Thread: Thoughts on a few goalie prospects

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Thoughts on a few goalie prospects

Hey Justin.

I'm looking for your scouting report or thoughts on the following goalie prospects.

1. Atte Engren
    2. John Gibson
    3. Chris Gibson
    4. Jussi Rynnas
    5. Petr Mrazek

Very interested in all of these goalies.
    The other thing I'd like to know is which goalie do you expect to shoot up your prospect rankings, really rise to become one of the best goaltending prospects in the game.

Thanks Justin.
    Last edited by dmvincent; May 22, 2011 at 2:27 AM.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

The King of Diatribes

Hey sorry for the delay, I will answer this or you tonight! Craziness abounds with the 4 goalie signings in 24 hours.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    Hey sorry for the delay, I will answer this or you tonight! Craziness abounds with the 4 goalie signings in 24 hours.
    No worries Justin.
    I would be thrilled if you could answer these questions tonight or tomorrow. Could you possibly include a comparable goalie and the "upside" each one of these netminders has? That would be great, always appreciate your work.

The King of Diatribes

You got it. This will be my first mailbag piece. Expect an answer shortly. Thanks for your patience!!

The King of Diatribes

Ok here you go. I have to head to a meeting, but I didn't want to head off with at least getting you insight on one of the five goalies. When I come back I will finish the rest!

1. ATTE ENGREN - Terrific quickness and very alert, attentive butterfly style ... Plays the traditional Finnish style, one where he relies on active hands and feet to make saves. Isn't the tallest goalie out there, but plays big in the net because he's very active and moves very well. Aggressive, so sometimes he seems out of control. Terrific upside since he works with Mitch Korn. He has always had a real strong presence in my Top-100 Prospects Rankings, and the closer he gets to a full-time gig in North America, the more his current rank will be legitimized. Look for him to try and snag a job in Milwaukee from Jeremy Smith or Chet Pickard in the fall. He is definitely playing in North America next season. I don't expect Engren to shoot up too suddenly because he's always been pretty high. If he makes it to the AHL and performs very well, he'll hit the low-20's at some point next year.

The King of Diatribes

2. JOHN GIBSON - You're looking at a goalie with a great combination of size and athleticism. Even though he's like 6-foot-3 and over 200 pounds, he's swift and has good quickness down low. He has a very calm demeanor in the net, but again he has the speed and flexibility to make the desperation saves. His goalie coach refers to him as "multi-dimensional" but that's not something I can comment on because I haven't seen him play enough. Because he's another USJDP goalie and seems to enjoy elevating his game in the spotlight, he draws some comparisons to Jack Campbell. Gibson has a wider frame in the net and is more of a blocking goalie than a reaction-based goalie. Gibson will go high in the draft and once he's assigned to an NHL team, I'll get a much better idea of his fantasy value. One thing that pulls away from it a little bit is that he's going the college round (university of michigan) as opposed to juniors. But that's sometimes a better route for some goalies. It just depends.

3. CHRIS GIBSON - My personal favorite of the two Gibsons. He's Finnish, so he loves Miikka Kiprusoff. Good skater, reads plays very well. One of the best goalies in the QMJHL this year. Narrowed stance, mimics Kipper in little ways. Aggressive goalie, he challenges well and that's a testament to his skating skills. He's only 6-0 so he's not the biggest guy but clearly has the quickness. With Finnish roots but playing in the QMJHL, he's going to evolve into a solid rock. He'll be able to face a high number of shots, he'll be a terrific skater and he'll have some flair and active style to work on over the next few years. I am not saying that Christopher Gibson is going to be the better goalie to own in a keeper league, but I am saying that I personally like his style more than John's. And of course I love the fact he's getting much more games against better talent in the QMJHL as opposed to NCAA D-1 route.

4. JUSSI RYNNAS - Just a big, wide, crazy fast Finn. So much to love about his game, and sooo much potential. He's already really quick, so imagine in a few more years when Allaire implements some more structure into his technique. Rynnas could explode at any given moment next year, but more likely in 2 more years. To put it in perspective, he's faster than Reimer, but a lot less experienced playing on a smaller rink. Transitioned nicely last year in the AHL but had a frustrating setback with a broken finger, then the surge from Ben Scrivens. He will be tested in training camp with Owuya in the mix, but knowing Brian Burke, he will find a home for all these quality prospects, especially if Reimer turns into a long-term keeper. Just know that Rynnas is still very early in the transition process, but has amazing upside. Top-25 goalie to own right now.

5. PETR MRAZEK - He doesn't have the kind of upside or talent that guys like Gibson(s) and Binnington will have at his age, but Mrazek is a mentally tough goalie with great speed and quickness. Could make a very good Red Wings goalie because of his work ethic and maturity. They did a good job to draft the kind of goalie that fits their mold. He's just not very big. I don't personally have the highest hopes for him, but he could be another guy that spends 3-4 years in the minors before he gets a chance. And on Detroit, that's worth the wait. So don't invest too much in him, but don't forget about him either.

Ummm I definitely like Christopher Gibson as far as shooting up the ranks, then Rynnas with having the actual fantasy value. But in a keeper league, I'm going for Christopher Gibson. Seems like a great team guy, really aware and alert, someone who wants to always get better. With Finnish roots, I'm in his corner. SUOMI + QMJHL = GIBSON somehow hahaha.

Sorry again for taking so long. But yeah. Hope that helps!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I bow to the greatness of Justin Goldman!
    You're awesome, really appreciate it!