally strong Vezina winner who can win a series all by himself (not that Luongo is a slouch, just saying that when yoi're fcing a goalie like that anything can happen).

I do think the Canucks will take it, with their depth and the rest they've had, plus the stars have aligned for them with all the bounces, winning Game 7 against the Hawks on a defensive giveaway when the tide was turning against them, etc., I don't think these guys are going to allow 4 games to slip away.

I can't wait for this series, it should be lots of fun and hard hitting.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Icon

I also think that people are going overboard regarding how Luongo has played and his stats, which I think are exaggerated because of that crappy Preds series when the Preds took lots of shots but mostly of a non-dangerous variety, which resulted in his GAA being relatively low and SV% being relatively high even though he didn't play that solidly. That said, he was absolutely incredible in Game 5 against the Sharks, if he plays like that he's hard to beat.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Good Afternoon Canucks.

The 1995 Detroit Red Wings say hi.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Good Afternoon Canucks.

The 1995 Detroit Red Wings say hi.
    Man that would be great!!!
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Banned

to all those asking where my help from refs comment comes from...

sure, too many men needs to be called, but I know the canucks have had too many men, and NOT get called

sure delay of game is a penalty I agree

But, half the penalties are because canucks are divers or embellishing calls. It is crazy to say that htey haven't had help from the refs. And by the looks of it, you can at least see that.

if referees call games normally, and aren't influenced by constant diving nonsense, I can see the Bruins taking this.

It's almost laughable to say the Bruins are underdogs. Bruins have been one of the top teams most of the year. it's not like this is the Panthers of today playing the final against the Canucks...

But like 4T2 says, keep putting Bruins in as underdogs, the more sweet it will be (for me) if they win

Dobber Sports Master

.... well that was an unexpected post...

Dobber Sports Sage

I just don't see where anyone has specifically said that Boston is an underdog. We have seen here that most posters pick van to win, not roll over them, or taking them easily. You Have this idea that everyOne is stating that it's an obvious and easy win for van. I don't see where anyone has said that sort of thing. It's gonna be a damn competitive series that either team is fully capable of winning. I am happy to agree with you that anyone who thinks this is a walk in the park for van is crazy. You wouldn't catch me betting big money on van, or bos, for that matter.

On another note, just as good fOr thought, Luongo has the seventh best save percentage in playoff history. That doesn't mean I'm hugely confident in his ability to steal games, exactly the opposite, but that statistic does stand for something v

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Also, Dutch, I love your passion, but to say half the penalties we've drawn are due to embellishment or dives is straight up wrong. Also, you seem to ignore the fact that the refs have also missed calls on vancouver's opponents. That game goes two ways.

Again, I'm not arguing that we haven't had help, but you take it to an absolute extreme as if van is the dahkness and any team they play is one of poor little mary's lost sheep who has no one to lead him home. And to think I've told you a million times to not over-exaggerate

Thing is, Dutch, your general thoughts and ideas are accurate, the extreme you are taking them to is not.
    Last edited by ridinryan44; May 31, 2011 at 4:09 PM.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    I also think that people are going overboard regarding how Luongo has played and his stats, which I think are exaggerated because of that crappy Preds series when the Preds took lots of shots but mostly of a non-dangerous variety, which resulted in his GAA being relatively low and SV% being relatively high even though he didn't play that solidly. That said, he was absolutely incredible in Game 5 against the Sharks, if he plays like that he's hard to beat.
    Incidentally, Luongo's SV% for the last 2 rounds:
    vs Preds: .933
    vs Sharks: .931

Sure his GAA spiked, but that was due to the Sharks pumping out twice the rate of shots compared to the Preds.

As for the whole 'call the Bruins underdogs'... yeah, not seeing it. I consider them the best all around team that the Canucks have had to face in the post season:
    Chicago: Lack of depth up front
    Nash: Lack of offense
    SJ: Lack of depth on D (lack of shut down D-men too)

Boston... pretty damn deep up front & on D... plenty of offense, good D and goaltending.

The fact that I like the Canuck's chances doesn't mean I think Boston sucks, they clearly don't. It also doesn't mean that I am under-rating them or slighting them... it just means I like the 'Nucks chances.

Just out of curiousity, if giving each team 5 penalties a game is proof that the Canucks are being favoured by the refs because they are the better PP team, then wouldn't the whistles getting put away (1 penalty per game) be proof of the Refs favouring the Bruins?

Anyway, do people honestly believe that the refs are going to screw Colin Campbell's kid out of a cup? Seriously?

Dammit why won't the games start already!

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    I just don't see where anyone has specifically said that Boston is an underdog. We have seen here that most posters pick van to win, not roll over them, or taking them easily. You Have this idea that everyOne is stating that it's an obvious and easy win for van. I don't see where anyone has said that sort of thing. It's gonna be a damn competitive series that either team is fully capable of winning. I am happy to agree with you that anyone who thinks this is a walk in the park for van is crazy. You wouldn't catch me betting big money on van, or bos, for that matter.

On another note, just as good fOr thought, Luongo has the seventh best save percentage in playoff history. That doesn't mean I'm hugely confident in his ability to steal games, exactly the opposite, but that statistic does stand for something v

My only point about Luongo is that his stats are slightly better than they should be due to the very low scoring Preds series, even SV% since the shots they did take on him were mostly low percentage shots. But as I said he did play well against the Sharks so not knocking him (enough people have knocked this guy for me to go there!).

I think it'll be a great series and Boston could surprise, the first game is CRUCIAL - that may sound like an obvious conclusion, but I really do think if the Bruins take that first game things change dramatically, with the pressure the Canucks would be under in Game 2. That's why I think it'll be a great first game, both teams should come out skating really hard with the long layoff and knowing how important that 1st win is.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    My only point about Luongo is that his stats are slightly better than they should be due to the very low scoring Preds series, even SV% since the shots they did take on him were mostly low percentage shots. But as I said he did play well against the Sharks so not knocking him (enough people have knocked this guy for me to go there!).

I think it'll be a great series and Boston could surprise, the first game is CRUCIAL - that may sound like an obvious conclusion, but I really do think if the Bruins take that first game things change dramatically, with the pressure the Canucks would be under in Game 2. That's why I think it'll be a great first game, both teams should come out skating really hard with the long layoff and knowing how important that 1st win is.
    For sure. Really, just 'cus his overall sv% is good, doesn't mean he's good now, per say. I think Luongo played really well against SJ and that is good, coming into the next series. Luongo is not the same confident goalie he was back in the Dallas series where it was a straight out goaltending duel between him and Turco. The stat was merely to point out that he has had success in the past and that he can be a difference maker still. He isn't the dominant goalie he used to be, though.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    Also, Dutch, I love your passion, but to say half the penalties we've drawn are due to embellishment or dives is straight up wrong. Also, you seem to ignore the fact that the refs have also missed calls on vancouver's opponents. That game goes two ways.

Again, I'm not arguing that we haven't had help, but you take it to an absolute extreme as if van is the dahkness and any team they play is one of poor little mary's lost sheep who has no one to lead him home. And to think I've told you a million times to not over-exaggerate

Thing is, Dutch, your general thoughts and ideas are accurate, the extreme you are taking them to is not.
    I know that canucks have had missed calls, but the reality is it's probably a 3:1 favor for canucks when it comes to calls going into someone's favor. That's the point i'm trying to get across...

other than that, I will exaggerate till the series is over, just to piss all canucks fans off lol

But the point remains the same, exaggerated or not

Dobber Sports Master

I know that canucks have had missed calls, but the reality is it's probably a 3:1 favor for canucks when it comes to calls going into someone's favor.
    In your opinion...

Dobber Sports Sage

Talking

other than that, I will exaggerate till the series is over, just to piss all canucks fans off lol

But the point remains the same, exaggerated or not
    I can deal with that!@

Farm