Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [OHL Ramblings] 2011 Off-Season Thread

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I am a little late to the party here (at a cottage until late last night) but Sarnia has officially added another fantastic player in Reid Boucher (NJD 2011 Draftee). Boucher is a pure sniper and is another player leaving the NCAA to join the OHL. Boucher had initially decided to play at Michigan State.

Here's a quick (literally) goal he scored playing at the U-18 WC last year for Team USA

Sarnia's Line-up is becoming quite stacked

Yakupov (potential '12 1st overall pick) - Galchenyuk (potential '12 top 10 pick) - Ritchie ('11 DAL 2nd Rd Pick)

Boucher ('11 NJD 4th Rd Pick) - Taylor Carneval (PPG undrafted overager)- Rensfeldt ('10 CHI 2nd Rd Pick)

Plus add in...
    - forward Kujawinski (Sting 1st Rd Pick - 4th overall)
    - defensemen DeAngelo (gifted offensive dman recruited from USHL), Connor Murphy ('11 PHX 1st Rd pick)
    - goaltenders Brandon Hope ('12 draft eligible) and Brandon Maxwell ('09 COL 6th Rd pick)

Sarnia now only has 7 players from their starting team left on their roster from last year (Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Ritchie, Hottot, Hope, Chiarlitti and Broussard)

New GM/Coach Jacques Beaulieu has made 12 trades since his arrival in Sarnia. Talk about making a team "your own"

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Dean,

by your count how many NCAA players have moved to the O this off-season? Oleksiak from DAL comes to mind, but I feel there is at least another I read about.
    GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    RW: Troy Brouwer, Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Cole, Shane Doan, Jackob Silfverberg
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPuckCanuck View Post
    Dean,

by your count how many NCAA players have moved to the O this off-season? Oleksiak from DAL comes to mind, but I feel there is at least another I read about.
    Hmmmmmm...you are challenging me haha

De-Commitments:

JT Miller (F) left North Dakota for Plymouth
    Jamie Oleksiak (D) left Northeastern for Saginaw
    Reid Boucher (F) left Michigan State for Sarnia
    John Gibson (G) left Michigan for Kitchener
    Connor Murphy (D) left Miami for Sarnia

I am sure I am missing a few. I will do some more digging. I fully expect some more kids to follow suit as I have heard rumblings that Sarnia is working on a few unsigned players

One player to watch for is Tyler Biggs (TOR) who is property of Oshawa.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

JT Miller! That's the other I was thinking of.

Great list. Thank you. If you find more, I'd be interested in seeing those.

Is there any reason why were seeing more and more of this? Are NHL teams looking at products of NCAA and feeling that it isn't the same quality as the O? Did Bozak shy everyone away from NCAA players?? lol
    GMHL Dynasty
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Mike Ribeiro, Patrik Elias, Tyler Johnson, Stephen Weiss, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll
    LW: Gabriel Landeskog, Mats Zuccarello, Marcus Johansson, RJ Umberger, Matt Cooke, Justin Abdelkader
    D: Dustin Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook, Joni Pitkanen, Erik Gudbranson, Matt Carle, Dmitri Orlov, Seth Jones, Hampus Lindholm
    G: Henrik Lundqvist, Anton Khudobin, Jason LaBarbera, Devan Dubnyk, Anders Lindback

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPuckCanuck View Post
    JT Miller! That's the other I was thinking of.

Great list. Thank you. If you find more, I'd be interested in seeing those.

Is there any reason why were seeing more and more of this? Are NHL teams looking at products of NCAA and feeling that it isn't the same quality as the O? Did Bozak shy everyone away from NCAA players?? lol
    The main reason is probably because NHL teams and the players are seeing the CHL as a better league to prepare their players for the rigors of the NHL. The CHL plays 67 games a year while the NCAA Division I teams play 39 games. The CHL is a tougher league to play in for the most part as well. I think that's the main reason as it provides a chance to "fast-track" their prospects.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    The main reason is probably because NHL teams and the players are seeing the CHL as a better league to prepare their players for the rigors of the NHL. The CHL plays 67 games a year while the NCAA Division I teams play 39 games. The CHL is a tougher league to play in for the most part as well. I think that's the main reason as it provides a chance to "fast-track" their prospects.
    That makes a ton of sense. They get an additional 28 games in nearly the same time span. I'd argue the only real upperhand NCAA has over the OHL is that the players are older/bigger (for the most part) and would porbably give more of the NHL size/speed feel. Similar to what teams hope their players get in their stints with the AHL.
    GMHL Dynasty
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

As expected, Sarnia has signed their import pick Ludvig Rensfeldt (2nd Round Draft pick, 35th overall, of the Chicago Blackhawks in 2010)

Beaulieu explains his thoughts on being able to sign Rensfeldt to play for the Sting.
    “This is another very exciting announcement for our hockey club. I had the opportunity to watch Ludvig play in person a few weeks ago at Chicago’s development camp and had the chance to discuss with him the possibility of playing for our club this season. Ludvig is a very good skater to go along with his large frame and is a skilled forward. This just adds to what we feel is a very talented, deep group of forwards we have assembled. ”

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The OHL has decided to umove their OHL Priority Selection Draft up a month to April 7, 2012

Dobber Sports Padawan

Talking

Hey dean, Hope all is well?
    Just started doing my split with friends for our Colts tickets, of course my first pick 3rd overall grabbed Sarnia in barrie in February!!!!
    Just wondering if you have seen any season OHL rankings yet? I have tried to find on line, and can't seem to find them? can you help me out?
    i know we'll have another tough year, but not as bad as last, but here it goes,
    "Go Colts Go"
    Thanks for the help.
    16 team league, Weekly changes
    32 Players play 20, 2 Goalies, 6 Def, 12 Fwd
    2*G,1*a,+/-*.5,.2* pim
    4*W,-1*L,1*OTL,5*SO
    17 Keepers
    Keepers marked with*
    auto protect under 40 Games
    Goal
    Vejmelka, Markstrom, Forsberg, Alnefelt,
    Ukko-Pekka Luukkoonen
    Defence
    Slavin, Pietrangelo, Girard, Hague, Joseph,
    Matheson, Brannstrom, Jokiharju, Parayko
    Forward
    Gaudreau*, Tuch, Garland, Mangiapane, L’Hereux
    Aho*, McCann, Necas, Stephenson, Zacha,
    Marchessault*, Stone, Reilly Smith, Hall,
    Giroux, Landeskog, Rodrigues, Reilly Smith, Yamamoto

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by JAC123 View Post
    Hey dean, Hope all is well?
    Just started doing my split with friends for our Colts tickets, of course my first pick 3rd overall grabbed Sarnia in barrie in February!!!!
    Just wondering if you have seen any season OHL rankings yet? I have tried to find on line, and can't seem to find them? can you help me out?
    i know we'll have another tough year, but not as bad as last, but here it goes,
    "Go Colts Go"
    Thanks for the help.
    I haven't came across any predictions as of yet. If I do I will surely post them here for you to see. The OHL releases a media guide before the season starts and I will post that (interesting read).

Off the top of my head, I can do a quick rundown of what the standings might look like (at the moment). There are still a ton of changes that could happen between now and the start of the season.

Western Conference:

1. Plymouth Whalers (very deep team loaded with talent especially in net)
    2. Saginaw Spirit
    3. Sarnia Sting (could give all of the above a run but since Plymouth is in the same division Sarnia falls to 4th; defence is a bit suspect still especially with the injury to Connor Murphy)
    4. London Knights (young but strong goaltending; will benefit from weak divsion)
    5. Sault Saint Marie Greyhounds
    6. Kitchener Rangers
    7. Owen Sound Attack (expected to lose quiet a few vets)
    8. Windsor Spitfires (rebuilding team; training camp will decide a lot of open spots)
    9. Erie Otters
    10. Guelph Storm (you'd be hardpressed to find anyone predicting anywhere other than last in the West; they have lost all their scoring vets - Beck, Latta, Holland, Panik are all gone)

Eastern Conference: (I am less familiar with this conference)

1. Oshawa Generals (Jensen, Thomas, Jenner, Laughton, Lessio to name a few forwards)
    2. Peterborough Petes (improved tremendously IMO)
    3. Niagara IceDogs (Strome, Hamilton, Visentine, F. Hamilton should all help assuming most of these guys are back)
    4. Ottawa 67's
    5. Sudbury Wolves (always work hard and will remain in the mix)
    6. Mississauga St.Michael's Majors (losing some players from last year team but should stay afloat with Percy, JP Anderson, and possibly Devante Smith-Pelly)
    7. Belleville Bulls
    8. Brampton Battalion
    9. Barrie Colts (I think this team will be in a battle for the last playoff spot b/t Belleville, Kingston and Brampton)
    10. Kingston Frontenacs (will Max Domi report or be traded? Erik Gudbranson is likely gone and if Spooner makes Boston then this team is hurting)

For me, the most exciting teams to watch will be Plymouth, Sarnia, London, and Saginaw in the West while Peterborough, Oshawa, Niagara and Sudbury will be the teams to watch in the East. Be sure to see Sarnia and Plymouth if they come to town. It's worth buying a ticket even if your buddy took that game already.

I may do a more indepth analysis once training camps wrap up and rosters start to get finalized.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; August 23, 2011 at 10:21 AM.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot as always Dean,
    It is a pleasure reading your stuff.
    Your right though, we do a 3 way split on games, and I usually by 4-6 more to get the other teams I wanted.
    Appreciate the help.
    Cheers
    16 team league, Weekly changes
    32 Players play 20, 2 Goalies, 6 Def, 12 Fwd
    2*G,1*a,+/-*.5,.2* pim
    4*W,-1*L,1*OTL,5*SO
    17 Keepers
    Keepers marked with*
    auto protect under 40 Games
    Goal
    Vejmelka, Markstrom, Forsberg, Alnefelt,
    Ukko-Pekka Luukkoonen
    Defence
    Slavin, Pietrangelo, Girard, Hague, Joseph,
    Matheson, Brannstrom, Jokiharju, Parayko
    Forward
    Gaudreau*, Tuch, Garland, Mangiapane, L’Hereux
    Aho*, McCann, Necas, Stephenson, Zacha,
    Marchessault*, Stone, Reilly Smith, Hall,
    Giroux, Landeskog, Rodrigues, Reilly Smith, Yamamoto

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Here's a good article over at Yahoo! on some games you won't want to miss

Save the Date

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Is trading currently allowed or do teams need to wait for training camp to start?

Curious as to when the Domi trade goes through.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
    Is trading currently allowed or do teams need to wait for training camp to start?

Curious as to when the Domi trade goes through.
    Trading opened up earlier in the week.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ah, so I guess that means no news on the Domi front yet then.