Thread: [OHL] Quick Look at Potential '11-12 OHL Rosters

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default [OHL] Quick Look at Potential '11-12 OHL Rosters

In the O... Blog has begun to take a preliminary look at some of the potential OHL rosters heading into the 2011-12 season.

Obviously, teams have only briefly begun analyzing their newest prospects in their mini-camps and await the upcoming CHL Import Draft but it's interesting to see who might be in the lineup next season.

I will keep this thread updated as "In the O..." releases each team's potential roster preview. Plus, I will add in my own thoughts as to whether I agree or disagree with their choices.

To start, we need to look at the OVERAGERS (OA) that each team could have next season.

2011/12 OHL Potential OA's
    Here is a list of Potential OA's broken down by team for the upcoming 2011/12 season as selected by the ITO Panel.

Barrie Colts - Colin Behenna, Trent Hawke
    Belleville Bulls - Luke Judson, Adam Payerl, Andy Bathgate
    Brampton Battalion - Ian Watters, Michael Santini, Jonathan Johannssen
    Erie Otters - David Shields, Brett Thompson, Michael Cazzola
    Guelph Storm - Stephen Gaskin, Michael Latta, Tim Campbell
    Kingston Frontenacs - Mitch Lebar, Conor Stokes, Taylor Doherty
    Kitchener Rangers - Jonathon Jasper, Cody Sol, Michael Catenacci
    London Knights - Colin Martin, Sascha Guimond
    Mississauga Majors - Justin Shugg, Jamie Wise, David Corrente
    Niagara IceDogs - Andrew Agozzino, Mike Schwindt, David Pacan
    Oshawa Generals - Andy Andreoff, Daniel Maggio, Scott Valentine
    Ottawa 67's - Jon Carnevale, Marc Zanetti, Ben Dubois
    Owen Sound Attack - Andrew Shaw, Mike Halmo, Michael Zador
    Peterborough Petes - Bryce O'Hagan, Joey West, Nick Trecapelli
    Plymouth Whalers - Beau Schmitz, James Neal. R.J. Mahalak
    Saginaw Spirit - Josh Shalla, Brad Walch, Mickey Sartoretto
    Sarnia Sting - Jesse Stoughton, Daniel Broussard, Joe Rogalski
    Soo Greyhounds - Carson Dubchak, Mike MacIntyre, Jordan Carroll
    Sudbury Wolves - Mike McDonald, Andrei Kuchin, Josh McFadden
    Windsor Spitfires - Kenny Ryan, Zack MacQueen, Taylor Carnevale

I hope this stops the confusion of what I attempted to do... coming up next will be the prelim rosters and we will take out the players who will not be around either because they have been drafted or will play in the NHL or AHL in the upcoming season

How ITO's Process will work:

For 20 days, In The O... will be looking at each OHL team and thanks to a consensus Panel will formulate what we believe the 2011/12 roster for these teams will look like. To decide this, the consensus panel first pitched who they thought, would be the OA players for the team. We then took 2 of their OHL priority Draft selections and added them to the roster. We did not look at 2010 selections in determining the roster and looked at a 13 Forward, 7 Defence and 2 Goalie system, thus leaving 8 player cards open for each team. We did not look at trades or other additions to the roster. Just simply took the 10/11 Roster and made minor changes. Sounds simple doesn't it... here is what In The O... projects as the roster for
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 24, 2011 at 8:58 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The Barrie Colts - 2011/12

Over Age Players - Colin Behenna, Trent Hawke
    OA's Cut - Norm Ezekiel
    2011 Priority Draft Selections - Aaron Ekblad (D), Alex Yuill (D)

Goaltenders - Clint Windsor & John Chartrand - The Colts wanted to go young and these 93 birthdays still have a few more years in them to help get the job done.

Defence - Alex Lepkowski, Aaron Ekblad, Alex Yuill, Brandon Devlin, Mackenzie Braid, Chris Buonomo, Tyler Mort - Solid core of players who, like the entire team, will gel with a full 2 years together

Forwards - Colin Behenna, Eric Locke, Trent Hawke, Jordan Coccimigilio, Steven Beyers, Tanner Pearson, Mark Scheifele, Dylan Smoskowitz, Mitch Bennett, Petr Beranek, Zach Hall, John Padulo, Erik Bradford - Lead by Colin Behenna, Eric Locke and Mark Scheifele this team can be an offensive juggernaut and will only get better from last seasons offensive numbers.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 26, 2011 at 3:55 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The Belleville Colts - 2011/12
    Over Age Players - Andy Bathgate, Luke Judson, Adam Payerl
    OA's Cut - Bjorn Krupp, Brett Mackie
    2011 Priority Draft Selections - Jordan Subban (D), Michael McCarron (F)

Goaltenders - Malcolm Subban & Tyson Teichmann - A really strong feeling that Tyson will not be with this club come September, but as per the rules must go with who is listed on the 2010/11 roster

Defence - Darryl Snelling, Alex Basso, Adam Bignell, Steven Strong, Stephen Silas, Branden Morris, Jordan Subban - simply replace Krupp with Subban and this D is already improved.

Forwards - Luke Judson, Michael McCarron, Adam Payerl, Michael Curtis, Andy Bathgate, Austen Brassard, Brendan Gaunce, Scott Simmonds, Dylan Corson, Carter Sandlak, Braeden Corbeth, Jan Kaminsky - The Bulls still need one forward to make 13 but have utilized all their OA spots. This would likely lead to a 2010 draft pick making the roster.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 26, 2011 at 3:55 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The Brampton Battalion - 2011/12
    Over Age Players - Ian Watters, Michael Santini, Jonathan Johansson
    OA's Cut - Craig Moore
    2011 Priority Draft Selections - Brandon Robinson (F), Keegan Wilson (G)

Goaltenders - Matej Machovsky & Keegan Wilson - The sole purpose of drafting Wilson was not only because he fought his way to get noticed, but much like the 2010/11 season, thrusting a young European goaltender into the Number 1 spot would be too much. Even though Keegan would be the rookie at the age of 19, he can keep Matej focused which would equal success for Brampton in 11/12.

Defence - Jordan Auld, Jordan McNaughton, Marcus McIvor, Spencer Abraham, Dylan Blujus, Cameron Wind, Zach Bell - This young D-Corp was just amazing last season and can still play together with no changes for another 2 seasons.

Forwards - Philip Lane, Michael Santini, Adam Lloyd, Connor Jarvis, Sam Carrick, Andreas Tsogkas, Jonathan Johansson, Dominic Alberga, Brandon Robinson, Barclay Goodrow, Matt MacLeod, Alex O'Neil, Ian Watters - The team had problems scoring last season and another years experience should help. The 2 OA forwards provided so much offence last season that it may look like a phenomenal D effort will be needed every night.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 26, 2011 at 3:56 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The Erie Otters - 2011/12
    Over Age Players - David Shields, Mike Cazzola, Brett Thompson
    OA's Cut - Brett Appio, Andrew Yogan, Matt Paton, Brett Cook, Ramis Sadikov, Tyler Hostetter, Derek Holden
    2011 Priority Draft Selections - Stephan Harper (F), Corey Foster (G)

Goaltenders - Christopher Fetarini & Corey Foster- along with the team losing a lot of veteran talent. this goaltending duo will be a work in progress and take their lumps as they go.

Defence - Brady Austin, Mark Gadzic, Adam Pelech, David Shields, Kris Grant - The D this year will be young considering all the potential OA's that could be in this lineup. Even though it was a quick playoff exit. the 7 game experience will be good for the young corps.

Forwards - Mac McDonnell, Brett Thompson, Chris Marchese, Greg McKegg, Mike Cazzola, Connor Crisp, Luke Cairns, Stephan Harper - The theme of this Erie Otters team will be youth going forward. Young talent that will have to probably fight for 8th in the upcoming season.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The Guelph Storm - 2011/12
    Over Age Players - Tim Campbell, Stephen Gaskin, Michael Latta
    OA's Cut -Peter Holland, Taylor Beck, Daniel Erlich, Richard Panik, Riley Sonnenburg, Kyle Periera
    2011 Priority Draft Selections - Hunter Garlent (F), Jason Dickinson (F)

Goaltenders - Garret Sparks & ? - With no one thinking Brandon Foote will be back there is a gaping hole in the crease. Will Sparks fill it? or will a veteran take the spot to help teach Sparks?

Defence - Mac Nichol, Tim Campbell, Andrey Pedan, Stephen Gaskin, Matt Finn, David Searle - This young D-Corp was just amazing last season and can still play together with no changes for another 2 seasons. The veteran influence of Campbell and Gaskin will help teach the D as they are on the way out.

Forwards - Francis Menard, Michael Latta, Ryan Horvat, Hunter Garlent, Patrick Watling, Jason Dickinson, Brock McGinn, Cody McNaughton, Zack Mitchell, Scott Kosmachuk, - The infusion of youth along side the veteran play making and toughness of Michael Latta will be a good mix for the Storm this season. How they finish will depend on what kind of leadership role Latta can handle without Beck and Holland present.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The Kingston Fontenacs - 2011/12
    Over Age Players - Mitch Lebar, Conor Stokes, Taylor Doherty
    OA's Cut - Philipp Grubauer, Tyler J. Brown, Ethan Werek, Michael Fine
    2011 Priority Draft Selections - Ryan Hutchinson (D), Conor McGlynn (F)

Goaltenders - Franky Palazzese & Nathan Perry - Like many goaltenders in the Washington system, I don't see Grubauer returning... however there is a small chance with the log jam in the AHL... you never know.

Defence - Ryan Hutchinson, Taylor Doherty, Jeff Braithwaite, Erik Gudbranson, Alex Gudbranson, Michal Cajkovsky, Warren Steele - Can this group do any worse than last year?

Forwards - Nathan Cull, Conor Stokes, Charles Sarault, Ryan Davidson, Dylan Staples, Mitch Lebar, Derek Froats, Brett Morgan, Corey Durocher, Ryan Spooner, Conor McGlynn - Same as the Defence... Can they do any worse than last year?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The Kitchener Rangers - 2011/12
    Over Age Players - Jonathon Jasper, Cody Sol, Michael Catenacci
    OA's Cut -Tyler Randell, Jerry D'Amigo, Michael Hasson, Chad Lowry, Julian Melchiori, Ryan Lopes, Brandon Maxwell
    2011 Priority Draft Selections - Brent Pederson (F), Justin Bailey (D)

Goaltenders - Mike Morisson & ? - It is unknown if this was primarily triggered by the Playoff run, or the actual consideration that he will likely be in the AHL next season, but most believed Brandon Maxwell would not be returning and it would be Morisson's crease.

Defence - Evan McEneny, Ryan Murphy, Cody Sol, Jonathon Jasper & Justin Bailey - a depleted blueline based on who the Rangers will lose this upcoming season. As ITO shows there will be 5 blueliners ready to go from the current roster so Steve Spott will have to pull some draftee's in or a trade or two to sure up the back end.

Forwards - Tobias Reider, Michael Catenacci, Eric Ming, Zach Lorentz, Ben Thompson, Ryan MacLean, Andrew Crescenzi, Matia Marcantuoni, Gabriel Landeskog & Brent Pederson - A lot of familiar names but new roles for most. It is also a concern as to the return of Gabriel Landeskog. With 10 players ready to suit up Steve Spott again, will have some work to do in terms of gearing up. or just putting bodies in play.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; May 26, 2011 at 3:57 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Initial thoughts on the first seven teams:

- Erik Gudbranson will likely suit up for the Florida Panthers. The fiesty blueliner mght have played a full NHL season last year but there were some issues with his contract meeting deadlines and was forced to return to the OHL. Gudbranson didn't have a great OHL season and made the headlines everal times with discipline issues so one can't totally write off a return to Kingston.

- Kitchener's Landeskog is almost gauranteed to compete for a roster spot on whichever team decides to draft him so there is a (good) chance that the Rangers' lose their captain for next season.

- Michael Latta isn't gauranteed to return to Guelph and could possibly join teammates Holland, Beck and Panik. I am sure Guelph will do everything they can to retain him though. The Storm will need his leadership and offensive help.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    The Guelph Storm - 2011/12

Over Age Players - Tim Campbell, Stephen Gaskin, Michael Latta
    OA's Cut -Peter Holland, Taylor Beck, Daniel Erlich, Richard Panik, Riley Sonnenburg, Kyle Periera

2011 Priority Draft Selections - Hunter Garlent (F), Jason Dickinson (F)

Goaltenders - Garret Sparks & ? - With no one thinking Brandon Foote will be back there is a gaping hole in the crease. Will Sparks fill it? or will a veteran take the spot to help teach Sparks?

Defence - Mac Nichol, Tim Campbell, Andrey Pedan, Stephen Gaskin, Matt Finn, David Searle - This young D-Corp was just amazing last season and can still play together with no changes for another 2 seasons. The veteran influence of Campbell and Gaskin will help teach the D as they are on the way out.

Forwards - Francis Menard, Michael Latta, Ryan Horvat, Hunter Garlent, Patrick Watling, Jason Dickinson, Brock McGinn, Cody McNaughton, Zack Mitchell, Scott Kosmachuk, - The infusion of youth along side the veteran play making and toughness of Michael Latta will be a good mix for the Storm this season. How they finish will depend on what kind of leadership role Latta can handle without Beck and Holland present.
    I appriciate the work that has gone in to writing these but I have a few points on this being a Guelph fan.

1. Everyone here seems to think Latta is as good as gone. It's not 100% but i'd put it around 85-90.

2. On D, David Searle has quit hockey. No way he is back next season, he might reconsider if he is playing with his home town team Peterborough, but it won't be for Guelph.

3. Also on D, Campbell and Gaskin aren't for sure going to return. And Kyle Periera is still in the mix i'm guessing.

4. There is also no 92' birthdates on this team (McNaughton is, but is a late birthday) so look for Mike Kelly to jump on getting one if he has the chance.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
    I appriciate the work that has gone in to writing these but I have a few points on this being a Guelph fan.

1. Everyone here seems to think Latta is as good as gone. It's not 100% but i'd put it around 85-90.

2. On D, David Searle has quit hockey. No way he is back next season, he might reconsider if he is playing with his home town team Peterborough, but it won't be for Guelph.

3. Also on D, Campbell and Gaskin aren't for sure going to return. And Kyle Periera is still in the mix i'm guessing.

4. There is also no 92' birthdates on this team (McNaughton is, but is a late birthday) so look for Mike Kelly to jump on getting one if he has the chance.
    Thanks for the response. Always nice getting information from fans of these teams.

Just a few clarifications:

- I did not write up these team reports so the mistakes aren't mine These are from intheobloggers.blogspot.com. I should put quotes around each post (and will)

- I am assuming that the players who are bolded are players whose statuses are unknown (hence Latta, Campbell and Gaskin being bolded).

- Like I posted above under "my initial thoughts", I also feel that Latta's return is very much in question.

Cheers. Keep the Guelph updates coming.