Thread: Kaberle vs McBain

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Kaberle vs McBain

I'm looking to compete next year for the league in my sig.

who do you like as a keeper between the two? Im looking towards Kaberle as I think he'll outpoint Mcbain next year, and McBain will be easier to re-draft.

cheers!
    F: P. Kane, Oshie, N. Foligno, Thorton, Coyle, Marleau, Pavelski, Dubinsky
    Steen
    D: seabrooke, Subban,wizniewski,garrison, Carle
    G: Niemi, Fleury,

G/A-1 pt PIM- .25pts
    Win-2pts Shutouts- 5pts(2+3)
    Keep 10. Top 13 count (4 d, 1 g, 6 Frwd and next highest-any position)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

For anybody that thinks that Kaberle's production in Boston is a sign of things to come they are crazy. The guy is very talented and is usually best suited when a team relies heavily on him. No competition = supreme numbers (PP points were always his strong suit). I think it wouldn't be a good move to drop Kaberle as as you stated it would be easier to redraft McBain.

Now, I have no clue what will happen to Kaberle this upcoming year but I don't think this year was an accurate depiction of what he can do. He probably has to adjust to the new system, new city, etc... I would take Kaberle, simply put (although long winded).
    League 1: 12 teams (drafted 10th) - Standard public Yahoo league - G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG - W,GAA,SV%,SHO

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    G:

Dobber Sports Wizard

Agree, Kaberle's your man for the reasons you listed.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Agree, Kaberle's your man for the reasons you listed.
    I have been a Kaberle fan since his rookie year but I am afraid it is over for Kaberle. The game has changed and his vulnerability in his own end when he does not have the puck is getting worse.

I would not even be suprised if he plays in the Czech Republic next year. His dismal performance with Boston will cause others to shy away. He might get a contract but no raise will be in the books for Tomas next year.

I woluld definetly keep McBain. He is younger and with Pitkanen moving on McBain and Corvo will be the PP tandem. I expect McBain to start generating good points next year. Kaberle's best years are now behind him. Yes there is a chance he gets picked up by another team and gets lots of ice time and is effective but I think the risk is very high.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by kbooks View Post
    I have been a Kaberle fan since his rookie year but I am afraid it is over for Kaberle. The game has changed and his vulnerability in his own end when he does not have the puck is getting worse.

I would not even be suprised if he plays in the Czech Republic next year. His dismal performance with Boston will cause others to shy away. He might get a contract but no raise will be in the books for Tomas next year.

I woluld definetly keep McBain. He is younger and with Pitkanen moving on McBain and Corvo will be the PP tandem. I expect McBain to start generating good points next year. Kaberle's best years are now behind him. Yes there is a chance he gets picked up by another team and gets lots of ice time and is effective but I think the risk is very high.
    It's very dangerous to assume a once blue chip player has suddenly "lost it", especially after a move to a new team. Look at Selanne in Colorado. Solid performers like these can lose their game for a season or so for a variety of reasons, only to come back just as strong as ever. Heck, people were writing off Iginla in the first half of this season, and things went just fine for him. Kaberle's still in his prime. He may not be working out in Boston, but your best chances are with the proven blue chip talent.

Dobber Sports Genius

Sticking with the trend of keepers, in a win heavy setting like yours I would keep Neuvirth over Kipper easily as well o keep Rask and redraft Neuvirth or Kipper. I would not keep Kipper though over Neuvirth in a win heavy setting.

Quote Originally Posted by MT319 View Post
    Sticking with the trend of keepers, in a win heavy setting like yours I would keep Neuvirth over Kipper easily as well o keep Rask and redraft Neuvirth or Kipper. I would not keep Kipper though over Neuvirth in a win heavy setting.
    You don't think the threat of both Varly and Holtby on Neurvirth push Kipper ahead in value?
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    You don't think the threat of both Varly and Holtby on Neurvirth push Kipper ahead in value?
    No - Neuvirth is the starter. Varlemov will likely get traded or move to the KHL. It is possible in time Neuvirth will lose the job to Holtby but they will want to bring him along slowly. Neuvirth is 22 and Kipper is getting long in the tooth. Neuvirth is a much safer play both short and long term.

Dobber Sports Ace

I respect all of your opinions here greatly, but im not keeping neuvirth or rask over kipper. Goalies are really easy to come by in my league and gm's always keep the sure things so rask and nuevirth are re-draftable very easily. In my league theres zero reason to look beyond a one year window with goalies. Thanks for all opinions, greatly appreciated!

The only keeper decision for me is kaberle vs mcbain. With th news of detroits space on the blueline, ill wait to see how the offseason plays out.
    Steen

G/A-1 pt PIM- .25pts

Quote Originally Posted by ovi42 View Post
    I respect all of your opinions here greatly, but im not keeping neuvirth or rask over kipper. Goalies are really easy to come by in my league and gm's always keep the sure things so rask and nuevirth are re-draftable very easily. In my league theres zero reason to look beyond a one year window with goalies. Thanks for all opinions, greatly appreciated!

The only keeper decision for me is kaberle vs mcbain. With th news of detroits space on the blueline, ill wait to see how the offseason plays out.
    I don't disagree w/any of that, and you are certainly more acutely aware of the trends unique to your league than any of us.

Honestly, prior to the Rafalski news, I would have said McBain. Now...I think you're wise to wait it out.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Genius

In W/SHO league I actually think Neuvirth is a sure thing, even more so than Kipper, with Varlamov's contract expired and considerably more valuable given the environment he plays vs. environment Kipper plays. If it was statistics based then Kipper you could make a case for to some extent, but in W/SHO it's not even close in my opinion between him and Neuvirth.

In terms of the D I would easily take McBain man, he is actually really really good skill-wise and should take a big step forward with Pitkanen out of the mix next season, Corvo is of little threat to him and CAR runs two D on the point anyway with Staal and Skinner down low running show. I'd much rather have McBain over Kaberle.

Dobber Sports Ace

Mt; we'll agree to disagree on the goalie front as i dont see anything close to a sure thing in washington and im not comfortable keeping a goalie who's not a sure thing(we're our opinions differ i suppose). I can redraft neuvirth and rask with relative ease. Admitedly; i may regret this decision if wash does stick with nuevirth, but ill take that risk.

Kabby vs mcbain: won't disagree there. It may come down to mcbain being redraftable and where kabby ends up.
    Steen

G/A-1 pt PIM- .25pts

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Kabby is money in the bank for 45 points, go with the sure thing

Dobber Sports Ace

if ur going only on the next couple of years then take kabby, but if u want any chance of having a stud d back there that will put up points for a long time then i think u have to take mcbain. mcbain is gonna be huge real soon if not next year. staal, skinner and ward are gonna turn this team around.

i guess though if ur looking for instant production stick with the vet, personally though i would sell him/drop him while u could for something like this cause mcbain will be worth a lot more in a couple years
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP