Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [OHL Ramblings] 2011 Off-Season Thread

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I was in attendance to watch the Sarnia Sting's opening day scrimmages.

My observations below. I have highlighted players of special interest with the colour red

Thoughts from morning scrimmages:

Team Black seemed stacked on paper but ended up losing 8-5.

Team White Roster
    Goaltenders:
    Ben Maxwell (played 1st period) - He wasnt tested much but played big in his net and looked good vs. Hope (at the other end)
    Sean Parker (played 2nd) - Parker was also solid in net and made a few big saves against the Yakupov line
    Matthieu Verreault (Played 3rd) - similar game to Parker

Defence
    Alex Basso - had a very impressive game. I was pleased with his well rounded play as he seemed to make very few mistakes.
    Daniel Broussard - steady eddy as usual
    Julian Luciani - He's a great pickup for the Sting and was very good in the morning scrimmage. He was caught out of position a few times but he played well at both ends of the rink. He'll eat a lot of minutes for Sarnia
    Michael Wolley - no opinion/not really noticeable
    Kyle Paat - no opinon
    Braxton Andrews - I didn't realize he was there until I checked the roster. I can't see him on the roster this year
    Ryan Zupancic - He was alright but did nothing spectacular (kind of his game anyways). The biggest flaw was him backing down to Thomas when challenged to a fight. He needs to fight to make this team (literally)
    Mike Dipaolo - Was involved in the only fight of the game (vs. Justice Dundas) and probably came out on top (he did have a good size advantage)

Forwards:
    Taylor Carnevale - played mostly with Ritchie and Rensfeldt and usually matched up against the Yakupov line. He's a veteran and you can tell.
    Charlie Sarault - Sarault was one of the more impressive players on Team White. He snipped a few goals and was strong in all areas of the ice
    Jack Nevins - scored a nice backhand roof goal.
    Nick Latta - He played his game (not flashy) but wasn't as good as I think he needs to be to make this team. I was left wanting more from Latta (again)
    Ludvig Rensfeldt (Chicago)- It took a few periods for Rensfeldt's game to get going but once it arrived he was very noticeable. He played with Carneval and Ritchie (likely 2nd line) and displayed his soft hands and playmaking ability quite a few times. He's a lot bigger than I initially thought.
    Adam Arsenault - The winger from Lambton Shores (Jr.B) was fantastic for a walk-on. He was all over the ice and didn't make one bad play that I had noticed. Based on the morning skate, he'd be the surprise player of the day for me. Even with a great game it will be tough to crack this roster as a walk-on.
    Nicholas Neal - I am assuming he's related to former sting Michael Neal? Tall, good skater but pretty much just went through the motions each shift
    Brett Ritchie (Dallas)- He's clearly in the top 6 and showed a great knack for working the front of the net.
    Davis Brown - I was left wanting more from Brown. He tried using his speed wide but it was apparent that he had trouble getting to the front of the net.
    Cody Trowell - no comment/no opinion
    Alexandre Gendron - not too noticeable
    Liam Gillooly - not too noticeable
    Jake Wright - not too noticeable/no opinion
    Roman Uchyn - big body from Illinois who played a gritty game. He definitely has potential to be an energy player down the road but he's a longshot
    Mikey Soucier - small, small, small. He was out of his league at this training camp but since he's a '95 there's lots of room for development left. Good skater with decent hands.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; August 29, 2011 at 1:32 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Continued....

TEAM BLACK ROSTER:

Goaltenders:
    Brandon Hope - Hope was tested often and played a solid game. I loved how vocal he was on the ice. His athletic ability is unreal and once he finds a way to settle his game down (sometimes over commits) a bit he will be a fantastic goaltender. I like Hope as our starter more than Maxwell but both had good games so I see a 1A/1B type of scenario this season.

Gunner Rivers - I feel a little bit for Gunner as he was shellshocked in his period of play. Fortunately, Rivers held his own and made a few of the game's best saves

Brodie Barrick - Played a solid game but nothing to praise or criticize about at this moment in time

Defence:
    Derek Diaz - no opinion
    Nathan Chiarlitti - The sting captain played solid (as usual)
    Joshua Chapman - Made a few nice hits and played well in all of his shifts.
    Jack Kuzmyk - I noticed Kuzmyk a few times but it was mostly because I felt he was trying to do too much and as a result was caught out of position. Kuzmyk was a decent skater and will make a good depth defenseman onthis team
    Anthony DeAngelo - The 15 year old was the first player who "wow'd" me. The kid has off-the-charts patience with the puck and is going to be an absolute gem for the Sting. I didn't notice him as much in the latter two periods but he oozes confidence and his puck skills are a rare commodity for a defender. I can definitely see why the Ryan Ellis/Ryan Murray comparisons are being made
    Joey Benvenuto - If Arsenault was the surprise player for Team White then Benvenuto was the player who surprised me for Team Black. He wasn't flashy but his game was steady for a smaller defenseman (walk-on from Upper Canada). I am guessing he impressed more than myself there with a solid all-around game by making only a few mistakes (transitions were slow at times)
    Ben Pataki - no opinion

Forwards:

Nail Yakupov (2012)- Surprise, surprise - Nail was absolutely dominant walking through 3-4 players at times. The more I watch him the more I am impressed. IMO, there is no way that Nail Yakupov doesn't go 1st overall next June. Yakupov and Galchenyuk showed great chemistry with sniper Reid Boucher as the trio combined for a few highlight real goals.

JC Campagna - I cannot believe I am saying this but....JC was one of the better players on the ice today. He showed the talent that the Sting probably drafted him on. His compete level was up (rare) and he carried his line on most shifts. If JC played like that last year there is no doubt that he would've been an NHL draft pick.

Reid Boucher (New Jersey)- Reid was a sleeper of mine in this past draft and after watching him live today I am convinced that he's a dandy. Great late round steal for the Sting. Simply put - Reid Boucher is a pure sniper. I can definitely see Reid finishing 2nd in team scoring this year and as a result Yakupov's assist totals should skyrocket (as I tweeted earlier)
    Daniel Kikandrov - I wanted to see more from Nikandrov but he just didn't do too much this morning.
    Jake Milligan - I noticed Milligan quite a bit but unfortunately it was mostly because of his awful skating stride. I haven't seen a stride like that in a long time. However, I was impressed with the late round pick's effort. He showed up and was competing hard every shift
    Justice Dundas - Dropped the mitts and fared well in the games only fight. I think he's going to become a fan favourite in Sarnia.
    Justin Thomas - Now, here is a solid all-around forward who's going to fit perfectly on the 3rd line. I loved the style he played with as he wasn't afraid to get his nose dirty. Good skater with good hands.
    Louie Rowe - Huge kid at 6'5" so he was easy to spot on the ice. He played well back in the spring for the mini camp but wasn't as noticeable among the players this time around. He's a player with definite potential but I think he played a bit timid today.
    Nicholas Sproviero - Another small '95 born player who is going to need more development.
    Ryan Kujawinski (Sting 1st Round pick - 6th) - I was very excited to see Kujawinski play today but was left extremely disappointed. He's a lanky kid with good skating ability but he looked a bit overwhelmed. I was hoping to see the jitters wear off as the game progressed but that didn't happen. Hopefully he will work his way through things in this afternoon's scrimmage and through tomorrow's games. He bobbled a lot of passes this morning.
    Alex Talcott - scored a late goal for Team Black in a goal mouth scramble
    Colton Pickett - no opinion
    Billy Exell - no opinion
    Nathan Mater - formed a pretty solid third line today with JC and Thomas. Plays a good all around game with some grittiness
    Alex Galchenyuk (2012)- He has some tremendous chemistry with Nail. It's too bad that they won't be going to the same NHL team. Alex showed why he's going to be a top pick in next year's NHL Entry draft as he's one of the team's best skaters and has unreal hockey sense.

I won't be able to attend this afternoon's scrimmage (@2pm) but I hope to get to tomorrow morning's scrimmage and Tuesday's Black and White game.

I tweeted my thoughts from the morning scrimmage today and will do the same tomorrow if I attend.
    Follow @rossyyoungblood
    I was using the hashtag #stingcamp

Not dressed this morning were: Connor Murphy, Craig Hottot (unable to find out why), Patrick Harrison and Dominic Alberga

As I tweeted earlier, if the camp indicates anything then Sarnia's top two lines will likely be:

Yakupov - Galchenyuk - Boucher
    Rensfeldt - Carnevale - Ritchie

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Few tidbits:

Sting Camp Updates - After attending Sarnia's training camp festivities last night with the wife, Yakupov and Galchenyuk look strong and more confident with each passing shift. Galchenyuk put on a stickhandling show with less than a minute left as he danced around 3-4 players to feed Nail the puck who scored with less than 13 seconds remaining in the Black & White game to give their team the 5-4 win. Fantastic stuff. If Sarnia comes to your OHL town - do not miss the opportunity to watch these two live. Video doesn't justify their dominance and skill sets.

- The additions of NHL draft picks Reid Boucher (NJD) and Ludvig Rensfeldt (CHI) will be extremely important. Boucher is one of the purest snipers I have seen and he will challenge Yakupov this year for the goal scoring lead (likely will fall short though). Rensfeldt played with newly acquired OHL veteran Taylor Carnevale and Brett Ritchie (DAL) and gives the Sting another big body (6'3") who skates well, uses his frame well and is one of the best playmakers on the team.

NCAA vs. Jr Hockey - ESPN's new hire, Craig Custance, wrote an interesting piece on the battle between NCAA Hockey and OHL recruitment. Check it out.

OHL Training Camps- Most OHL camps are underway already and the exhibition season is upon us. Remember that most of these camps are free of charge to attend so it's a great way to get a hockey fix in late August/Early September.

Max Domi Traded - Surprise! Surprise! Max Domi's trade to the London Knights has been made official. London acquires yet another star player (for cheap). The return to Kingston is three second round draft picks (Erie 2012, Guelph 2012 and their own 2015). Check out the history of the Max Domi trade here

-

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Another huge trade in the OHL today this time involving Niagara and Windsor

Niagara's 1st round selection in the 2011 OHL Priority draft, defenseman Adam Bateman, has been dealt to the Windsor Spitfires for Peterborough's 2014 2nd, Sarnia's 2015 2nd, Windsor's 3rds in 2015 and 2016 and a conditional 2016 pick (if Bateman plays an overrage season).

Huge return for Adam Bateman - moreso than Max Domi really.

Breakdown of the trade here

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I heard the conditional pick is if Bateman even plays just 1 game in his overage season.

Factor in the fact that Niagara gets there compensation first rounder next year, and I think it's a complete steal for the Ice Dogs

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
    I heard the conditional pick is if Bateman even plays just 1 game in his overage season.

Factor in the fact that Niagara gets there compensation first rounder next year, and I think it's a complete steal for the Ice Dogs
    You are correct my friend

Dobber Sports Genius

What do you think of the trade Kitchener made to get Max Iafrate? I've heard good things about Iafrate's son and was curious as to what kind of player he is and if he is an NHL talent in the making or not. I loved watching Al when I was a kid.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by tgraveline View Post
    What do you think of the trade Kitchener made to get Max Iafrate? I've heard good things about Iafrate's son and was curious as to what kind of player he is and if he is an NHL talent in the making or not. I loved watching Al when I was a kid.
    Great acquisition for the former 15th overall pick in the 2010 OHL Priority Selection. The cost was only two 3rd round picks (2015 and 2016) for the gritty defenseman. Iafrate wasn't getting the ice time on a deep Plymouth team and it will be great to see how he takes advantage of the change of scenery.

More OHL News:

Check out the OHL Exhibition Schedule/Results here

Ludvig Rensfelt - Lots of hype about Yakupov and Galchenyuk in Sarnia as they enter their draft year but don't forget about some other key acquisitions the Sting made too in the offseason. Their first round import pick, Chicago Blackhawks' 2010 2nd round pick Ludvig Rensfeldt was quite impressive in training camp and he adds great talent to the second line. Good video of him here

London Knights
    Good things coming out of London especially after the long awaited acquisition of Max Domi from Kingston.
    Rob Schremp tweeted earlier,
    Max Domi is going to make a mess of the O.H.L. this season. Has nhl skill already and he's only 16. Looks like a mini crosby out there
    London also has Jared Knight (supposedly in the best shape of his life), Namestnikov (who has apparently looked fantastic in preseason action), first round draft pick Bo Horvat (who led all of minor midgets in Ontario scoring last season) and first round import pick Olli Maatta on the backend.

Good video on a young inexperienced Knights forward roster with lots of scoring potential.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; September 5, 2011 at 9:51 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I think I will be heading to London for Thursday night to catch the Knights vs. Rangers game and then to Sarnia Friday night for the Sting vs. Spirit.

Let me know if there are any players you'd like me to keep an eye out for. Not all players are gauranteed to play so I may not catch them all.

Dobber Sports Ninja

The Sting could really use a big year and a long playoff run just for their fans' sake. Is the issue with them making a long run goaltending?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    The Sting could really use a big year and a long playoff run just for their fans' sake. Is the issue with them making a long run goaltending?
    Goaltending is a huge question mark given the struggles of overager Brandon Maxwell and the uncertainty with the youthful Brandon Hope (who I am a huge fan of - good agility and a fighter between the pipes).

Defence is still another big question mark especially with the injury to Connor Murphy (who's out for awhile). Beaulieu added some good defenseman (Basso,Luciani, DeAngelo) but their defensive game is still a little unknown. I fully expect them to add another true defender.

The fan base should improve this year but Sarnia needs the fans to stick around longer than just this season. It needs to be competitive for more than just this year for the fan base to improve.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    I think I will be heading to London for Thursday night to catch the Knights vs. Rangers game and then to Sarnia Friday night for the Sting vs. Spirit.

Let me know if there are any players you'd like me to keep an eye out for. Not all players are gauranteed to play so I may not catch them all.
    I'm mainly looking forward to your Rensfeldt observations this year. Drafted him in my fantasy league last season and I'd like to know a little more of what I got. And of course Yakupov and Galchenyuk since I'm looking to get at least one of them next season.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    I'm mainly looking forward to your Rensfeldt observations this year. Drafted him in my fantasy league last season and I'd like to know a little more of what I got. And of course Yakupov and Galchenyuk since I'm looking to get at least one of them next season.
    You will definitely get lots of observations on the Sting players.

From what I have seen so far, Rensfeldt (who I also own in a league) has good size and is a good skater. He appears to stay to the perimeter but I think he could thrive in the OHL by utilizing his size more. The playmaking swede has good hands and will likely see 2nd PP minutes and it seems that Beaulieu is trying him with veterans Ritchie and Carnevale on Sarnia's second line.

He has good instincts and I am hoping he learns to get his nose dirty a bit more than what I observed in camp. I am sure there will be a small transition time with Rensfeldt.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Good article in The Observer (Sarnia Daily newspaper) regarding the hype surrounding the Sting this season. Coach Beaulieu attempts to temper the hype which is nice to see.

http://www.theobserver.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3288300

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The BMO CHL Mastercard Top 10 Rankings have been released and three OHL teams have made the list.

BMO CHL MasterCard Top 10 Rankings – Week 1

1. Saint John Sea Dogs
    2. Niagara IceDogs
    3. Portland Winterhawks
    4. Shawinigan Cataractes
    5. Plymouth Whalers
    6. Quebec Remparts
    7. Kelowna Rockets
    8. Sarnia Sting
    9. Red Deer Rebels
    10. Victoriaville Tigres

Honourable Mention: