Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pengwin7's 2010-2011 Goalie Rankings (Draft Version)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by mapletreemarty View Post
    I don't think that save percentage should be penalized if the goalie plays fewer minutes. In a H2H league a .920 save percentage is just that regardless of how many minutes you play.
    If the league starts more than 1 goalie then some discount is reasonable. If my #1G plays 240 minutes and faces 120 with a .900 SV% , a #2G who plays 60 minutes and pitches a 30 save shutout (1.000 SV%) gives me a .920 SV% overall, but a #2G playing 240 minutes and giving up 8 goals on 120 shots ( .950 SV%) is actually more valuable, giving a .925 SV% overall.

Still, as I mentioned in a previous post, I think the scaling is too steep as initially proposed.
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones

Dobber Sports Demi-God

GAA & SV% has to be scaled to some degree.
    You can't just pick a .920 goalie and a .900 goalie and expect a .910 average.

For example, Martin Gerber and Anton Khudobin appeared in about 3 games each this year. They both has a SV% better than .940 and a GAA better than 2.00. If I don't weight their minutes than they both get scores above perfect (10.0+) in each category.

In an "unweighted" analysis, Gerber & Khudobin end up with scores in the low 5.00s.
    This makes them more valuable than #17.Hiller, Howard, Roloson, Brodeur, Neuvirth, etc.

Do you really think Gerber & Khudobin were more valuable this year than those guys?
    Last edited by Pengwin7; June 2, 2011 at 2:17 PM.

Dobber Sports Pro

One way to handle minutes is to tier the goalies based on minutes played. That will give you a true picture of their value.
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

Dobber Sports Stud

The ideal way to deal with this is probably to take a page from sim poolies, and write a program that takes inputs for each goalie such as % chance starts each game, % of games started letting in 0 goals, % games letting in 1, letting in 2, etc. Run H2H matchups many times, and find which goalies have the highest avg # of cats won.

Obvious downside - practicality. I don't think doing the coding would be super hard, but you'd also need to go through last year's stats and come up with the probabilities (or even more of a pain, though more useful, predict probabilities for next year.

I guess we've got a few months before keeper decisions/draft day, and I HAVE been telling myself I'm going to practice my Python, so I may at least fiddle around with the program; if I make any progress maybe I'll lean on DobberNation to fill in a spreadsheet of probabilities for the top 25 goalies.
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones