Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: DY's 2011 NHL Entry Mock Draft

Banned

If you want a solid draft guide, buy Future Considerations' guide. Solid package. Good rankings, some surprises too, like Bartschi at 27 (or around there).

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Ev, as a Sens fan is there really any need to move up in this draft? If Murray really has his eye on Huberdeau then maybe, but you're practically guaranteed one of Huberdeau/Couturier/Strome, all of which would look great behind Spezza (or beside in Huberdeau's case). Gotta love the idea of landing one of those 3, no?

Banned

I would love if it they trade up to get the BPA in their eyes, and they have already said that this will be their goal. I'd rather have somebody then love then somebody they just have to settle for...the difference could be big.

Tim Murray (Assistant GM) said Tuesday that there is only one scenario which they don't like picking at #6, meaning they really only like 5 guys for that pick. He says that scenario is unlikely to happen though. They have seen plenty of Huberdeau, Couturier, and Strome (apparently have seen Huberdeau the most out of any team) so I'm not sure which guy they don't like the most. Probably either Strome or Couturier.

Based on who they invited to be interviewed, I'm thinking they believe RNH and Larsson are going #1 and #2, as they did not invite them to Ottawa.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I would love if it they trade up to get the BPA in their eyes, and they have already said that this will be their goal. I'd rather have somebody then love then somebody they just have to settle for...the difference could be big.

Tim Murray (Assistant GM) said Tuesday that there is only one scenario which they don't like picking at #6, meaning they really only like 5 guys for that pick. He says that scenario is unlikely to happen though. They have seen plenty of Huberdeau, Couturier, and Strome (apparently have seen Huberdeau the most out of any team) so I'm not sure which guy they don't like the most. Probably either Strome or Couturier.

Based on who they invited to be interviewed, I'm thinking they believe RNH and Larsson are going #1 and #2, as they did not invite them to Ottawa.
    Fair enough. I guess if there's a guy they really want at #3 or #4 then it makes sense.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Ev or Dyz, if you want to see my whole first round mock I can PM it to you just like I did for DY. Extensive research was conducted here, several factors like team needs, best player available and pure talent went into this mock.
    Last edited by dmvincent; June 1, 2011 at 11:15 PM.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    Ev or Dyz, if you want to see my whole first round mock I can PM it to you just like I did for DY. Extensive research was conducted here, several factors like team needs, best player available and pure talent went into this mock.
    Sure, why not.

Dobber Sports Stud

Rutherford is on record stating that the Hurricanes do not select defensemen in the first round. Could they draft one ? yeah certainly like Jack Johnson in 2005

but I suspect they take a forward
    Last edited by donpaulo; June 2, 2011 at 2:51 AM.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    Rutherford is on record stating that the Hurricanes do not select defensemen in the first round. Could they draft one ? yeah certainly like Jack Johnson in 2005

but I suspect they take a forward
    I would like to read that statement.

Rutherford might not have a choice at 12th overall if the BPA is a defenseman like Beaulieu.

Banned

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=563655

Although he’s willing to break with recent philosophy and draft a defenseman in the first round, Hurricanes General Manager Jim Rutherford still plans to keep his options open.

A number of blueliners, some of whom should be available with the 12th overall pick in the upcoming draft, have intrigued the team’s scouting staff to the point that Rutherford would consider picking one on the draft’s first day for the first time since 2005, when he selected Jack Johnson at No. 3.

However, that doesn’t mean that the team is definitely looking to bring one into the fold.

“There’s a group of five or six defensemen that our guys really like this year,” said Rutherford. “If in fact a defenseman is the best player at 12, we’ll take him, but we’re not going to take a defenseman just to take him and pass on forwards that have a much bigger upside. It will still end up being the best player at 12.”

In the past, Rutherford has preferred forwards in the first round, believing that, historically, they have a much better chance of helping the team that drafts them. Conversely, defensemen, who face a more gradual development curve, often hit their primes around the age of 25 when the drafting team may have already run out of patience or can no longer afford to keep them.

It appears that those core beliefs haven’t changed, but the pool of players has.

“There’s just more of them to pick,” said Rutherford. “There will probably be three of them at 12 for us to consider.”

Makes sense that he's just going with BPA. They need help at quite a few positions.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Sorry Ladies and Gentlemen. Today has been a busy day and I didn't get any picks up.

Tomorrow will be a new day and I will try to post several picks (as many as I can).

To hold you over, here is a good TSN video featuring Mika Zibanejad (#10 in my draft)
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; June 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM.

Banned

Fitting that the NJ scout was talking about Zibanejad, because they're gonna take him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Sorry Ladies and Gentlemen. Today has been a busy day and I didn't get any picks up.

Tomorrow will be a new day and I will try to post several picks (as many as I can).

To hold you over, here is a good TSN video featuring Mika Zibanejad (#10 in my draft)
    You're such a tease. I saw you posted and I was like, nice, new picks! Nopeeee.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default The New York Rangers select...

NEW YORK RANGERS - 15th Overall

Team Need(s):
    - Top 6 Skilled Winger
    - Goaltender to groom

Breaking it Down:

Until the recent acquisition of prospect Tim Erixon the Rangers could have used a Top 2 defenseman in their system but Erixon has a chance at becoming that player. The Rangers have solid depth throughout their roster for the first time in a while with prospects Derek Stepan, Mats Zuccarello, and Ryan McDonagh already making the jump successfully and they will be joined by Chris Kreider, Christian Thomas, Evgeny Grachev, Ryan Bourque and Dylan McIlrath in the next wave of blueshirt talent. The New York Rangers are in need of a goaltender who can be groomed as the next starting goaltender but they may prefer to wait until later in the draft to address that need. With their first round selection I think it's safe to say that Sather will be leaning towards a forward.

The Decision:

Sitting in the middle of the first round, Glen Sather confirms with his scouting staff and makes the Rangers' 2011 selection,

"The New York Rangers selects Mark Scheifele from the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League. Welcome to New York Mark!"

Why Mark Scheifele?

Teams either love him or don't. Scheifele is coming off a pretty good Under-18 Tournament and plays a strong overall game. At 6-foot 2-inches, Mark has good size but will need to bulk up to fill out his frame. Scheifele is a good skater, has a great release, owns lots of hockey smarts and can take care of both ends of the rink. The Rangers have a good history of identifying players who work hard who are capable of contributing both offensively and defensively. It's no secret that Tortorello favours players who work extremely hard (see Dubinsky and Callahan) and Scheifele would appreciate the skillset and worth ethic that Scheifele offers the blueshirts.

Mark Scheifele, Barrie Colts (OHL)
    Position: Center

Shoots: Right
    Height: 6'2", Weight: 182 lbs
    Hometown: Kitchener, ON
    66GP-22G-53A-75P

DY as GM: I was quite impressed with Scheifele in his rookie OHL season. If it weren't for Russians Yakupov and Galchenyuk tearing the league apart, Scheifele would have been a strong candidate for the OHL Rookie of the Year. The NHL's Central Scouting Service has Scheifele ranked as the ninth best center in this years' draft class but I definitely like him more than both Vladislav Namestnikov (6th) and Zach Philips (8th). The Rangers should also consider forwards Namestnikov, Jenner, and JT Miller.

Banned

You picked Strome for Ottawa. Well for what it's worth, Strome is apparently scheduled for a round of golf with Bryan Murray and Daniel Alfredsson next week.

By all accounts, he will be an Ottawa Senator if they don't move up to get Landeskog. That will depend if The Alfie approves, though.