Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado Avalanche

Dobber Sports Star

I'm very happy with picking up Giguere, really helps especially since the Avs don't have a full-time goalie coach.

I've been most happy with the fact that Varly has remained healthy this year, and the ups and downs aren't too surprising based on how young the team is, and how they can be inconsistent at times.

Here's a story from the Denver Post on the Landy-OReilly-Hejduk line:
    Milan Hejduk swears he has owned an iPhone for "at least a year," but according to linemate Gabriel Landeskog, a 19-year-old rookie, the 35-year-old Avalanche captain showed his age when the two met in training camp.

"All the guys have these Blackberrys and iPhones, and Hejdy pulls out this big rock from his pocket," Landeskog said. "I don't even know what brand it was, but it was pretty funny."

Hejduk is willing to have some fun with his young teammates.

"Actually, I had to wear it on my back — like a backpack," Hejduk said, referring to old military communication devices. "It was pretty heavy."

It was all laughter after practice Thursday when the age gap between Hejduk and his linemates was discussed. Ryan O'Reilly, who centers what has been Colorado's best overall line, is 20.

"Landy and I are probably closer to his boys' age," O'Reilly said.

Hejduk's twin sons, Marek and David, are 7.

Three years before they were born, Hejduk won a Stanley Cup with the Avs in 2001. O'Reilly was 10 and Landeskog 8.

"That's pretty crazy," O'Reilly said.

Said Hejduk: "It's unbelievable when you mention that. Pretty impressive too. When you're on the ice, they're regular players. You don't look at age. But when you look at the roster and see the ages, you're like, 'Oh, my God, this is unbelievable.' "

Hejduk, who will be 36 in February, changed into sweatpants and skated with his sons before taking them to lunch.

Where did O'Reilly and Landeskog go?

"They probably go play PlayStation or something together," Hejduk said.

That's not a knock on two guys who aren't old enough to buy a beer.

"When you think like that, it's pretty crazy," Landeskog said of the age gap. "It puts it in perspective how long Hej- dy's played and how good he's been for so long. We were talking the other day how it feels to play against (Alex) Ovechkin and those guys, but being on the same line and sitting beside Hejdy in the locker room is just as cool. It's pretty special."

The Avs are the NHL's youngest team, and unofficially they have the league's youngest power-play unit. It features 20-year-olds Matt Duchene​ and Stefan Elliott at the points, and O'Reilly, Landeskog and Hejduk down low. Take away old man Hejduk and the average age of the power play is 19.75.

"They're definitely way younger," Hejduk said, looking embarrassed.

Avs coach Joe Sacco has had O'Reilly and Landeskog together for most of the season. He put Hejduk with them about a month ago.

O'Reilly is Canadian, Landeskog is Swedish and Hejduk is from the Czech Republic.

"That line is a good combination of things," Sacco said. "You have an experienced player like Milan, who's been in different situations and a guy who can put the puck in the back of the net.

"You've got a young winger on the (left) side, barely 19 years old, who plays a little more of a north-south game, in the hard areas and does a lot of the work as far as getting pucks out of the corners.

"And then you've got Ryan, who is just a real solid two-way player for us. He plays 200 feet of the ice. He can make plays offensively and is very reliable defensively. The fit, the chemistry of that line, is just real good, and they play against the (opponent's) top line just about every game, and I think that sometimes goes unnoticed."

O'Reilly's line was matched against Joe Thornton​ and the Sharks last week; Ovechkin and the Capitals on Saturday; Jaromir Jagr​ and the Flyers on Monday; and David Backes and the Blues on Wednesday.

"It's quite intriguing and amazing," Sacco said of the diversity and effectiveness of the O'Reilly line. "Milan just keeps going along."

And going and going ...
    The Avs will be starting Giguere for a fourth straight game.

Sacco hinted that he wants to go with the same lineup as he had against the Blues, which would mean healthy D man Kyle Quincey would be on the sidelines again, which I can't agree with, he's been one of Colorado's top two dmen this season (along with concussed Ryan Wilson).

Brandon Yip has recovered from a groin pull and will be a healthy scratch, which is fine by me, the call ups are playing much hungrier anyways.
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg

Dobber Sports Star

The Avs were able to hold their losing streak to only a single game, as they bounced back at home beating the Coyotes last night 3-2.

The good news is the Avs finished 9-1 at home for the month of December. The bad news is they lost Duchene to a knee injury three shifts into the game. Interesting to see what Sacco does with the lines in Anaheim on Saturday. The OReilly, Landy, Hejduk line will stay in tact, so I'm guessing with the way he's been playing, Galiardi will move up with Stastny and Winnik. However, there's also a chance that David Jones is ready by Saturday and could slot in along side Stastny.

Stastny has been playing great since his torso injury, been making solid plays and shooting the puck a lot more as well (7 SOG last night).

Peter Mueller, don't hold your breath, could be back soon as he's been practicing with the team and taking contact and all. Him and Crosby seem to share the genetic defect of having a couple of soft mellons.

Quincey was back in the lineup, and picked up a pt. but was a little sloppy with some turnovers, that'll shake right out, since he's been off the ice for 6 games.

Elliott snipes his 4th goal of the season with a bullet of a wrister from the top of the slot, best wrist/snap shot from a d-man I've seen in a long time.

Varlamov had a strong game, especially late in the 2nd, stopping OEL on a penalty shot, and than making many key saves in the 3rd period.

He's been great at home with a .920+ SV%, on the road however he's down around .881

On that note, the Avs play their next 7 of 8 away from the Pepsi Center, and 10 of 13 on the road taking them up to the start of February.

This team is thin on the wings, but if they can continue to keep pace (1 pt. out of a playoff spot) than look for the team to try and make a deal especially if Duchene is out for an extended period of time.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

Forgot to mention a couple of key stats...

Their PK has been terrific lately killing off 27 of their last 30 PPs against, including 5 for 5 last night allowing only 2 or 3 SOG by PHX.

The Avs are 14-5-1 in 1 goal games this season.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mapletreemarty View Post
    The Avs are 14-5-1 in 1 goal games this season.
    That does not bode well for them long term but do you think they are going to go all in for a playoff spot since Washington has their first rounder this year?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Stud

What is S'Ob role on the team? I drafted him for PIMs but strangely he is racking up assists here and there. Is he no longer the tough SOB?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    That does not bode well for them long term but do you think they are going to go all in for a playoff spot since Washington has their first rounder this year?
    I'd be extremely surprised if the goal wasn't playoffs. Last season was the tank year after all of the injuries hit. I'd expect a D for winger swap sometime before the deadline. Mueller and Hishon's concussion problems have really dealt a blow to their forward depth - something I think Sherman had in the back of his mind going into the season.
    20 Team Pool Points Keeper
    G =1,A=1,PPG=1,PPA=0.5, SHG=1,GWG=1,PIM=0.1,+/-=0.25
    Goalie cats (W=2, SO=3, SV=0.05)

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes
    D: Green, Schultz, Faulk, Goligoski
    G: Crawford

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by slufoot View Post
    I'd be extremely surprised if the goal wasn't playoffs. Last season was the tank year after all of the injuries hit. I'd expect a D for winger swap sometime before the deadline. Mueller and Hishon's concussion problems have really dealt a blow to their forward depth - something I think Sherman had in the back of his mind going into the season.
    You have anyone specific that you think they'd be after?

Administrator

I see four wing options that I think the Avs should pursue:

Kristian Huselius
    Tuomo Ruutu
    Kyle Okposo
    Brad Boyes

What say you Avs fans?

The Magnificent One

Can I get a little insight onto how Colorado is treating EJ? He came back from injury and did well but in the last 4 he has no points. Looking over the box scores I find some interesting stuff:

4games ago: +1 5SOG 23mins TOI and 29 shifts. OT winner and one of the highest TOI
    3games ago: -1 3SOG 21 mins and 30 shifts
    2 games ago: -1 2SOG 16mins and 22 shifts
    Last game: +1 5SOG 2bs 2hits 18mins and 25 shifts

What's with the up and down TOI poor play I guess but in most games he has had very low Toi compared to other dmen. Is he not the go to guy? Will he be?
    On the positive side his SOGs have been pretty good to great latley.

Thanxs
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Stud

Thoughts on S'OB?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    You have anyone specific that you think they'd be after?
    Before Martin was fired I though Kostitsyn was an option given how poorly the Montreal d was playing - not anymore though.

Boyes and Huselius I agree could be targets, especially with the recent Wisniewski and Sekera injuries.

I think the Isles though would rather part with Bailey than Okposo - and he'd be more to the Avs liking given his salary and the assets needed to attain him (Okposo's price would be higher).

I think Ruutu is too valuable to the Hurricanes for them to deal him. He'll likely be gone before the end of the season though and would make the best fit on the Avs IMO.

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    Can I get a little insight onto how Colorado is treating EJ? He came back from injury and did well but in the last 4 he has no points. Looking over the box scores I find some interesting stuff:

4games ago: +1 5SOG 23mins TOI and 29 shifts. OT winner and one of the highest TOI
    3games ago: -1 3SOG 21 mins and 30 shifts
    2 games ago: -1 2SOG 16mins and 22 shifts
    Last game: +1 5SOG 2bs 2hits 18mins and 25 shifts

What's with the up and down TOI poor play I guess but in most games he has had very low Toi compared to other dmen. Is he not the go to guy? Will he be?
    On the positive side his SOGs have been pretty good to great latley.

Thanxs
    He was playing great into the break at Christmas (I believe those were the first 2 games you listed). After the break, it seemed like his rythym was disrupted and he was back to playing they way he was when struggling at the beginning of the year. Not sure if the icetime was a reflection of that or the cause, but I do think he has to play big minutes to get into a rythym and be effective.

They tend to utilize him in a jack of all-trades role with the majority of his icetime at even strength and the PP. He plays the PK, but sparingly. And he plays 1PP but not exclusively - they sometimes go with Elliott and 4 fwds.

I think Duchene's injury will help as it should bump him up to 1PP consistently. But he seems to have trouble co-existing with Quincey in the lineup as they eat up each other's minutes. The best hockey EJ played all season was when Quincey was injured or scratched.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by lektrix View Post
    Thoughts on S'OB?
    Definitely a PIM source. He does have some offensive upside as he scored around a 30-pt pace back when he broke in with the Ducks, so I don't think the assists are totally unexpected.

He should be scratched more often though as many nights he's been their worst D (usually he or O'Byrne). I guess they're so devoid of sandpaper elsewhere that they don't feel they can take him out.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by slufoot View Post
    Definitely a PIM source. He does have some offensive upside as he scored around a 30-pt pace back when he broke in with the Ducks, so I don't think the assists are totally unexpected.

He should be scratched more often though as many nights he's been their worst D (usually he or O'Byrne). I guess they're so devoid of sandpaper elsewhere that they don't feel they can take him out.
    Why is he paired with EJ on the first pairing?!?! Makes no sense.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by lektrix View Post
    Why is he paired with EJ on the first pairing?!?! Makes no sense.
    They've been the defacto even strength pairing. Hejda-O'Byrne are the primary PK pairing, Elliott plays the PP. That's left EJ and SOB to mop up most ES minutes given the amount of special teams time the Avs have had in the past 5 games or so.

When everyone is healthy, I'd expect the pairings to shake out with EJ-Hejda back together, Quincey-O'Brien, and Elliott-Wilson. Leaving O'Byrne as a scratch.