Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: DY's 2011 NHL Entry Mock Draft

Banned

Good picks so far...was kinda hoping that you would have gone backwards though. Ah well.

I'll probably do a mock after the playoffs end.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Good picks so far...was kinda hoping that you would have gone backwards though. Ah well.

I'll probably do a mock after the playoffs end.
    Ideally I would've preferred to release the picks in reverse order but I really don't have the time with work to write them all up in advanced.....pure laziness haha

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Ideally I would've preferred to release the picks in reverse order but I really don't have the time with work to write them all up in advanced.....pure laziness haha
    *revokes vote for DY for GM*

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'm loving this thread Dean. Thanks for all the work you are putting into it.
    12 GM Dynasty League, Weekly H2H
    Skaters - points only.
    Goalies - 2 pts for W, 1 pt for T, 3 pts for SO
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G per week
    Roster size - 31 players max

C - Hischier, R. Thomas, Reinhart, Lundell, Trochek, Horvat, Mittlestadt, Turcotte, McMichael
    LW - Connor, Bratt, verhaeghe, Boldy, Lafreniere, Slafkovsky
    RW - Caufield, Tolvanen, Batherson, Holtz, Podkolzin
    D - Fox, Nurse, Provorov, Perunovich, Lundkvist
    G - Gibson, Binnington, Fleury, Murray, Wallstedt, Annunen, Schmid, Sogaard

Dobber Sports Guru

Great stuff Dean thanks.

*waiting for the next two*

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default New Jersey Devils select...

NEW JERSEY DEVILS - 4th Overall

Team Need(s):

- Franchise Defenseman
    - Top Line Centerman
    - Future Starting Goaltender

Breaking it Down:

"In Lou We Trust" is a slogan that the Devils' organization and its fans have lived by throughout Lou Lamoriello's tenure as General Manager. Lou has found a knack at getting out of tough situations by using his experience and knowledge but he has ran into some luck as well. Most recently, Lamoriello was able to hammer out the extremely long Kovalchuk contract talks and that experience should help him during Zach Parise's RFA contract negotiations this summer. 'Lucky Lou' received some great news on April 12th when the New Jersey Devils were the winners of the 2011 NHL Draft lottery that propelled them up four spots in the draft from eighth to fourth. The Devils have a few areas of need that they need to address and moving up into the fourth spot gaurantees that one of their needs will be met very nicely.

Regardless of who gets picked in the three spots ahead of them, the Devils are gauranteed to add a potential franchise centerman (Nugent-Hopkins, Huberdeau, Couturier) or their franchise defenseman (Larsson, Hamilton or Murphy). The Devils have added some nice prospects over the past few drafts including forwards Tedenby, Cormier, Vasyunov, Zharkov, Josefson, and Henrique. Jon Merrill, Mark Fayne, Matt Taormina, Alexander Urbom and Matt Corrente will be the future defenders and should help out top goaltending prospects Jeff Frazee and Scott Wedgewood.

The Devils are deep on left wing (assuming Parise is retained) with Parise, Kovalchuk and Elias able to play the left side and they will be searching for a true number one center to complement their star wingers. Travis Zajac is capable of playing in the top line center slot but he's more suited for second line duties.

The 2011 draft class does not offer much for starting franchise goaltenders to replace Brodeur and the Devils certainly won't be addressing that need with the fourth overall pick. New Jersey's biggest hole in their roster appears to be a defenseman that can log huge minutes and contribute both offensively and defensively. Ideally, Lamoriello would like to grab a defender who fits that billing and immediately step into the Devils' lineup to help out.

The Decision:

Lou will waste no time as New Jersey makes their selection,

"The New Jersey Devils select Adam Larsson from the Swedish Elite League. Boo Ya!"

Why Adam Larsson?

Larsson is the best available player. Drummondville's Sean Couturier fits their need for a potential number-one centerman but only if he reaches his full potential. In my opinion, it would be foolish for New Jersey to pass on a defenseman of Larsson's calibre if he slides to them. It has been over seven years since New Jersey has had a franchise defenseman after both Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermayer played in their final games as Devils in 2004. Lamoirello will fill that gap that has been sitting there for almost a decade if at all possible.

Adam Larsson, Skelleftea (SEL)
    Position: Defenseman
    Shoots: Right
    Height: 6`3"
    Weight: 220 lbs
    Hometown: Skelleftea, SWE
    37GP - 1G -8A-9P

DY as GM: Larsson is the best defender available in the 2011 draft class and it would be absolutely shocking if Lamoirello passed on the young Swede. If Larsson is off the board, I expect the Devils to look closely at Sean Couturier or Huberdeau. Adam Larsson is the right choice if he's available.

Banned

Don't know why everybody (not just you since you obviously got your info from the people I'm criticizing) keeps listing Huberdeau as a centre. He's a left winger.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Don't know why everybody (not just you since you obviously got your info from the people I'm criticizing) keeps listing Huberdeau as a centre. He's a left winger.
    I know. I know. Ha ha. Definitely a winger but he's played C as well. Recently, Huberdeau has play predominantly LW though (as Ev has mentioned ...again)

That draft lottery was amazing for New Jersey. One of Couturier or Larsson would be phenomenal for them.

Dobber Sports Genius

I'm liking New Jersey's future and if they can get Larsson who can step in this next season, they should have a good season. Presuming they can sign Parise.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Stud

Wondering if you consider Nugent-Hopkins a 'generational talent' like Larsson as you listed him as the bpa at #1?

If Larsson falls to #4 I will eat my hat and be forwarding my fantasy hockey resume to all teams in need of a GM next off-season. No player on the draft board has the experience and skill-set that he does.
    20 Team Pool Points Keeper
    G =1,A=1,PPG=1,PPA=0.5, SHG=1,GWG=1,PIM=0.1,+/-=0.25
    Goalie cats (W=2, SO=3, SV=0.05)

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes
    D: Green, Schultz, Faulk, Goligoski
    G: Crawford

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by slufoot View Post
    Wondering if you consider Nugent-Hopkins a 'generational talent' like Larsson as you listed him as the bpa at #1?

If Larsson falls to #4 I will eat my hat and be forwarding my fantasy hockey resume to all teams in need of a GM next off-season. No player on the draft board has the experience and skill-set that he does.
    I don't think I ever said that Larsson was the bpa at #1.

I agree that Larsson shouldn't fall past 2nd but I don't think Colorado is looking to draft Larsson. They have a stiffy for Landeskog but we will see.

If you read my "DY as GM" part of the Avalanche selection then you will clearly see that i said,

For me, I wouldn't be able to pass on Adam Larsson at number two and would look to address your winger need with the 11th overall pick (Bartschi, Saad or Puempel)
    Larsson should go Top 2. As you stated, he is a generational talent and too good to pass up but the point of the mock draft is to identify what I THINK teams will do. Colorado appears to be want Landeskog (we'll see if that is true) and I think Florida NEEDS a forward to sell to their fans and less of a need for another dman.

I like RNH for Edmonton simply because of the situation that they are in. The Oilers can address their defence at 19th overall OR in 2012 (excellent defence class). I doubt the Oilers can get a player of RNH's calibre at RNH. The Oilers seem locked in on the kid as well.

Mock drafts = pure speculation.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 28, 2011 at 11:07 AM.

Banned

lol why do people keep saying the Colorado has a hard-on for Landeskog? Based on nothing but speculation as nobody in the Avs has ever said that. Their beat writer said they like Landeskog, but now he says they love Huberdeau.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by slufoot View Post

He's projecting to be more of a shut-down D like Hedman. He hasn't really wowed anybody this season either. It's understandable why he might fall.