Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: DY's 2011 NHL Entry Mock Draft

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default DY's 2011 NHL Entry Mock Draft

Dean Youngblood's 2011 Mock Draft

As promised in the Draft Class Hierarchy Series, I will now start the release of my Mock Draft for the 2011 NHL Draft class.

For the next few weeks I will release one or two picks per day attempting to guess (I emphasize the word "guess" since most mock drafts are a crapshoot) how each NHL team will make their selections on June 24th in St. Paul, Minnesota.

For the purpose of this mock draft the selections will be based on my opinion of team needs and (like real drafts) some players may be chosen ahead of "better players" simply because of team needs.

To simplify the mock draft, I will be assuming that NO TRADES will be made (again, not realistic but necessary to avoid confusion).

Enjoy!

1st - EDM - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Red Deer Rebels, WHL)
    2nd - COL - Gabriel Landeskog (Kitchener Rangers, OHL)
    3rd - FLA - Jonathon Huberdeau (Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL)
    4th - NJD - Adam Larsson (Skelleftea, SEL)
    5th - NYI - Sean Couturier (Drummondville Voltigeurs, QMJHL)
    6th - OTT -Ryan Strome (Niagara IceDogs, OHL)
    7th - ATL - Dougie Hamilton (Niagara IceDogs, OHL)
    8th - CLB - Ryan Murphy (Kitchener Rangers, OHL)
    9th - BOS - Duncan Siemens (Saskatoon Blades, WHL)
    10th- MIN - Mika Zibanejad (Djurgardens, SEL)
    11th- COL - Sven Bartschi (Portland Winterhawks, WHL)
    12th- CAR - Nathan Beaulieu (Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL)
    13th- CGY - Mark McNeil (Prince Albert Raiders, WHL)
    14th- DAL - Joel Armia (Assat, SM-Liiga)
    15th- NYR - Mark Scheifele (Barrie Colts, OHL)
    16th- BUF - Boone Jenner (Oshawa Generals, OHL)
    17th- MTL - Jamieson Oleksiak (Northeastern University, NCAA)
    18th- CHI - Zach Phillips (Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL)
    19th- EDM - Joseph Morrow (Portland Winterhawks, WHL)
    20th- PHX - Matt Puempel (Peterborough Petes, OHL)
    21st- OTT - Nicklas Jensen (Oshawa Generals, OHL)
    22nd- ANA - Jonas Brodin (Farjestad, SEL)
    23rd- PIT - Brandon Saad (Saginaw Spirit, OHL)
    24th- DET - Oscar Klefbom (Farjestad, SEL)
    25th- TOR - JT Miller (US Under-18, USHL)
    26th- WSH - Vladislav Namestnikov (London Knights, OHL)
    27th- SJS - Ty Rattie (Portland Winterhawks, WHL)
    28th- TBL - Rocco Grimaldi (US NTDP, USHL)
    29th- TOR* - Brett Ritchie (Sarnia Sting, OHL)
    30th- VAN* - Tomas Jurco (Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL)

31st - EDM - Scott Mayfield (Youngstown, USHL)
    32nd - STL - Alexander Khokhlachev (Windsor Spitfires, OHL)
    33rd - FLA - Connor Murphy (US Under-18, USHL)
    34th - NYI - Tyer Biggs (US Under-18, USHL)
    35th - OTT - Stefan Noesen (Plymouth Whalers, OHL)
    36th - CHI - John Gibson (US Under-18, USHL)
    37th - CLB - Shane Prince (Ottawa, OHL)
    38th - NSH - Rickard Rakell (Plymouth, OHL)
    39th - TOR - Victor Rask (Leksand, SWE-2)
    40th - BOS - David Musil (Vancouver, WHL)
    41st - STL - Dmitri Jaskin (Slavia, CZREP)
    42nd - CAR -Phillip Danault (Victoriaville, QMJHL)
    43rd - CHI - Daniel Catenacci (Sault Ste. Marie, OHL)
    44th - DAL - Ryan Sproul (Sault Ste. Marie, OHL)
    45th - CGY - Stuart Percy (Mississauga, OHL)
    46th - STL - Mario Lucia (Wayzata, MN-HS)
    47th - FLA - Nick Shore (Denver, NCAA)
    48th - OTT - Seth Ambroz (Omaha, USHL)
    49th - LAK - Nikita Kucherov (CSKA2, Russia-Jr)
    50th - NYI - Adam Clendening (Boston University, H-East)
    51st - PHX - Christopher Gibson (Chicoutimi, QMJHL)
    52nd - NSH - Lucas Lessio (Oshawa, OHL)
    53rd - ANA - Matt Nieto (Boston University, H-East)
    54th - PIT - Joseph Lebate (Holy Angels, MN-HS)
    55th - DET - Joachim Lebate (Linkoping Jr., SWE-Jr)
    56th - PHX - Reid Boucher (US U18, USHL)
    57th - CGY - Michael St. Croix (Edmonton, WHL)
    58th - TBL - Myles Bell (Regina, WHL)
    59th - SJS - Miikka Salomaki (Karpat, SM-Liiga)
    60th - VAN - Joel Edmundson (Moose Jaw, WHL)
    61st - OTT (from BOS) - William Karlsson (Vasteras Jr, SWE-Jr)
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; June 16, 2011 at 9:26 PM.

Dobber Sports Expert

Excited for it DY! Keep up the good work.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Nice, I've been waiting for this.

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

This will be a great feature. Looking forward to it DY (and what will follow ) !
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Monster

Thanks DY!! You da man!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Good stuff, looking forward to it!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default one more thing...

To add a little twist to my "mock draft", I will be presenting:

• The player I think the team will select
    and

• In addition, I will include the player I think the team should select under the heading "DY as GM"

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    To add a little twist to my "mock draft", I will be presenting:

• The player I think the team will select
    and

• In addition, I will include the player I think the team should select under the heading "DY as GM"
    Regardless... DY for GM!!!

(love it!)
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Edmonton Oilers select....

EDMONTON OILERS - 1st Overall

Team Need(s):
    - Top Line Center
    - Franchise Defenseman

The first-overall pick of the NHL Entry Draft is a huge advantage but General Manager Steve Tambellini and the Oilers' organization have an extremely important decision to make in order to address their two major areas of need - a franchise defenseman and centerman. As a result, Edmonton's scouting staff likely knows Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (the top centerman) and Adam Larsson (the top defenseman) even better than their own parents.

Breaking it Down:

When Steve Tambellini steps up to the podium to make the Oilers first-overall selection, we will be listening for one of two names - Larsson or Nugent-Hopkins. In 2010-11, the Edmonton Oilers graduated several key prospects within their organization including Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Magnus Paajarvi, Linus Omark and Jeff Petry and the player selected this year could likely become the most significant piece of the puzzle.

Sam Gagner currently sits in the top line center position but his development has been extremely slow. The former London Knight is still very young (21) but at this time he might be better suited as a number two center. On the backend, Ryan Whitney is the team's go-to defenseman but beyond him there is no sign of a "franchise defenseman" in the system. Martin Marcinin, Jeff Petry and Colton Teubert are all good pieces that will complement the forwards well but they could use a defender like Larsson who can do it all.

What is the bigger need? Well, let's find out how it should play out...

The Decision:

"With the first selection of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, the Edmonton Oilers are proud to select from the Red Deer Rebels Ryan Nugent-Hopkins!"

Why Ryan Nugent-Hopkins?

Simple. RNH is the best player available in the 2011 NHL Draft. The dynamic centerman with an insane level of hockey IQ will make every other player that the Oilers have invested in over the past few years that much better. To add, many experts are projecting the 2012 draft class to be one of the deepest drafts when it comes to quality defenseman. The Oilers will have plenty of opportunity to fill their need for a franchise defenseman next season or possibly later in this years draft. You cannot pass up a player of RNH's calibre even if he may take a while to arrive in the NHL.

...Plus, Edmonton hasn't really been that discrete about their love for RNH either.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Red Deer Rebels (WHL)

Position: Centre
    Shoots: Left
    Height: 6'0", Weight: 164 lbs
    Hometown: Burnaby, BC

164GP - 31G - 75A -106P

DY as GM: No debate here. GM Youngblood agrees on the RNH pick.

Note: Don't worry, each pick will not be as thorough as the EDM pick.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 26, 2011 at 6:54 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Colorado Avalanche select....

COLORADO AVALANCHE - 2nd Overall

Team Need(s):
    -Goaltending
    -Wingers

Breaking it Down:

The Avalanche have two quality picks in the first round as they select 2nd and 11th overall. The mile high city could end up with two impact players very early in the draft. Milan Hejduk has stated that he will return for another season but the loyal veteran is getting long in the tooth and Colorado lacks a long term replacement on the right side. The futures of Peter Mueller (concussion) and Tomas Fleischmann (UFA, blood clot) are somewhat unknown but I would expect that GM Greg Sherman would like to keep both wingers. Ryan Stoa has been extremely disappointing after the organization hoped he would develop into a top 6 winger (and he still could) and David Jones has struggled to stay healthy leaving their wings extremely thin.

Last spring, Sherman decided to pull the trigger on a trade that sent top defensive prospect Kevin Shattenkirk and gritty scoring winger Chris Stewart to St.Louis in exchange for star defender Erik Johnson and the 11th overall pick. Earlier in the season, Colorado traded prospect defenseman Colby Cohen to Boston for some immediate blueline help in Matt Hunwick. As a result, these trades (slightly) depleted the long term depth of the blue line. Fortunately, Colorado had previously stacked their defensive depth with top notch prospects like Stafan Elliott (WHL Defenseman of the Year), Cameron Gaunce, Tyson Barrie, Joel Chouinard and Jonas Holos and are in a better position than most teams.

The Biggest Question:

Can the Avalanche afford to pass on a generational talent like Adam Larsson?

The Decision:

Greg Sherman (with Peter Mueller standing beside him wearing dark glasses and foam helmet) makes his selection,
    "With the 2nd pick of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, the Colorado Avalanche select Gabriel Landeskog from the Ontario Hockey League's Kitchener Rangers"

Why Landeskog?

While it is hard to pass on Adam Larsson the Avalanche will solve their biggest need for a top 6 winger and welcome a player with the most intangibles in the draft. And, oh ya, Landeskog could fill that winger void earlier than any other player as he is NHL ready.

Gabriel Landeskog,Kitchener Rangers (OHL)

Position: Right Wing
    Shoots: Left
    Height: 6`0, Weight: 207 lbs
    Hometown: Stockholm, SWE
    53GP-36G-30A-66P

DY as GM:

Every NHL General Manager would love to land Landeskog but I am not ready to make him the 2nd overall selection - especially ahead of Larsson.

To be honest, I would consider taking both Couturier and Huberdeau before Landeskog. Sure, Sherman will likely draft based on need but it's my belief that when you have a pick in the top five selections it is imperative to select the best player available (BPA).

In saying that, Landeskog represents the top winger available in the draft and is surrounded by centerman and defenseman so I can understand the justification in taking him while he is available.

For me, I wouldn't be able to pass on Adam Larsson at number two and would look to address your winger need with the 11th overall pick (Bartschi, Saad or Puempel)
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 26, 2011 at 6:56 PM.

Dobber Sports Genius

Awesome. This is turning into my favorite thread of the site. They probably should go for Larsson since they let Shattenkirk go, but I do see their reasoning to go after Landeskog. He sounds like he's got that maturity that so many teams clamor for from the Swedes like Lidstrom. It should be interesting to see how it goes. Personally, I love the idea of seeing them take Landeskog and who he pairs up with. Statsny or Duchene? That could be fun.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I want more! Haha. Looking good so far Deaner.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    I want more! Haha. Looking good so far Deaner.
    You ask and you will receive

Note: I know I promised two picks per day but tonight I am crunched for time so I will only be releasing Florida's pick. I will catch up and maybe get ahead on the weekend
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 26, 2011 at 8:23 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default The Florida Panthers select...

FLORIDA PANTHERS €“ 3rd Overall

Team Need(s):
    -Franchise Center
    -Depth at all positions

Breaking it Down:

Dale Tallon arrived in Miami just over a year ago (three-hundred seventy-four days to be exact) to take on the vacant position of the Panthers€™ General Manager and he quickly cleaned house in hopes of a fresh start.

At the 2010 Entry Draft, Dale Tallon and his staff selected the feisty Erik Gudbranson with the third overall pick and then proceeded to stock the cupboards in the first two rounds as he snatched power forward Nick Bjugstad (19th), sniper Quinton Howden (25th), speedster John McFarland (33rd) and defenseman Alex Petrovic (36th) who had an impressive 57points and 140 PIM for Red Deer this season. Add those players to the young core of Markstrom, Kulikov, Mathias, Repik, Robak, Dadonov, Drew Shore and Garrett Wilson and the Panthers have one of the best prospect groups in the NHL and are headed in the right direction. However, the rebuild will take some time so it€™s essential for Tallon and his scouting staff to pick a player to grow (and maybe lead) this young group of players.

When Tallon was with the Blackhawks organization he had some tough decisions to make but it appears that he made the correct calls. In 2006, Tallon was deciding between Jonathon Toews, Phil Kessel and Niklas Backstrom and finally made the eventual Stanley Cup captain Toews his third overall selection. One year later, Chicago had the first overall selection and were debating between number-one ranked Kyle Turris, number-two ranked Patrick Kane and third-ranked James van Riemsdyk. Patrick Kane was named the first overall selection in 2007 and Tallon now looks smart after passing on Turris.

Fast forward to June 24th in St. Paul, Minnesota and Tallon is discussing their options. To me, it comes down to three players for the Florida Panthers - Adam Larsson (D), Sean Couturier ( C) and the quickly rising Jonathon Huberdeau (LW/C). Experts believe that Florida will opt for a franchise forward which has people leaning towards Couturier or Huberdeau but can another team let Adam Larsson slip further?

The Decision:

Dale Tallon arrives at the podium to make the 3rd overall selection,

"(Under his breath he mutters, 'F*©& you Stan!') uh hum, On behalf of the fans of the Florida Panthers, we are proud to select from the Saint John Sea Dogs Jonathon Huberdeau"

Why Jonathon Huberdeau?

It is a gut feeling. Huberdeau brings an exciting dynamic game that Florida desperately needs. The Panthers need a player to sell to their fan base and Huberdeau has the skills to excite the fans. Behind Nugent-Hopkins, Huberdeau may have the next best set of hands of this draft class. In the future, Florida could be icing an extremely dangerous line with Huberdeau and Dadonov flanking Bjugstad.

Jonathon Huberdeau, Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)
    Position: Centre
    Shoots: Left, Height: 6'1"
    Weight: 170 lbs
    Hometown: Laval, QC

67GP-43G-62A-105P

DY as GM:
    Tallon has been fairly successful at identifying talent and there is a good chance that he goes with the "safer" pick in Larsson or Couturier but if Huberdeau becomes Florida's third overall pick then I cannot argue his decision. Huberdeau plays well at both ends of the rink and has proven that he can step it up in big games and that is the exact type of player Tallon should be adding to his roster that doesn't really have a "game breaker" at this point. Huberdeau is a gamebreaker who will make his teammates better with his superb playmaking skills. It is tough to pass on Larsson (again) but I feel that Florida has to.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 26, 2011 at 8:32 PM.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Dude I am buying what you are selling! This post has lots of flavor and it keep me coming back for more.