Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [OHL Ramblings] 2011 Off-Season Thread

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Two OHL coaches promoted to the NHL. Dave Cameron and Mark Reeds are new assistant coaches in Ottawa.
    Thanks. It appears the Ottawa connection with Cameron came through (albeit wasn't for the head job).

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Some more updates:

"5 OHL Stars to Watch in the NHL Draft" - No mention of Ritchie? BS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The CHL import draft was conducted today and I wanted to keep you posted on a few names selected

1. London Knights (OHL) - Olli Maatta
    2. Quebec Remparts (QMJHL) - Mikael Grigorenko (favourite for 2012 draft)
    3. Calgary Hitmen (WHL) - Victor Rask (selected by CAR last week in the NHL Entry Draft)

Keep an eye on these players specifically on whether they report. I would be interested to see how Rask does in the WHL and Grigorenko in the Q.

I will talk about more of the CHL Imports later but for a full list click here

Dobber Sports Ninja

Been reading conflicting reports, but sounds like Grigorenko is maybe only 25% to come over. His agent is advising him not to but he hasn't decided yet?

Maatta looks like a pure phenom though!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Just a few updates. There isn't a lot going on except for players committing to teams.

2012 World Junior Championship
    - Schedule has been released (Alberta)

CHL/OHL Representation in 2011 NHL Entry Draft
    - 101 CHL players were selected in the NHL Entry Draft last month which is nearly 48% of the 211 players. Of the 101 CHLers, 46 of them came out of the Ontario Hockey League. Details here

Every NHL team with the exception of the Washington Capitals selected at least one CHL player with the Detroit Red Wings and the Ottawa Senators leading the way with six CHL players each.
    To compare with last year,
    Last season, 107 CHL players were taken in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft led by 43 WHL players, followed by 42 from the OHL, and 22 from the QMJHL.
    Sarnia Sting News
    - The Sting are going to be the team to watch for the 2011-12 OHL season. Jacques Beaulieu came in as the new GM/Coach and has already made 7 trades putting a new face on the franchise by adding some key players (G-Ben Maxwell and F- Taylor Carnevale) and shipping out some underachievers (D-Rogalski, F- Francisco).

"Trader Jack" has also convinced Anthony DeAngelo to join the Sting. DeAngelo was their 2nd round pick this year but owned top 10 talent but teams stay cleared of him because they didn't believe he'd report. Today, Phoenix Coyote first round pick Connor Murphy (D) came to Sarnia to receive a tour in hopes of bringing him aboard this season as well. Time will tell if Murphy reports but if Sarnia brings him aboard - watch out!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Updating with a few important news bits:

- JT Miller (NYR's 2011 1st Round pick) is rumoured to be backing out of his commitment to UND to join the OHL's Plymouth Whalers. An announcement is expected on Saturday.

- Alex Galchenyuk (one of those 2012 highly touted "Russians") is going to be representing Team USA (the country he wants to play for) at the 2011 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament in August.

Check out the OHL press release
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; July 15, 2011 at 12:33 AM.

Banned

Stefan Noesen and JT Miller will be unreal!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Stefan Noesen and JT Miller will be unreal!
    Don't forget about Rickard Rakell too. IMO, Rakell plays such an important role for the Whalers and his absence was one of the reasons Plymouth struggled to advance in the playoffs

Plymouth is putting together a good team. I definitely won't be missing the games when they come to Sarnia.

The West Division has improved dramatically over the offseason. Plymouth, Sault Ste. Marie and Sarnia have made fantastic moves. Add in Saginaw (Saad, Trochek, Telegin, and McFarland) and Windsor (Kuhnhackl, Rychel, Khoklachev, and Ebert) rounds out a fantastic division.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Don't forget about Rickard Rakell too. IMO, Rakell plays such an important role for the Whalers and his absence was one of the reasons Plymouth struggled to advance in the playoffs

Plymouth is putting together a good team. I definitely won't be missing the games when they come to Sarnia.

The West Division has improved dramatically over the offseason. Plymouth, Sault Ste. Marie and Sarnia have made fantastic moves. Add in Saginaw (Saad, Trochek, Telegin, and McFarland) and Windsor (Kuhnhackl, Rychel, Khoklachev, and Ebert) rounds out a fantastic division.
    And hopefully Guelph finishes dead last.

The last thing we need is to be semi-competitive and miss out of a top prospect.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
    And hopefully Guelph finishes dead last.

The last thing we need is to be semi-competitive and miss out of a top prospect.
    Lucky for you, I can't see Guelph being good at all this season.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Our best returning player (pts wise) is Cody McNaughton

Now don't get me wrong, I love Cody, he's a real heart and soul player. But this season is going to be disastrous. We don't even really have the guys to trade for picks like other rebuilding teams do.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The OHL's Saginaw Spirit have apparently signed defenseman Jamie Oleksiak (DAL 2011 1st Rd Pick).

The OHL season keeps getting better. I haven't seen a lot of Oleksiak but with Saginaw in Sarnia's division I will get to watch him a lot.

The West Division keeps getting stronger.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The Sarnia Sting have hit a rome run on a late 2010 OHL pick by pursuading 1st Rd NHL pick Connor Murphy (PHX) to sign on for the upcoming season. Wow. Huge hole filled for Sarnia

Its starting to sound like '11 draftee Reid Boucher is coming to Sarnia

The lineup keeps getting better

Carneval, Galchenyuk, Yahupov,Ritchie, Kujawinski, Boucher, DeAngelo, Murphy, Hope, Maxwell, possibly Rensfeldt

Jacques Beaulieu has done a good job. The lineup looks stacked
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; July 27, 2011 at 2:58 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I head out fishing for one day (caught 85 perch tho) and tonnes of OHL news hits the wire

Staying with the trend of top prospects jumping ship to come to the OHL - Goaltender John Gibson has de-committed from Michigan and will join the Kitchener Rangers

I am still hearing that its very likely Devils' prospect sniper is likely joining the Sarnia Sting

Jacques Beaulieu also hinted today that Sarnia is likely going to make a run as host of the 2014 Memorial Cup

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Apperently Gibson had committed to OSU, then decommited and commited to Michigan instead, now he decommitted and signed to play in the O.

Seems like he has a hard time making up his mind haha