Thread: Halak vs Crawford vs Niemi

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Halak vs Crawford vs Niemi

one year and three year values.

Gaa SV% Win's and SO's.

Opinions?

I lean towards Crawford and he has the added value of being cheaper on the contract of the three.

Am i wrong?

Dobber Sports Wizard

To me it's a coin toss between Niemi and Crawford. There isn't much difference in their salaries so that factor is minimal here. Niemi has been inconsistent, going from winning the cup to almost losing his starting job to Nittymaki to regaining it in stellar form. Crawford has looked solid ever since he won the starting job from Turco but we only have an incomplete season to judge him by. Halak is behind these two, barely, it's damn close among all three.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I have the opposite reaction here and like Halak. He had an off year on an up and coming squad and he still put up 27 Wins and 7 SO's to go with a tidy 2.48 GAA. I'd agree with the next 2 though, too close to call. Based on the amount of games Niemi can handle, I'd probably give the edge to him.

So I'd go Halak, Niemi, Crawford, in that order.
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Dobber Sports Monster

I am not gonna try and guess numbers. This is very close IMO. Could flip flop very easily and im sure over the course of an entire season it will flip flop.

AS OF RIGHT NOW I would go with the following:

1) Crawford
    2) Halak
    3) Niemi

1) I think Crawford is gaining a ton of momentum going into 2011-12 from his playoff performance. I know the dynamics change from playoff to regular season but this kid is very good and has a good team in front of him. Has very good defense.

2) Again, like I mentioned this could flip flop with Crawford. I like Halak and I like St. Louis. I think Halak is just as capable of success as C.C. but I think the Hawks are better than the Blues, thus giving the nod to C.C.

3) Niemi - I don't know I dont trust him entirely. Just a gut feeling.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I would say:
    Halak
    Crawford
    Niemi

But these 3 are so close you can rank them any way you want. Crawford has the lowest cap hit so maybe it does help you but it's only 1M so I don't know. Take the one you personally like, you can't go wrong.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks guys.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I would say:
    Halak
    Crawford
    Niemi

But these 3 are so close you can rank them any way you want. Crawford has the lowest cap hit so maybe it does help you but it's only 1M so I don't know. Take the one you personally like, you can't go wrong.
    I agree with this.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I would say:
    Halak
    Crawford
    Niemi

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I agree with this.
    That's also how I would probably rank em as well.

I think if you can take the salary hit that Halak is the best option out of the three. St.Louis is young and the team is maturing together. I personally think they're going to take a step forward next year. Not going to even try to predict numbers, but Halak should put up solid peripheral stats and likely post up more shutouts. Toss in the fact that he's signed for 3.75 for the next 3 years I would say its likely he doesn't lose his starting job for that duration (unless his goaltending skills get FUBAR).

Crawford I could see as well but I just like Halak better. If you really need the salary room then go for him and I doubt you will be disappointed. It may be a bit of a gamble because of Salak apparently ready, but I think the three year contract was a vote of confidence from the Hawks that its Crawfords job to lose, especially since I believe the contract is back-loaded. I don't expect him to have a massive drop off due to a sophomore slump either because like I've been saying for awhile he ain't no rookie. He's 26 years old and had a lot more time to toughen up mentally and work on his game, and he wasn't brought up in a losing environment which is key IMO.

As for Niemi, I'm with Shakedown. For some reason I don't trust him, can't explain it, maybe its because he's still in the playoffs and he's just more fresh in my mind. But personally if I had to choose between Niemi and Halak, I'd take Halak every time. If I had to choose between Niemi and Crawford, I'd gamble on Crawford holding his starting job, especially for the lower salary hit.

Just the two cents of this rambler.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

They are ALL slightly above average tenders in good situations.

Salary is the biggest difference so that leans towards crawford and niemi.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Killer67 View Post
    Based on the amount of games Niemi can handle, I'd probably give the edge to him.
    One thing to remember is the last time Turco started a game for Chicago was February 11. Crawford started 34 straight games including the playoffs. I think it's safe to say he can handle a heavy workload.

I also have some trouble trusting Niemi. As a Hawks fan I'll always be grateful for how he played last season, but he just doesn't seem like a top flight goalie to me. His style is all over the place, his skating is bad, his positioning can be spotty.....he seems to get the job done but I don't know if he can keep it up.

I would probably rank them Halak-Crawford-Niemi for next season. I think Crawford has the potential and is in a good situation to pass Halak in the near future, but honestly you can't go wrong with either goalie.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Halak
    Niemi
    Crawford

In that order for me. Niemi and Halak both a step above Crawford IMO.