Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [OHL Ramblings] 2011 Off-Season Thread

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default [OHL Ramblings] 2011 Off-Season Thread

Throughout the season, I posted weekly ramblings released each Monday/Tuesday.

Until the OHL season starts back up I will be posted any generic OHL news here

Check back often

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

IAnthony DeAngelo has confirmed that he will come to the OHL and play for the Sarnia Sting

Sarnia selected the highly regarded defenseman in the second round of the 2011 OHL Priority Selection draft. DeAngelo was a Top 10 talent but slid because of the uncertainty of whether he would report

Sarnia needed this boost on the backend and are looking extremely dangerous heading into next season with Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Ritchie, Kujawinski, Latta, DeAngelo and Hope

http://easterniowasportsandrec.com/2...lay-in-canada/

Wow
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 25, 2011 at 11:14 AM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The CHL Annual Awards ceremony is underway. I will keep you posted on the winners from all of the leagues.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    The CHL Annual Awards ceremony is underway. I will keep you posted on the winners from all of the leagues.
    Ryan Ellis (Windsor Spitfires), Dougie Hamilton (Niagara IceDogs) and Nail Yakupov (Sarnia Sting) win 2010-11 CHL Awards

2010-11 CHL Award Winners:

Jack Link’s Top Prospect of the Year: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Red Deer Rebels
    An 18-year-old from Burnaby, BC, Nugent-Hopkins is the number one ranked North American skater on NHL Central Scouting’s Final Rankings for the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. He led the Rebels and finished tied for third in the WHL scoring race with 106 points in 69 games during the 2010-11 regular season while his 75 assists led all WHL players in that category. He was also named Player of the Game for Team Orr at the 2011 Home Hardware CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game. Also considered for the award was Gabriel Landeskog of the Kitchener Rangers, and Sean Couturier of the Drummondville Voltigeurs.

FRAM Sportsman of the Year: Philip-Michaël Devos, Gatineau Olympiques
    The 21-year-old from Sorel-Tracy, Quebec, dominated the scoring race in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League with 47 goals and 114 points, while recording only 31 penalty minutes. His work ethic, classy demeanour and sportsmanship also helped him capture the Frank.-J.-Selke trophy as the QMJHL’s top gentleman. Also considered for the award was Jason Akeson of the Kitchener Rangers, and Tyler Johnson of the Spokane Chiefs.

Chrysler Top Scorer of the Year: Linden Vey, Medicine Hat Tigers
    A 19-year-old from Wakaw, SK, Vey finished the 2010-11 regular season with 46 goals and 70 assists for 116 points along with a +37 rating in 69 games to lead the CHL in scoring. Vey scored 13 power play goals, five shorthanded markers and seven game-winning goals. The recently signed Los Angeles Kings prospect recorded at least a point in 54 of the 69 games he played this season. Jason Akeson of the Kitchener Rangers and Tyler Toffoli of the Ottawa 67’s led the OHL in scoring, while Philip-Michaël Devos of the Gatineau Olympiques led the QMJHL.

Home Hardware Humanitarian Player of the Year: Spencer Edwards, Moose Jaw Warriors
    A 20-year-old from Coquitlam, BC, Edwards was involved in many community programs throughout the year, including a "Captain's Care" program which he created himself. The program saw the Warriors captain make regular visits to the Moose Jaw Union Hospital to spend time with sick children. He also played a large role in the Warriors "Get Gutsy" campaign, which saw the team raise thousands of dollars for Crohn's and Colitis. Also considered for the award was Jack Walchessen of the Peterborough Petes, and Gabriel Lemieux of the Shawinigan Cataractes.

Subway Scholastic Player of the Year: Dougie Hamilton, Niagara IceDogs
    A 17-year-old from Toronto, ON, Hamilton attends Governor Simcoe Secondary School in St. Catharines where he maintains an overall academic average of 94% in six Grade 12 level courses. On the ice, Hamilton is the top ranked defenceman for the 2011 NHL Entry Draft rated fourth overall among North American Skaters by NHL Central Scouting. He finished fourth in scoring among OHL defencemen with 58 points in 67 games scoring 12 goals and 46 assists and a team-high plus-minus rating of plus-35. Also considered for the award was Nicolas Therrien of the Chicoutimi Sagueneens, and Colin Smith of the Kamloops Blazers.

Old Dutch Brian Kilrea Coach of the Year Award: Gerard Gallant, Saint John Sea Dogs
    A native of Summerside, PEI, Gallant wins this award for the second straight season after leading the Sea Dogs to a first overall finish in the QMJHL standings with 58 wins and 119 points while maintaining top spot in the BMO CHL MasterCard Top-10 rankings for the final 15 weeks of the season. Gallant becomes just the second coach to win this award in back-to-back seasons following Bob Boughner who won the award in 2008 and 2009 with the Windsor Spitfires. Also considered for the award was Mark Reeds of the Owen Sound Attack, and Don Nachbaur of the Spokane Chiefs.

BMO Rookie of the Year: Nail Yakupov, Sarnia Sting
    A 17-year-old from Nizhnekamsk, Russia, Yakupov led all rookies and finished tied for fourth overall in OHL scoring with 101 points in 65 games scoring 49 goals and 52 assists. Eligible for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, he became just the fifth OHL rookie to reach 100 points in a season in the last 15 years. Yakupov also established new Sting record for goals and points by a rookie surpassing the marks set by Steven Stamkos in the 2006-07 season. Also considered for the award was Charles Hudon of the Chicoutimi Sagueneens, and Matt Dumba of the Red Deer Rebels.

PERT Plus Goaltender of the Year: Darcy Kuemper, Red Deer Rebels
    A 21-year-old from Saskatoon, SK, Kuemper backstopped the Rebels to a Central Division crown for the first time since the 2002-03 season. The recently signed Minnesota Wild prospect appeared in 62 games this season, and led all WHL goaltenders in every major statistical category including wins (45), goals-against average (1.86), save percentage (.933) and shutouts (13). Kuemper’s 13 shutouts also tied a WHL single season record. Also considered for the award was Mark Visentin of the Niagara IceDogs, and Jacob DeSerres of the Saint John Sea Dogs.

CGC Defenceman of the Year: Ryan Ellis, Windsor Spitfires
    A 20-year-old from Freelton, ON, Ellis led all defencemen in scoring and finished tied for fourth overall in the OHL with 101 points in 58 games scoring 24 goals and 77 assists. He became the first OHL defenceman to score 100 points in a season since Jamie Rivers of the Sudbury Wolves recorded 121 points in 1993-94. The Nashville Predators prospect was a nominee for this award in 2008-09 and became just the third defenceman in OHL history to record 300 career points. Also considered for the award was Simon Després of the Saint John Sea Dogs, and Stefan Elliott of the Saskatoon Blades.

CCM Player of the Year: Ryan Ellis, Windsor Spitfires
    Ellis, who scored 101 points in 58 games with 24 goals and 77 assists, becomes the first defenceman to win this award since Brian Campbell of the Ottawa 67’s in the 1998-99 season. A winner throughout his four-year junior career with the Spitfires, the 2009 first round pick of the Nashville Predators captured two OHL and Memorial Cup titles and was named to the MasterCard Memorial Cup All-Star Team in 2009. Internationally, Ellis is the only player in the history of Hockey Canada’s Program of Excellence to win Gold at each of the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge (2008), IIHF World Under-18 Championship (2008), Memorial of Ivan Hlinka (2008), and the IIHF World Junior Championship (2009). He also earned silver medals with Canada at the 2010 World Junior Championship and again in 2011 in Buffalo, NY, when he served as Team Captain and was named Best Defenceman of the tournament setting a new IIHF and Team Canada record for most career-points by a defenceman with 25 in 20 games. Also considered for the award was Sean Couturier of the Drummondville Voltigeurs, and Darcy Kuemper of the Red Deer Rebels.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

More News:

Kenny Ryan has signed a 3-year entry level contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs. Ryan was the Leafs' 2nd round pick (50th overall) in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.

San Jose has signed their 5th round selection Freddie Hamilton to an entry level contract

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

New York Islanders have signed prospect Casey Cizikas (Mississauga Majors) to an entry level deal. With that out of the way, Cizikas won't be going back into the draft.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I believe the trading period opens up tomorrow (June 1st) for the OHL so I expect to hear some trades. I will keep you posted.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default June 1st and 2nd OHL Trades

It appears the teams with the two newest General Managers are the most active so far (Sault Ste. Marie - 25 yr old GM Kyle Dubas; Sarnia - Jacques Beaulieu)

I am thrilled to see my Sarnia Sting as the most active in trade negotiations. The newly named GM (and coach) Jacques Beaulieu is coming as advertised as he has been known to be very active in trading.

Sarnia made the first trade of the day once the trading period opened up.

Sarnia - Brampton
    SAR acquires center Domenic Alberga
    BRA acquires 4th Rd. Pick (2012)

Alberga is a fiesty centerman who works extremely hard. Sarnia won't be relying too much on his scoring but he will bring important intangibles to the roster and play tough minutes.

Kingston - Sault Ste. Marie
    SSM acquires Corey Durocher
    KGN acquires KGN 2nd Rd. Pick (2014)

Durocher is a large forward (6'3) who is entering his third OHL season. He is a Florida Panther draft pick (6th Rd., 153rd, 2010)

London - Kingston
    London acquires KGN's 5th Rd. 2012 and LDN's 15th Rd. 2012
    Kingston acquires goaltender Igor Bobkov

Bobkov has struggled since coming to the OHL losing his number one status. He did get into two AHL games last season for the Syracuse Crunch and could actually turn pro this year so the deal is a little questionable on Kingston's part. Bobkov iss a Anaheim Ducks prospect (3rd rd, 76th overall in 2009)

Sarnia - Sault Ste. Marie
    SAR acquires Justin Thomas and 3rd rd 2012
    SSM acquires Brandon Alderson, 5th in '12, 3rd and 4th in '15 (conditional)

Alderson is a big RWer (6'4, 195 lbs) who has some good upside but struggled to take the next step last year after injuring his wrist.

Thomas has a ton of potential but has struggled to stay healthy (hence the conditions on the draft picks SSM receives). The left winger notched 7 points in 11 games last year for the Soo.

Kitchener - Sault Ste Marie
    KIT acquires Zachary Aston-Reese
    SSM acquires 15th Rd in 2012 and a conditional 3rd in 2014

Aston-Reese was a 14th round pick of the Greyhounds in 2010. Minor deal.

Rumoured Deal: Sarnia is expected to acquire overager Taylor Carnevale from Windsor for some picks but nothing has been confirmed yet.

I will add more trades as they are completed

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Kitchener/Sarnia

Kitchener sends:

Brandon Maxwell

Sarnia sends:

Brandon Francisco

Being a Sting fan, I would like to hear your thoughts Dean. My initial reaction is that it looks to be a good deal for both teams. I would have liked to see Sarnia come after Foote for Francisco though haha

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
    Kitchener/Sarnia

Kitchener sends:

Brandon Maxwell

Sarnia sends:

Brandon Francisco

Being a Sting fan, I would like to hear your thoughts Dean. My initial reaction is that it looks to be a good deal for both teams. I would have liked to see Sarnia come after Foote for Francisco though haha
    I just got in from kayaking and heard about this deal via text from my wife saying,
    "you were right, Francisco was traded for a goalie"

I then come to find out that it was Ben Maxwell and said "SHIT!"

This is a terrible trade for the Sting. Maxwell has been awful and especially in the post-season for the Rangers. Francisco has a lot of potential who was Sarnia's best trading trip IMO. I fully expected Francisco to be dealt before the start of the season but I was thinking Beaulieu would target a defenseman (which the Sting needed more).

Maxwell isn't talented enough to unseed the Sting's Brandon Hope (who I feel is one of the elite OHL goalies ready to break out). IMO this deal wasn't necessary and a cheaper goalie could've been targeted to backup hope.

Maxwell is an overager too which makes the deal worse.

One thing is for certain, the Sarnia Sting are loading up big time for a championship run (that's something that hasn't happened in a very long time).

I taught Francisco when I was covering for some fitness classes and the kid is a class act. I definitely wish him all the best in Kitchener and I fully expect him to breakout.

News Release
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; June 2, 2011 at 10:07 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Ryan Ellis Takes Home More Hardware...

– The Ontario Hockey League today announced that Ryan Ellis of the Windsor Spitfires is the 2010-11 recipient of the Mickey Renaud Captain’s Trophy

-
    Ellis was chosen by a selection committee as the OHL team captain that best exemplifies leadership on and off the ice, with a passion and dedication to the game of hockey and his community that Mickey demonstrated. Nomination forms were submitted by all 20 OHL General Managers on behalf of their individual team captains. The selection committee consisted of a media panel of four, representing each of the four OHL divisions.

Read More

74 OHL Prospects Invited to Final Team Ontario U-17 Camp

Read Full Article Here

OHL Prospects Attending Team Ontario Under-17 Camp:

*denotes first round selection in 2011 OHL Priority Selection

Barrie Colts:
    Aaron Ekblad, Sun County Panthers*
    Alex Yuill, Quinte Red Devils*

Belleville Bulls:
    Jordan Brown, Halton Hurricanes
    Alex Carnevale, Barrie Colts
    Mackenzie Lemmon, Markham Majors
    Jordan Subban, Toronto Marlboros*

Brampton Battalion:
    Bryson Cianfrone, Toronto Marlboros
    Mac MacSorley, Huron-Perth Lakers
    Mark Raycroft, Brantford 99’ers
    Brandon Robinson, Toronto Jr. Canadiens*
    Jacob Smith, Oakville Rangers

Erie Otters:
    Stephen Harper, Burlington Eagles*

Guelph Storm:
    Tyler Bertuzzi, Sudbury Minor Midget Wolves
    Jason Dickinson, Halton Hurricanes
    Hunter Garlent, Welland Tigers*
    Brody Milne, Halton Hurricanes
    Derian Plouffe, Ottawa Senators

Kingston Frontenacs:
    Marc Beckstead, Upper Canada Cyclones
    Max Domi, Don Mills Flyers*
    Jacob Smith, Sudbury Minor Midget Wolves

Kitchener Rangers:
    John Owen-Stewart, Upper Canada Cyclones
    Brent Pedersen, Waterloo Wolves*

London Knights:
    Keegan Alvestad, Brantford 99’ers
    Remi Elie, Eastern Ontario Wild
    Bo Horvat, Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs*
    Jacob Jammes, Ottawa Jr. 67’s
    Corey Pawley, Lambton Jr. Sting

Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors:
    Joshua Burnside, Toronto Red Wings
    Spencer Martin, Toronto Jr. Canadiens*
    Scott Teskey, Toronto Jr. Canadiens*

Niagara IceDogs:
    Adam Bateman, Don Mills Flyers*
    Ryan Erickson, Sudbury Minor Midget Wolves
    Derek Todosichuk, Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs

Oshawa Generals:
    Ken Appleby, North Bay Trappers
    Ryan Burns, Oakville Rangers
    Bradley Latour, Barrie Colts
    William Petschenig, Upper Canada Cyclones

Ottawa 67’s:
    Jacob Blair, Ottawa Senators
    Mark Golberg, Eastern Ontario Wild
    David Perklin, Toronto Marlboros*
    BJ Salerno, Don Mills Flyers
    Brandon Seatter, Ottawa Jr. 67’s
    Michael Vlajkov, St. Catharines Falcons

Owen Sound Attack:
    Chris Bigras, Barrie Colts
    Zack Nastasiuk, Barrie Colts*

Peterborough Petes:
    Michael Caruso, Sault Ste. Marie North Stars
    Riley Hennigar, Ottawa Senators
    Trevor Murphy, Sun County Panthers
    Stephen Nosad, York-Simcoe Express
    Nicholas Ritchie, Toronto Marlboros*
    Alex Robinson, Ottawa Valley Titans
    Luke Shiplo, Oakville Rangers
    Steven Varga, York-Simcoe Express

Plymouth Whalers:
    Mitchell Dempsey, Cambridge Hawks*
    Dylan Mascarin, Thunder Bay Kings
    Matthew Mistele, Whitby Wildcats

Saginaw Spirit:
    Nick Moutrey, York-Simcoe Express*

Sarnia Sting:
    Davis Brown, Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs
    Billy Exell, Thunder Bay Kings
    Ryan Kujawinski, Sudbury Minor Midget Wolves*
    Thomas Welsh, Salisbury Prep

Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds:
    Matt Buckles, Don Mills Flyers
    Mac Clutsam, Hamilton Jr. Bulldogs
    Tyler Ganly, Toronto Jr. Canadiens
    Jordan Larson, Thunder Bay Kings
    Justin Nichols, St. Catharines Falcons
    Darnell Nurse, Don Mills Flyers*
    Tyler Sehovic, Sault Ste. Marie North Stars

Sudbury Wolves:
    Riley Corbin, Thunder Bay Kings
    Evan de Haan, Ottawa Valley Titans
    Danny Desrochers, North Bay Trappers
    Jacob Harris, Halton Hurricanes

Windsor Spitfires:
    Jordan DeKort, Markham Majors
    Jordan Maletta, St. Catharines Falcons*

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Fantastic article out of the London Free Press by Morris Dalla Costa "Plot thickens, but OHL Domi Soap opera far from finished"

He touches on the current happenings in the Max Domi reporting issues and also has some thoughts on the Sarnia Sting including them getting star defenseman Anthony DeAngelo to sign and report after the Top 10 talent slid all the way to the 2nd round. I am thrilled!

Check it out. It's an easy read

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Sarnia Sting complete two more trades...

Oh boy, my Sarnia Sting are back at it again.

GM Jacques Beaulieu (hired only months ago) has completed another couple of trades in his quest to make this team an immediate contender. I think it's safe to say that they will DEFINITELY be contenders

General Manager Jacques Beaulieu announced this afternoon the Sarnia Sting Hockey Club has acquired defenceman Patrick Harrison from the Kingston Frontenacs in exchange for future considerations.
    Harrison appears to be a shutdown depth defender - exactly what Sarnia needs.

In the second deal, it's a trade that has been heavily rumoured all the way back to the day before the OHL draft. Today, the day is officially announced.

General Manager Jacques Beaulieu announced this afternoon the Sarnia Sting Hockey Club has acquired overage forward Taylor Carnevale from the Windsor Spitfires

General Manager Jacques Beaulieu announced this afternoon the Sarnia Sting Hockey Club has acquired overage forward Taylor Carnevale from the Windsor Spitfires.

The Sting have sent their own 2nd round pick in the 2015 OHL Priority Selection as well as a 3rd round pick in 2014 and a 2nd round pick in 2016 that originally belonged to Windsor and were acquired by the Sting in a earlier transaction.

Game on. Sarnia hasn't seen this much aggression from their management in the history of the team.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

A name to watch out for in the import draft, Toronto prospect Sondre Olden.

Link: http://modokollen.blogspot.com/

Translation (via google translate)

That's it.
    Sondre Olden leave Modo Hockey.
    - Yes that's right, I turned down the contract as Modo offered me says Sondre to modo protocols

New league gets CHL. Why?
    - The Toronto wanted it, and I wanted it. Feels right, and try there for a year anyway.

Difficult decision?
    - Yes indeed it is. Modo offered me a first team contract so.

What made ​​me decide? - To Toronto wanted it very much. And I've talked to some who were there and they say that it is good and you learn a lot.

Which team it is not clear, CHL-Draft owns Half Bathroom at the end of June.
    - Now it gets to train with J20 to Monday, then I go home to Norway to train with, inter alia, Mats Zuccarello and Ole-Kristian Tollefsen.

If there would be a return to Sweden again so is Modo first team he contact.
    - Yes of course. Modo will always be in my heart.

What do you think about Modo's chances next season?
    - Looks very good. Macke, Foppa and Uffe knows what they're doing so I am pretty sure that there will be a year for Modo. In addition, players a really really good team.

I bet it's an OHL team that picks him just due to being drafted by the Leafs. Since he is also a 92' I would bet he's more likely to go to a contender. Olden brings fantastic potential and I think it is good that he is coming over. (I wish the Red Wings drafted this guy!)

Banned

Two OHL coaches promoted to the NHL. Dave Cameron and Mark Reeds are new assistant coaches in Ottawa.