Thread: Kerry Fraser on the 18th Anniversary of "The Missed Call"

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Kerry Fraser on the 18th Anniversary of "The Missed Call"

Kerry Fraser talks about the missed call of Game 6 of the Campbell Conference Final between the Los Angeles Kings and Toronto Maple Leafs in 1993.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367030
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Giant

kessler throws an elbow that gets missed in these playoffs and then he scores the winner.
    it happens all the time and the media blows it out of proportion because its gretz. and because it was against Toronto.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Pro

Haters gonna hate.
    I can think of a dozen calls that were missed, leading to my Sharks losing the playoff game. Do I remember them? Sure. Do I gripe about them here and there to myself? Sure, but I don't rag on a particular ref about them, and I don't feel my sharks were entitled to a championship because of it.

Those leaf fans need to grow up and stop whining. Plain and simple, it was a missed call, it happens to all teams in every playoffs and the leafs aren't a special snowflake.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Padawan

<---- Leaf fan. Big one. Long time sufferer.

Guys get over it. It was one missed call 18 years ago. It didnt make us lose game 7 at home. It didnt cost us a cup.

If 1 call costs you a cup you must have missed multiple opportunities to move on already.

Anyway my 2c. I was watching that game. I was as pissed as the rest of the leaf fans. But we need to let it go...

Cheers.

Banned

this was the most telling quote of the article, compliments of Doug Gilmour, one of the classiest and most talented to ever play the game:

"Give me Game 7 back in my home building and I'd take it any time. We just didn't get it done."
    Leafs fans are such a bizarre group...always dwelling on what 'might have been' instead of building a team to get it done now, it just boggles my mind how the richest team in the league in the world's most lucrative hockey market can't even make the playoffs...they're like the anti-Yankees or something

Dobber Sports Stud

Good for Gilmour. You don't hear Calgary still griping about the missed goal in Game 6 back in 2004... that's a bigger miss, in my opinion.

Of course, you sure don't hear Lightning fans talking about it either.
    Last edited by Thieving Giraffe; May 27, 2011 at 6:07 PM.
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    this was the most telling quote of the article, compliments of Doug Gilmour, one of the classiest and most talented to ever play the game:

Leafs fans are such a bizarre group...always dwelling on what 'might have been' instead of building a team to get it done now, it just boggles my mind how the richest team in the league in the world's most lucrative hockey market can't even make the playoffs...they're like the anti-Yankees or something
    Not all Leafs fans. I am one. I have been disgusted with the impatient plan that has had the Leafs mortgage the future for a chance at a low play-off seed year-in and year-out.

Not all of us are dwelling on a missed call more than a decade ago. Just a few yahoos who are still sporting Gilmour sweaters.

It's funny though. Most of us actually support the other CDN franchises when they are not playing us.

However there is always a distinct anti-Toronto sentiment from most of the other CDN cities and posters. Why?

Some of it must stem from the fact that TO was consistently put on CBC more than any other team.

I will be cheering for VCR in the Finals.

And the argument that the same amount of CDN's are on all the NHL's franchises doesn't dissuade me from cheering for VCR this year. I want to see the Stanley Cup on Canadian soil. No dis-respect to the US teams but I just think it means more to us here. Just like the World Championships mean more to rest of the world (Finland, Sweden, etc...) than it does to North Americans who are all watching the play-offs.

Sorry for the off-topic post.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Princeton View Post
    Not all Leafs fans. I am one. I have been disgusted with the impatient plan that has had the Leafs mortgage the future for a chance at a low play-off seed year-in and year-out.

Not all of us are dwelling on a missed call more than a decade ago. Just a few yahoos who are still sporting Gilmour sweaters.

It's funny though. Most of us actually support the other CDN franchises when they are not playing us.

However there is always a distinct anti-Toronto sentiment from most of the other CDN cities and posters. Why?

Some of it must stem from the fact that TO was consistently put on CBC more than any other team.

I will be cheering for VCR in the Finals.

And the argument that the same amount of CDN's are on all the NHL's franchises doesn't dissuade me from cheering for VCR this year. I want to see the Stanley Cup on Canadian soil. No dis-respect to the US teams but I just think it means more to us here. Just like the World Championships mean more to rest of the world (Finland, Sweden, etc...) than it does to North Americans who are all watching the play-offs.

Sorry for the off-topic post.
    A bit off topic perhaps but a great post nonetheless IMHO. Rep coming your way Princeton.

Edit: The Anti Leaf sentiment I hear from many is due to the unbalanced amount of coverage provided to them from the major media outlets in Canada, likely due to the fact the major media outlets are based out of Toronto. Unfortunately this unfairly gets directed towards the team itself, when it's actually a media creation. I know I'm not the first to mention this here, but thought I'd chime in on your question.
    Last edited by MoreCanadianTeams; May 27, 2011 at 6:50 PM.