Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: DY's 2011 NHL Entry Mock Draft

Dobber Sports Wizard

I think Larsson falls to #4 as well. D-men take longer to develop offensively (like Hedman) so really bad teams (Oilers, Avalanche, Panthers) have to take forwards to improve faster. Also, Avalanche (E. Johnson, Elliott) and Panthers (Kulikov, Gudbranson) already have pretty good young d-men, so they don't necessarily need more.

Also, wouldn't it be a nice story? The Devils go from 8th to 4th and are then able to draft the player who was seriously thought to go 1st overall? Larsson would become the #1 d-man in NJ real soon.

1st - EDM - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
    2nd - COL - Gabriel Landeskog
    3rd - FLA - Jonathon Huberdeau
    4th - NJD - Adam Larsson
    So far, I really like these. But now the difficult decision; do the Islanders take a d-man or a forward?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Based on this mock draft, NYI must decide between Couturier and Hamilton...

By the way, this thread is incredible! Great idea and great input by all of you guys!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default The New York Islanders select...

NEW YORK ISLANDERS - 5th Overall

Team Need(s):
    - Center
    -Defence

Breaking it Down:
    Islanders; General Manager Garth Snow must be getting quite comfortable selecting in the fifth position at entry drafts. With the fifth pick last year, Snow selected Portland Winterhawks' winger Nino Niederreiter strengthing the right wing position. In 2009 the Islanders had a very good draft as they added franchise superstar centerman John Tavares (1st), dependable defenseman Calvin de Haan (12th), goaltender Mikko Koistenen (31st) and energy forward Casey Cizikas (92nd). Snow looked like a genius as he claimed the speedster Michael Grabner from the Florida Panthers and he went on to score 34 goals. The Islanders have drastically improved the look of their organization and at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft they will be looking to draft the BPA.

If there was a weakness in the Islanders' depth chart it might be the defence but with Mark Streit returning from injury and Calvin de Haan expected to make the jump soon it appears the Islanders have sufficient depth. Travis Hamonic, the Isles' 2008 2nd round pick, impressed many last season as he was able to contribute both defensively and offensively in the absence of Streit. Snow acquired defenseman Ty Wishart from Tampa Bay in the Roloson deal last year and he is expected to develop into a dependable big-minute defender. Former Sarnia Sting, Mark Katic, raised a lot of eyebrows as he played well for Bridgeport and was able to make his debut with the Islanders late in the season. Katic should be a decent depth addition to the Islanders blueline. Lastly, defenseman Blake Kessel (Phil's brother) had a strong campaign for New Hampshire notching 27 points in 39 games providing hope for the 2007 6th round draftee. Summarizing, the Islanders' defense should be just fine.

Predicting what Garth Snow will do on draft day is nearly impossible but if the top four picks are gone as I predicted then he will surely be looking at three players to become the next first round selection of the Islanders. Sean Couturier and defensemen Dougie Hamilton and Ryan Murphy will all get long looks from the Islanders' brass. Dougie Hamilton brings a stabilizing element to the defense core as he plays a relatively simple game providing value both offensively and defensively. Kitchener's Ryan Murphy is a riskier selection as his game is a little more one-dimensional. The center position could be filled with a tremendous two-way player like Couturier as he can contribute in all areas of the rink.

The Decision:

Bettman calls Garth Snow and Charles Wang to the podium to make the firth selection of the NHL draft,

"Charles and I are proud to announce that the Islanders select Sean Couturier from the Drummondville Voltigeurs". Wang pipes in, "Pleeeeze, come support us"

Why Sean Couturier?

One year ago many experts had Drummondville centerman Sean Couturier as the favourite to go first overall in the 2011 draft but a year later many people feel he has fell considerably. Couturier's skating has been the biggest criticism from most but It shouldn't be an issue. Former QMJHL star Vinny Lecavalier has never been the greatest skater and he has turned out just fine. Couturier's skating skills are more of a reflection of his playing style as his size allows him to protect the puck using his reach and large body frame rather than simple out skating his opponents. Take a look at many larger forwards who like to protect the puck to create opportunities (Lecavalier, Penner or Thornton) and you will see that by using their reach they don't require the blazing speed to beat guys wide. Sure, it would be awesome if he could do both but with the combination of size and excellent hockey intelligence, Couturier should be a perfect fit for the Islanders' second line center position.

Sean Couturier, Drummondville Voltigeurs (QMJHL)
    Position: Center
    Shoots: Left
    Height: 6`4
    Weight: 197 lbs
    Hometown: Bathurst, NB
    58GP-36G-60A-96P

DY as GM: I would love for the Islanders to swing for the fence here and select Ryan Murphy as Bailey and Frans Nielsen can adequately fill the number two and three center spots just fine. The reward on Murphy's upside is huge and a puck-moving defenseman who can get the puck to players like Tavares, Okposo, Niederreiter, Balley and Grabner would be huge in everyone's development.

Note: Picks from here on out will be much more difficult so I fully expect you guys to give me a hard time Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 28, 2011 at 1:59 PM.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I have to agree with this selection as well. Either Bailey or Couturier would have to play left wing but I don't see it as a problem. Their top 6 would be real solid; Tavares, Okposo, Niederreiter, Grabner, Bailey, Moulson and Couturier... One of them would have to be traded or would play with Nielsen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    I would love for the Islanders to swing for the fence here and select Ryan Murphy as Bailey and Frans Nielsen can adequately fill the number two and three center spots just fine. The reward on Murphy's upside is huge and a puck-moving defenseman who can get the puck to players like Tavares, Okposo, Niederreiter, Balley and Grabner would be huge in everyone's development.
    Yeah, I agree. Maybe they trade down a spot and give Couturier to the Senators?

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Ottawa's on the clock, who do you think they will pick?
    I think they will pick Dougie Hamilton.
    Last edited by Jouko-Pouko; May 28, 2011 at 2:31 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Maybe they trade down a spot and give Couturier to the Senators?
    Sens are next so I won't disclose too much but if trading were allowed in my mock draft then I would FULLY expect Murray to trade up (to get the guy he wants) or trade down (if the players they want are all gone)

Notice to all Readers: Initially I stated that I would try to post two picks per day but it's taking longer than expect so I will be releasing one pick per day for all of the TOP 10 picks. For picks 11-30th, I will release two per day as the writing shouldn't be as indepth.

Thanks for staying patient

Ottawa's on the clock, who do you think they will pick?

Banned

I'll say Dougie Hamilton or Ryan Strome, either/or.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hamilton for me!

I do think that the Sens will trade up. COL, FLO or NYI would be good trading partners...

Banned

Actually give me Strome or Zibanejad.

Dobber Sports Padawan

This is awesome Dean, thanks for all the thought you're putting into it.

The Airborne Attack
    (GFHL - 14 Team Keeper League 2016 Champions)

F: McDavid, Laine, Monahan, Simmonds, van Riemsdyk, Granlund, Schwartz, Kreider, Oshie, Trochek, Bjugstad
    D: Ekman Larsson, Carlson, Ristolainen, Parayko, Skjei, Ekblad, McNabb
    G: Price, Rinne, Halak, Montoya

Farm: Dvorak, Kaprizov, Ritchie, Rattie, Chabot, Carrick, Johns, Hutton, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I'll say Dougie Hamilton or Ryan Strome, either/or.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Actually give me Strome or Zibanejad.
    I think you are onto something Big_Ev

Quote Originally Posted by angelofharlem View Post
    This is awesome Dean, thanks for all the thought you're putting into it.
    Thanks buddy! We will see how happy everyone is after the picks get more difficult to make

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default The Ottawa Senators select...

OTTAWA SENATORS - 6th Overall

Team Need(s):
    - Top 6 Forward

Breaking it Down:
    The Senators sit at one of the most interesting places in the draft order and if it weren’t for New Jersey winning the draft lottery then Ottawa would likely be a little more comfortable as they would be getting one of the top tier players (RNH, Larsson, Landeskog, Couturier or Huberdeau). Four of those players would help fill an organization need for a top six forward while the fifth (Larsson) would be a colossal steal at number five. Don't get me wrong, Ottawa will have the opportunity to draft an extremely talented player at 6th but the decision becomes a little tougher.

Taking a look at Ottawa's potential choices I think you can narrow it down to three of four players who they might consider. The Sens should be considering forwards Ryan Strome and Mika Zibanejad while defensemen Dougie Hamilton and Ryan Murphy have to intrigue Sens' GM Bryan Murray as well. When selecting in the top ten of the draft, it is my belief that General Managers should be targeting the best player available (BPA) regardless of their team’s needs. In this case, Ottawa needs a top six forward but the best players available appear to be both defensemen - Dougie Hamilton and Ryan Murphy.

The defensive prospect depth in Ottawa's prospect pool is among the best in the entire NHL featuring David Rundblad, Jared Cowen, Patrick Weircioch and Erik Karlsson (who made the jump last year). Because of the defensive depth, I believe Ottawa will be very aggressive in trading up to grab one of the aforementioned forwards. Unfortunately for us, this mock draft does not allow for trades so the Ottawa's selection must be made at 6th overall.

The Decision:

Bryan Murray and newly named coach (ahem Dave Cameron *see below) appear at the podium when Bettman calls the team picking at 6th overall to come up to make their selection,

"The Senators would like to thank the city of Minnesota for putting on a great draft event. The Ottawa Senators are ecstatic to make Ryan Strome of the Niagara IceDogs their first round selection of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. Welcome to Ottawa Ryan!"

Why Ryan Strome?

There is always a possibility that Ottawa grabs a defenseman like Dougie Hamilton or Ryan Murphy regardless of their organizational defensive depth but the need for a top six forward is just too significant to make that selection even if it's the right one. It is just another reason why Ottawa will trade up to get their forward or trade down if their targeted forwards are gone. In saying that, if Ottawa selects Ryan Strome they shouldn't be too disappointed as the IceDog forward was sensational in his first full season with Niagara. Over the course of the season, Strome was the fastest rising player in this draft class as he improved his offensive totals by an astonishing 93 points as he was given more responsibility in Niagara. The explosive offensive star has all the skills and intangibles to become an excellent NHLer.

Initially projected to be a second or third round pick, Strome boasts superb skating skills, soft hands and elite vision and with the youngster growing almost two inches over the year his size is no longer a concern. Strome's work ethic and passion for the game are intangibles that appeal to every NHL scout.

Ryan Strome, Niagara IceDogs (OHL)
    Position: Center
    Shoots: Right
    Height: 6'0", Weight: 175 lbs,
    Hometown: Mississauga, ON
    65GP-33G-73A-106P

DY as GM: Again, I am proponent of selecting the BPA and in this case I would select Dougie Hamilton if this was any team other than the Ottawa Senators. If Ottawa cannot move up in the draft and are forced to select at 6th overall then Murray can't be criticized too much for selecting the best FORWARD available ignoring the fact that Dougie Hamilton might be the BPA. The situation is indeed difficult but a good player will be available for the Ottawa franchise. I think it's safe to say that a Niagara IceDog will be selected by Ottawa if the draft plays out as I have predicted.

Side-Tracking: Ottawa is currently in the hunt for a new coach and many people expect Bryan Murray to hire Mississauga Majors and Team Canada 2011 WJC Head Coach Dave Cameron. Eugene Melnyk tipped his hat this past Friday as he guest-starred on the Rogers’ Sportsnet Memorial Cup panel saying (paraphrasing), "You can expect a new Ottawa coach hired within the next ten days".

The Memorial Cup ends later tonight and I fully expect Dave Cameron to be named the next Sens' coach within a week. Dave Cameron is quite familiar with both Niagara players as his Majors play in the same OHL conference and met them eight times in the regular season and five times in the postseason. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM.

Dobber Sports Genius

Makes sense to me. I think you're right about them needing to take the best play available and I can see them trading up. They are not happy with where they are and I think they may still be in sell mode for higher picks.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Banned

I can guarantee you that Dave Cameron won't be the head coach. It just makes no sense for what they're trying to accomplish. I wouldn't have a problem with it, but it's been rumoured that he's a longshot at best.

Banned

PS, good pick. Jason Spezza 2.0 perhaps? lol, I don't think so but they are both from Mississauga.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If the draft shakes out like this there's going to be 5 very happy gm's.